Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-17, 12:23 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh1673 View Post
I think basically what it sounds like you want is to turn back the hands of time. And while many of us wish that were possible - it's just not realistic. ...
Sigh. You are right. It's like wishing that leggings would come back in style. Oh wait. That happened, didn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie A. View Post
I'm 21, as well as a proud male vidiot, and am blessed to have found VF five years ago. I stumbled upon it after looking for reviews for Firms (which was how I got started with home exercise--ever since I found the original six Classic clamshells for $1 at a yard sale). That led me to trying a bunch of other instructors and workouts. In fact, if it weren't for VF, I would not have discovered many other great instructors. Plus, I love being a part of the check-ins as they help me keep accountable. I joined in 2014, but got approved and started posting last year around this time.

As far as finding what works for me, I find that I enjoy a variety of workout types, and rotate them each year. I always come back to Firms (and spinoffs), Cathe, and KCM, but love branching out and other great instructors and workouts. Lately I've also joined a dance fitness studio, and have been adding some Zumba classes into my rotations. (Oh, speaking of rotations, I'm a proud rotation rebel.) Mixing my routine up is so important, helping to keep boredom at bay and preventing injuries.

I also find VF a refreshing change-of-pace from social media (which, although I have, rarely use) which is full of drama IMO. Alta/Vintage VFer summed it up nicely. I can barely look on Facebook or Instagram without choking inside. (Seriously.) And when will there be another VFer get-together or road trip? (I'd gladly host one )

Plus, I also love the Exchange and have made lots of successful trades over the past year.

Thank you to Wendy and all the VFers/vidiots for a very welcoming, supportive community.
I'm glad you feel at home at VF, Garrie. It can be a great place!

As for road trips, I'd like to mention that the IDEA Fitness Convention will be in San Diego next summer:

http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-confe...ess-convention

I went to a few wonderful VF get-togethers there. I know that there are other assorted conventions across the country all year 'round.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 12:53 PM  
horsemom2

VF played a huge part in my journey which started with a TaeBo email group over 17 years ago.

I love to share workouts and tech tips.
My main focus is to keep moving while avoiding stress best I can so I have found other ways of sharing and avoiding stress.
(Sadly, drama caused stress.)

I think Wendy is absolutely amazing for what she created and hope many old and new visitors enjoy the forum.

Now and then, I take a peek to see if a new routine seems appealing or if I can help someone find an enjoyable routine.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 01:02 PM  
tangerine

I tried posting sometimes but sometimes I got ignored. It makes me feel the forum only responds to regulars. I am not a newbie but I don't post much, now I just lurk and read the excellent threads that I find here.

I love reading this forum though, been here 13 years and I would be very sad if it disappeared.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 01:09 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
I tried posting sometimes but sometimes I got ignored. It makes me feel the forum only responds to regulars. I am not a newbie but I don't post much, now I just lurk and read the excellent threads that I find here.

I love reading this forum though, been here 13 years and I would be very sad if it disappeared.
I'm sorry you feel ignored! I admit to feeling that way sometimes myself on certain threads. Hadn't really thought about it until your post, but I guess it's another reason why I generally stick to my check in(s) and chat with my regular peeps.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 01:11 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
I try posting sometimes but I get ignored. I sometimes feel the forum only responds to regulars. I am not a newbie but I don't post much, now I just lurk and read the excellent threads that I find here.
Hi. I doubt anyone is ignoring you personally. Sometimes people just don't have the information a thread is asking for or don't have time to open threads - especially those that don't have clear titles. For example, I never open threads with titles like "Need suggestions" or "I love this workout."

I hope you keep asking - or at least reading and responding to threads that interest you.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 01:15 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I started visiting VF in the mid-90s (yikes!), and then took a long break as I worked out in gyms, and then rejoined a few years back when I went back to working out at home. My life is certainly much different now than twenty+ years ago, I wish I had that kind of free time again!

I find most people here to be lovely and supportive. I veer away from drama in all facets of life, so if there's drama, it's unknown to me. I like reading posts and will reply if I feel I can contribute anything.

I would probably only be doing Cathe step workouts if I hadn't learned of so many other instructors and ways of working out!
Lori_Michigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 01:18 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:

Don't give up! I've felt ignored on VF before. The worst is when I start a thread and it gets 500 views and no replies!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 01:48 PM  
horsemom2

Not sure which was more upsetting
being ignored or being attacked?

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 02:21 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Wow, I hate hearing anyone felt attacked here, but I do recall some discussions getting heated and, well, personal.

OTOH, I'm sure we've all felt ignored from time to time. I always thought I was the ultimate thread-killer. But you can't take that kind of thing personally. Most of us don't know each other in real life and so many things get in the way, even if people mean to respond.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 08:17 PM  
tangerine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Wow, I hate hearing anyone felt attacked here, but I do recall some discussions getting heated and, well, personal.

OTOH, I'm sure we've all felt ignored from time to time. I always thought I was the ultimate thread-killer. But you can't take that kind of thing personally. Most of us don't know each other in real life and so many things get in the way, even if people mean to respond.
I don't think it's intentional, I think it's a side effect of the rapport built up between regulars and happens on many message boards. And as Joni says, sometimes people just don't know and it gets skipped over. I don't take it personally as such, but it doesn't encourage me to post more. Not complaining, just giving my point of view since Alta wondered why people post less.

I have seen some of the drama over the years, I haven't been part of it since I don't post much - I guess that can be a positive thing.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check-ins, fun sucking shrew, lurkers, new vfers, old school vfers, vf activity, vintage vfers