Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-05-21, 02:21 PM  
IceQueen07

Streaming Workouts with Satellite Internet

We are planning to move to a rural area that only seems to offer satellite internet (HughesNet) - does anyone stream workouts (Cathe, KCM, YouTube) using satellite? Never realized that internet was so hard to come by in a country setting. I am trying to find options, but there just don't seem to be many

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 04:05 PM  
Demeris

I live in a rural area where the only internet is satellite internet. Exede. The company charges by the gigabyte, so it's very costly to stream workouts. I'm allotted a certain number of gigabytes a month, and I get cut off when I hit my limit, OR I have to pay a huge fee to buy more gigabytes.

It's cheaper for me to buy workouts and then, at the end of the month, when I have a few gigabytes left, to download them.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 04:27 PM  
Lynleigh

I have Hughes Net

I live in a rural area (Southern DE) and have had Hughes net for the past 5 years. We’re allotted a certain amount of data monthly. So, once I use up the data (about halfway through the month) or if it’s running slow, I switch over to using my phone as a hotspot (I have Verizon). Also, there are certain times of the day I find the satellite internet is much faster (morning vs. evening).

Honestly, you won’t know how well it works until you try it for yourself.

Hope this helps!
Lynleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 04:57 PM  
BigBadBetty

Have you look at Starlink? https://www.starlink.com/ I know some people in my area have signed up for it. It is a lower satellite so it is supposed to work better. HughesNet is pretty bad. People only have it if it is their only option.

You can also contact your telephone company. I know some are able to extend fiber to the house if you pay for it. The trouble is finding the person who can help you. When I called, they said they wouldn't do it. The service tech who came out told me not only did they do it, but the the approximate price to do it. The other trouble is paying for it. I know others in my area have paid between $30 - 50K for it.

I am lucky enough to have OK internet out in the sticks. A few miles down the road, I could have fiber. A few miles the other way, I would have no high speed internet and no cellular service either. I had always hoped that there would a project like rural electrification project for internet. There is no financial incentive for telephone/cable companies to lay fiber in sparsely populated areas.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-21, 05:23 PM  
IceQueen07

Thanks. Not looking too good. Add in that I am working remotely now and would be on the internet during the day for work. We found a really nice house on acreage that would have been perfect, but internet seems to be a deal breaker. Never thought that would be an issue.

**Candice**
Old 05-06-21, 08:55 AM  
Rhonda

We tried HughesNet but it never worked for us. Something to do with download speed was too slow.
So for 13 years we used our phones hotspot - no I didn't stream workouts or anything as that would eat up the data. So I was a DVD person.

Now we have internet, very slow but it is enough for me to work from home due to COVID. I can stream workouts and use KCM RAW and Les Mills on Demand.

Somehow there was a grant given out to upgrade us small rural country people to get internet and I think COVID may have sped it up due to kids needing to be online.

Given if I lived 5 minutes in one direction I would have high speed but we don't. Maybe one day we will be faster but I will take what I can now.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-21, 12:04 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynleigh View Post
So, once I use up the data (about halfway through the month) or if it’s running slow, I switch over to using my phone as a hotspot (I have Verizon).
when using your phone as a hotspot, roughly how much does that cost?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-21, 01:50 PM  
Lynleigh

Unlimited

I have unlimited data on my Verizon plan so it doesn’t cost me any extra.
Old 05-06-21, 03:21 PM  
IceQueen07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynleigh View Post
I have unlimited data on my Verizon plan so it doesn’t cost me any extra.
Do hotspots work well? Someone mentioned that to us. We have Verizon for one of our cell phones.

**Candice**
Old 05-06-21, 03:36 PM  
Lynleigh

Hotspots

My hotspot does work okay. I know you can buy a "booster" that will help amplify your hotspot to help it work better. I do not have any experience with a "booster" so I can't comment on it's effectiveness.

Tags
hughes.net, internet provider, internet speed