Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-30-21, 08:00 PM  
dnna

Gemini You deserve all the love and respect and happiness that comes your way! I wish all of that for you!
being happy in your own skin is priceless. Don't let anyone take it away from you.

donna
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-21, 09:19 PM  
moonbeam31

Everyone, I really love this! I was literally thinking about this today after my workout, Jessica Smith of course. I am 48, a mother of 3. I've been up and down in weight over the years. I have always been a little overweight, but strong and healthy. At my thinnest and most fit, I was still far from my WW goal even though I was in a size 12 bottoms and M tops. Very discouraging. I looked great! I'm now in a 16/18 bottoms and an XL or L tops, but this is were my body always settles when I'm not trying so hard to lose weight. I finally got my own workout room in our home! I have been enjoying all my DVDs and my Slim Cycle. I love Jessica Smith and Suzanne Bowen has also been on a very positive stance lately about accepting yourself and life being more than just losing weight. I heard a very sad story today about a 38 yr old woman who recently died of a blood clot after a tummy tuck. She was a wife and mother. It is not worth it! I wish she could have been more accepting of her body and what it has done for her. Men don't have this pressure, they never would!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 04:17 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam31 View Post
. I love Jessica Smith and Suzanne Bowen has also been on a very positive stance lately about accepting yourself and life being more than just losing weight. I heard a very sad story today about a 38 yr old woman who recently died of a blood clot after a tummy tuck. She was a wife and mother. It is not worth it! I wish she could have been more accepting of her body and what it has done for her. Men don't have this pressure, they never would!
Thank you for posting! I really need to hear more of these stories and experiences!

I've been struggling with disordered eating and exercise for my entire life. I'm 53 now. Many years ago, I was reading a book about eating disorders and it discussed a woman who also struggled her whole life and was afraid her headstone would say, "Wanted to be thin" because that was the focus of her life. That scared me and I didn't want to be that woman. But here I am - probably 20 years after I read that book - and it's still a battle every minute of every day. I don't know how to stop my brain from feeling the way it does.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 06:59 AM  
alisoncooks

I am 100% on board with all of this.

I was reading through some old threads recently and came across this post of mine and thought, "Wow, I really needed to hear this again."

Quote:
I love results that are about feeling good. I get super-focused on what will make me smaller...but I finally asked myself:

What if I never get smaller? What do I want to be, instead of how do I want to look?

So I decided that I would choose my workouts based on what I WOULD gain (strength, balance, agility, flexibilty) instead of what I MIGHT lose.

Anyway, best wishes to those on a similar path.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 07:51 AM  
Mickey12

Alison, great post! I totally agree with this philosophy.
Old 05-01-21, 10:24 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
Alison, great post! I totally agree with this philosophy.
Thanks! I read it and thought, "5-yrs-ago-Me was so wise. What happened?!"
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 11:18 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Thank you for posting! I really need to hear more of these stories and experiences!

I've been struggling with disordered eating and exercise for my entire life. I'm 53 now. Many years ago, I was reading a book about eating disorders and it discussed a woman who also struggled her whole life and was afraid her headstone would say, "Wanted to be thin" because that was the focus of her life. That scared me and I didn't want to be that woman. But here I am - probably 20 years after I read that book - and it's still a battle every minute of every day. I don't know how to stop my brain from feeling the way it does.

Erica
Have you tried Cognitive Behavioral Therapy? My issue was anxiety, and I worked through a CBT workbook. It helped me to retrain my brain. There are also therapists trained in CBT. However, I don't know a lot about eating disorders, but your comment about your brain brought CBT to mind.
Old 05-01-21, 11:40 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Have you tried Cognitive Behavioral Therapy? My issue was anxiety, and I worked through a CBT workbook. It helped me to retrain my brain. There are also therapists trained in CBT.
I saw a helpful therapist for a short time many years ago but I don't think it was CBT. I'd like to try it again but just can't justify the cost after having several years of very expensive medical issues.

Do you remember the specific workbook you used? I'm glad you found something to help with the anxiety!

Erica
Old 05-01-21, 11:43 AM  
Erica H.

Alison - I agree, wonderful post! Thanks for sharing.

Erica
Old 05-01-21, 12:54 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I saw a helpful therapist for a short time many years ago but I don't think it was CBT. I'd like to try it again but just can't justify the cost after having several years of very expensive medical issues.

Do you remember the specific workbook you used? I'm glad you found something to help with the anxiety!

Erica
I can relate, I couldn't afford therapy either. And perhaps there are similar workbooks for eating disorders, I haven't searched for that. But my workbook was The Anxiety & Worry Workbook by David A. Clark and Aaron T. Beck.

https://www.amazon.com/Anxiety-Worry.../dp/160623918X

TBH, I didn't do all the worksheets. There are a lot! Most of the time, I did each worksheet once. It's also hard to copy them out of the book. I did a google search for the worksheets, and did find images. Perhaps they can be printed.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=The+Anxiet...ages&ia=images

Tags
body acceptance, jessica smith, lift and shift, mindset, results