Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-17, 12:32 PM  
TinaT

Hope you're all sitting down before reading this!

Many of you know that I'm a die hard dvd, gotta have the real thing, kinda gal. Well .... (insert drum roll here) ... I tried one of Jessica Smith's free workouts on Youtube. No kidding... I really did! Actually it was 2 routines that clocked in at appx 35 minutes.

I actually liked what I did and the time went by pretty quick. I did a walking routine with upper body, which gave me the 4-limb feel I like so much. Then I added a lower body walking routine to finish off the legs. The music, ... horrid, but I'm trying to push past it. I really do like her personality and calm demeanor.

My HR was in the zone but not at the high end. I tried keeping where my doc said would be most effective for burning and leaving me energy for the rest of the day. I have been too tired most days after working out, even with good food choices, so maybe this will work for me.

Any favorite JS Youtube routines around 30 minutes I should check out? Doesn't have to be walking. Strength is also a must for me. Thanks for any suggestions.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-17, 12:56 PM  
cindyw75

I love so many of her workouts. I usually go to her channel and view the playlists, then I pick more specific types of workouts (walking, strength, kickboxing, yoga, etc.).

My all-time favorites that I reach for over and over again are:
Cardio Ball Blast
Cardio Kickboxing Abs
30-Minute Power Walk
Low-Impact Quiet Cardio
30 Minute Yoga Stretch

For strength, I actually prefer to do DVD's, but these are really good:
Straight Up Strength
Total Body Toning with Weights
Superset Sculpt
cindyw75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-17, 02:01 PM  
TinaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyw75 View Post
I love so many of her workouts. I usually go to her channel and view the playlists, then I pick more specific types of workouts (walking, strength, kickboxing, yoga, etc.).

My all-time favorites that I reach for over and over again are:
Cardio Ball Blast
Cardio Kickboxing Abs
30-Minute Power Walk
Low-Impact Quiet Cardio
30 Minute Yoga Stretch

For strength, I actually prefer to do DVD's, but these are really good:
Straight Up Strength
Total Body Toning with Weights
Superset Sculpt
Thanks for the list. I'll check them out.
Old 05-15-17, 04:20 PM  
TinaT

Just finishing watching this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7s8...ia6gPNme99v8cV

The title of "knee friendly" caught my attention. I really want to like barre as well. I'm trying this one tomorrow.
Old 05-16-17, 12:11 PM  
TinaT

I didn't end up doing the workout that I linked above. Just wasn't feeling any weight work today. I ventured into her walking routines and found a 30 power walk WO that actually went by pretty fast.

I don't think I would ever get into the paid sites for routines, but I will say JS has made it nice to workout with all the choices she offers. I was able to keep my HR right where my docs wants it. Even with keeping my arms at shoulder level, never going above my head. (neck issue flare up as of late).

I know, I'm late to the party and almost missed the bandwagon all together.
Old 05-16-17, 12:36 PM  
cindyw75

I'm so glad you found JS and that you are enjoying her workouts.

I found her about 3 years ago, and I haven't looked back. I love the variety she offers on YouTube (and in her DVDs). Even on my most un-motivated days, I can find something in her library that will hit the spot...whether it's a barefoot fusion walk, 10-minute cardio, yoga, etc. I love that she constantly reminds you that anything is better than nothing. And I love that she always shows ways to modify the moves, because sometimes I just can't "bring it."
cindyw75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-17, 01:34 PM  
TinaT

I have followed many threads about her over the years and tried a few of her workouts. I have always like her personality and demeanor. I think it's been very timely that my doctor talked with me about my HR and trying Jessica. I am able to keep it right where he thought I should be.

I am constantly fighting to keep my HR down when doing other methods, which I thought was a good thing. But after 8 weeks, I'm finding I'm tired beyond the norm. So giving JS a try over the next 3 weeks will be good for me.
Old 05-16-17, 04:39 PM  
seabliss

For strength from Jessica, I like:
Strictly Strength
Bikini Body Circuit (dumb name, good workout)
The shape workouts (Pear, Hourglass, etc.)--I especially like the Straight Shape workout because it's kind of fun, and I think it's good for me even though that's not my shape! You can go as heavy as you want to make them as challenging as you need.

Some of her others are good too and a little tougher: Chisel and Burn, 30-Minute Strength Training for Women, and Metabolic Conditioning, for example.

I also like:
Slim Saddlebags and Inner Thighs (good and fun, no weights)
and some of her Barre lower body workouts. I like to pair the one above with a barre to really hit the lower body.

I also recently tried and was surprised to find I liked: Her 1-mile upper body circuit. I feel I need more movement in my day, and this gives some nice upper body dumbbell work too.

Cheryl
Old 05-16-17, 07:39 PM  
donnamp

I loved the title of this thread - it really got me curious!

I really enjoy all of Jessica's workouts and i would guess that I do her workouts about 75% of the time. The intensity and variety are just right for me and there is no dread at all. I enjoy her DVDs and You Tube workouts.

Another You Tube instructor I enjoy is Jenny Ford. She doesn't have the variety that Jessica does - she does basic step aerobics, low impact, "marching" and very straightforward weight work. Music is bad, but she does film quite a few workouts outdoors - so that is always nice!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-17, 08:23 AM  
TinaT

Thanks Donna, I'll check her out.

Tags
jessica smith, jessica smith workouts