Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-31-15, 03:05 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Wow Sugar, that video makes me want to get the Rack! Are the exercises she shows on the dvd? I wouldn't be creative enough figure out moves to do on my own. She is amazing.
Most of them yes and a few others she didn't demo (I agree she is awesome!), the only ones I remembered that weren't there are the ones she did with legs on the wall, the dive bomber push-ups, push-ups knee to elbows, reverse sliding lunge and the ones for the booty (lying on the seat pad). Most of The Rack workouts are on youtube, if you would like to check them out (my second link in my first post was a Rack wo). Note: I did use dumbbells, for bicep curls and such, I got nice upper body def. and loss inches on my waist, I should added more leg focuses add ons (as I need more than squats and lunges for my legs), but overal I was pleased with the rotation.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-15, 03:53 PM  
Chomper

For equipment lovers,

This is the dip station I preferred over the Equalizer bars. I found out about it because Zuzana was using it on the Body Rock site:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Body-...te+dip+station

But for a similar amount of money one could get this, and do pull-ups too:

http://www.amazon.com/Stamina-50-169...ds=Power+tower

Which is what I might wind up having to do. Pretty positive inverted rows can be done with the handles for the dips.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 06:14 AM  
Sophb21

Thanks for all your replies! You guys have mentioned lots of exercises I don't know the name to so I'll have to google them!

I have a small home gym so maybe I can find something that I can clip a resistance band on to it, unless I wrap the resistance band straight on to the the top bar where the bar clips in for the pull down exercises? Or would that damage the band you think?

I might be able to get like a TRX (is that the right name or is that a brand of Subru car lol - probably should've waited to take my evening pain killers until I finish writing this) system and clip it to the home gym. Or see if hubby can drill a clip to the wall so I can put a TRX system in.

The issue is where my home gym is located is in our games room which runs through the dining/kitchen/informal lounge and it's all open plan so I don't have much full wall space nor areas where I could have a permanent bar as such.

The other option which I'd like to avoid is I could hang the TRX system outside under the alfresco area.
Sophb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 07:25 AM  
Chomper

I am not sure I understand the resistance band question. Do you have a door anchor for your band, or is the problem that your home gym area does not have a door? It sounds like you might have a home gym machine? If it is sturdy then Or if you have a pullup bar, you can absolutely wrap your band around it to do lat pull downs and other exercises. If the band is strong enough, and the bar is sturdy enough and stable, you can use it to assist your pull-ups.

These work: http://www.amazon.com/Body-Bands-Pul...s=pullup+bands

Also, for suspension trainers, and yes TRX is a brand of suspension trainer, I had a mount installed high up on the wall into a stud. There are inexpensive options, I have this:

http://www.amazon.com/WOSS-Stainless...pension+system

ETA: ideally you would want to put the mount on the ceiling, because you can do a wider range of exercises. Suspension trainers work best if you can be directly underneath them. That way you can also do modified pull-ups seated underneath the anchor point.
Old 09-01-15, 09:21 AM  
Sophb21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
I am not sure I understand the resistance band question. Do you have a door anchor for your band, or is the problem that your home gym area does not have a door? It sounds like you might have a home gym machine? If it is sturdy then Or if you have a pullup bar, you can absolutely wrap your band around it to do lat pull downs and other exercises. If the band is strong enough, and the bar is sturdy enough and stable, you can use it to assist your pull-ups.

These work: http://www.amazon.com/Body-Bands-Pul...s=pullup+bands

Also, for suspension trainers, and yes TRX is a brand of suspension trainer, I had a mount installed high up on the wall into a stud. There are inexpensive options, I have this:

http://www.amazon.com/WOSS-Stainless...pension+system

ETA: ideally you would want to put the mount on the ceiling, because you can do a wider range of exercises. Suspension trainers work best if you can be directly underneath them. That way you can also do modified pull-ups seated underneath the anchor point.
Sorry about the confusion it sounded right in my head - we need a VF mind reading ability!

Thank you for your answer - you perfectly answered my question I have a home gym system that you do the leg raises while sitting down, arm stuff etc and I wasn't sure if I could just just wrap the resistance band straight onto the actual gym system or if I'd need a special little device to do it as it might damage the band from rubbing against the pole or wherever I wrap it around. I hope that makes sense!

The area where our actual workout room is doesn't really have anywhere to have like a permanent pull up bar as such but I might be able to get hubby to put up a clip or something to that effect where I can put a suspension system in. Plus I'd definitely need modification as I don't think I'd ever be able to do a proper pull up anyway lol

I'm off to check out your recommendations!from what I gather from this thread is that equalizer bats aren't my best option for what I need. I do like the look of The Rack system but I'm afraid I can't get it here in Melbourne.

Thanks for your help
Sophb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 10:20 AM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophb21 View Post
Sorry about the confusion it sounded right in my head - we need a VF mind reading ability!

Thank you for your answer - you perfectly answered my question I have a home gym system that you do the leg raises while sitting down, arm stuff etc and I wasn't sure if I could just just wrap the resistance band straight onto the actual gym system or if I'd need a special little device to do it as it might damage the band from rubbing against the pole or wherever I wrap it around. I hope that makes sense!

The area where our actual workout room is doesn't really have anywhere to have like a permanent pull up bar as such but I might be able to get hubby to put up a clip or something to that effect where I can put a suspension system in. Plus I'd definitely need modification as I don't think I'd ever be able to do a proper pull up anyway lol

I'm off to check out your recommendations!from what I gather from this thread is that equalizer bats aren't my best option for what I need. I do like the look of The Rack system but I'm afraid I can't get it here in Melbourne.

Thanks for your help
Well, it was also early in the morning for me, so I wasn't fully awake either.

What type of gym machine do you have? I am wondering if it has a cable, and you could just use that for lat pull downs without even worrying about what to do with a band. I think most gym machines have lat pull down/cable stuff (not that I am an expert). Can you post a link to a description?

Also, even if you can do lat pull downs on the machine, which is awesome, I still recommend you eventually get a suspension trainer too.
Old 09-02-15, 07:22 AM  
katmom

Sophb21, not sure this will help you since you are in Australia, but TRX is having a Labor Day sale. The code is LABORDAY15 for $50 off orders over $150. They do ship overseas, however, the shipping costs will vary by location.
Old 09-02-15, 09:32 AM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmom View Post
Sophb21, not sure this will help you since you are in Australia, but TRX is having a Labor Day sale. The code is LABORDAY15 for $50 off orders over $150. They do ship overseas, however, the shipping costs will vary by location.
Ooh thank you! I have been wanting the TRX Rip Trainer for over a year... This might be the time to bite.
Old 09-02-15, 09:59 AM  
Chomper

This is one way a suspension trainer can help you master the pullup. You need it mounted to a ceiling or outdoors somewhere where the anchor point is directly over your head.

http://elsbethvaino.com/2011/05/use-...up-to-pullups/
Old 09-02-15, 12:36 PM  
katmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
This is one way a suspension trainer can help you master the pullup. You need it mounted to a ceiling or outdoors somewhere where the anchor point is directly over your head.

http://elsbethvaino.com/2011/05/use-...up-to-pullups/
I wish I had the option to install it so that the anchor point was over my head so I am stuck with the door anchor. However, I am short and can adjust the TRX straps enough that I can achieve the same seated second progression position (legs straight, hovering as it was described) as demostrated in this video. Quite honestly, if this is the best I can do for a pull-up, I am happy.

Tags
equalizer, equipment, equipment for p90x3, lebert equalizer, pull ups, pullups, the rack