Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-15, 11:00 AM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

I did day 2 workout today which is the Strength Interval Walk. I enjoyed it. I actually worked up a nice sweat using only 3 lb hand weights. So far these have been good little workouts!!

"By far the most important application is those 18 inches between the table and your mouth. Your diet. Eat clean to get rid of fat." Robert Kennedy, Oxygen Magazine

"Having the body you want starts with loving the body you have." Mandy Ingber, Shape Magazine
Denise R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 01:25 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh1673 View Post
I so agree, and the bolded sums up how I feel about Jessica. And Jessica vs. Leslie.

I do like Leslie and I think she has some solid workouts. But omg her chatter just borders on inane at times. I actually did her "4 Fast Miles" this morning and it's a good, challenging workout. But her banter with Jimmy, her daughter, Kim---heck just about everybody in that workout -- drives me nuts. I've started muting her workouts and playing my own workouts.

With Jessica, I've never felt the need to do this. She may occasionally chat with the background people, but it's very brief and she gets right back to the workout. Her workouts, overall, are just more professional, polished, and as you said, balanced.
I used to be the type not to "suffer fools gladly", but I realize at my age (soon to be 61), that I was not brilliant then, am not now; am used to hearing the most inane, absurd stuff all around me (no, I do not hang out at some tweedy think tank, for starters; I wouldn't get past their security ) ... and in quantity ... Above all, I do not battle any possible tendency to burst a blood vessel. Has never been what my problem is.

So that patter [not unlike the East Coast bull$#it from instructors in live classes] hardly irks me anymore about Leslie Sansone, to whom, otherwise, I can easily work out to (at least the HiiT, refreshingly newly-casted videos of hers)

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 12:21 AM  
bjones

I've done the 30 minute Pyramid and liked the way the beats per minute slowly increase, peak at 155bpm at 15 minutes, and then slowly decrease. The 30 minute Fat Blaster varies between 140-150 bpm and is not hard. Haven't yet tried the 15 minute or the 40 yet. I did the Healthy Back and its good like PT type stuff. I liked the 20 minute chair stretch, especially because I have plantar fasciitis and have been unable to do poses with my back foot extended, like warrior, triangle, etc. Well, she does them using the chair to support your weight and I was so happy to learn that! Because my body has really missed those yoga moves.
The Toning one uses the band and looks easier than the Strength Interval which uses 3 to 5# hand weights. I wouldn't consider them as strength training, more like just light lifting to get some blood flowing into the muscles and raise the heart rate. I like to use 10-15# for strength training.
Overall I'm very pleased with the variety, the different moves in each one, the nice bright set, and the fun factor.
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 05:36 AM  
Cher

So far I’ve done the 30 Minute Hiit Walk and the 30 Minute Strength Interval Walk.

I liked the Hiit Walk. As Donna said, Jessica does a warm-up, 4 intervals with 3 minutes of faster walking moves and 2 minutes of higher intensity walking, then a cool-down. She does jog, jump and other high impact moves during the interval (but her mom stays low-impact). I liked it and felt like I got in a decent workout in the 30 minutes. I did end up adding on the bonus Strong Knees & Hips routine from her 5 Fat Burning Miles dvd because I had more time and wanted to do more than 30 minutes.

Yesterday I tried the 30 Minute Strength Interval Walk. I liked it but I didn’t feel it was enough lower body work or chest work for me. I really don’t like these kind of workouts where they use the same weight for everything. It’s never heavy enough for my lower half. I wore my 12 lb. weighted vest plus held two 8 lb. weights for the 2 lower body segments. Then I would have to hurry and switch to a lighter weight for the upper body segments. After I finished that workout, I added on 2 sets of push-ups and Cathe’s the PLB Stability Ball segment and the stretch.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 08:28 AM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

I did the Pyramid Walk and enjoyed it however I do believe taking the last 6 minutes to basically stop walking was too long. I think maybe 3 minutes would have been sufficient. I may try to do my own rotation, adding in real weight work. These are great add ons.

"By far the most important application is those 18 inches between the table and your mouth. Your diet. Eat clean to get rid of fat." Robert Kennedy, Oxygen Magazine

"Having the body you want starts with loving the body you have." Mandy Ingber, Shape Magazine
Denise R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 09:32 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Here are my notes on Strength Interval:

This was a 30 min walk that used hand weights throughout. In the intro Jessica mentions using 3-10 lb weights, but I would say, no higher than 5's for this b/c you do hold the weights for just about the entire 30 min program and I would think holding anything heavier than the 5's for that long would stress your joints. I went w/ 3's today (as did Beth - Jessica used 5's and Debbie used body weight only). I didn't think this one was as challenging as Tread & Shred (but I may have to do that one again just to be sure). It was easy to follow, a good selection of basic exercises - nothing really new as compared to Jessica's other strength walks. Bright set and positive music! they did this workout in front of the sliding door so you could see outside. And, I always like the countdown timer at the end. Like the walk I did yesterday, I don't feel this is a "must" have if you have her other strength walks, but if you are a big fan and don't mind a little overlap in your collection this is a nice one to have as well.

I agree that this one is not necessarily "enough" as a stand-alone workout if your focus is strength training (I think a better example of one that may be is Leslie's older walk strong or Chris Freytag's exercise TV walking workouts - those were more circuits where you did walking cardio followed by just straight up weight work). We'll see what her other strength workout in this kit is like - forget the title, but it looks like it uses a resistance band.

I do think these workouts would compliment a strength training rotation - either to do on days alternating w/ strength training or to do with a half hour or so straight up strength routine on the same day.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 09:34 AM  
sherry7899

Denise-I did the Pyramid walk this morning also. I was also surprised when she went to the cooldown with six minutes left. I did enjoy the walk, though.

I have tried three walks so far. I may try the chair stretch tonight.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 06:14 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I just got my new set yesterday and began today with the Interval Strength walk. I used 5 pound weights (as did Jessica) and it was challenging for the overhead/shoulder exercises, but (as Cher mentioned) not quite enough weight for the lower body. Next time I will pick up heavier weights. Good workout though, and I was sweating!

It's been a while since I've walked with Jessica or done her youtube workouts, but I like her very much. Very sweet, personable, professional and her workouts are good. I just have so many DVDs, it's difficult to get to all the instructors I enjoy. ;-)

I am looking forward to seeing what else this set has to offer!

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 06:29 PM  
Cher

I did the Pyramid Power Walk today too. It was a decent walk workout. It starts with the warm-up and gradually speeds up the walk (and adds running, jumping, etc with Jessica’s mom modify to low impact) then slow it back down until you get to the cool-down. Like others have said, I too thought the cool-down part was a little too long but overall I liked the workout.

After that, I did the Bonus Healthy Back workout which I loved! Core work and back work which are usually the most dreaded workouts for me. My hip was bothering me (like it does every day) and this workout felt like it sort of helped realign my spine and hips while strengthening a bit. By the time I finished the workout, my hips weren’t bothering me anymore! I think this might be one of those little workouts that I should be doing often!
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 07:07 PM  
donnamp

Cheryl, thanks for mentioning the back workout! I struggle w/ lower back and hip issues (and upper back/neck, sometimes, too - but I think that is work related). I am often stiff in my hip/lower back - I do yoga (mostly Jill Miller) and Classical Stretch often to work on those areas.

I have Pyramid Walk up for tomorrow.

So far, I'm happy w/ the set - even though it is somewhat duplicative of other workouts by Jessica that I already have - these have all been low dread and positive workouts that will keep me on track through the challenging month of Sept!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jessica smith, jessica smith workouts