Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-08-14, 01:33 PM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
That was a great article! I remember seeing my dad (a lifelong runner) do those. Now to find a spotter....
I use a sit up bar (the kind that attaches to the door). Had to pad the holds a bit more to make it comfy since they are usually designed to go over the top of shoes. High tops can also help with that

Personally, if I had to wait on a spotter, I would never get anything done
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-14, 02:30 PM  
LAC

IIRC, in one of Mindy Mylrea's workouts she has you lie on your back, put your feet on top of a stability ball, raise your butt off the floor and then roll the ball in and out while pressing down with your heels and she says doing that move will give you beautiful hamstrings.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-14, 03:19 PM  
PrairieGem

LAC, that move (stability ball heel curls) is in a Prevention Magazine workout I have, too. I remember hunting down a mod for it, since I didn't want to drag up my ball for one move, but I can't remember what I did instead....
Old 06-08-14, 04:48 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
IIRC, in one of Mindy Mylrea's workouts she has you lie on your back, put your feet on top of a stability ball, raise your butt off the floor and then roll the ball in and out while pressing down with your heels and she says doing that move will give you beautiful hamstrings.
I do fine with most other leg exercises, can squat and lunge till the cows come home, but those things KILL me! I can only do a few and then cramp up.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-14, 06:50 PM  
edensmom

This was in my facebook feed last week: http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com/life-h...ur-hamstrings/.

I have been focusing more on hamstring development myself in the past couple weeks. I like to do the more hamstring specific exercises at the beginning of the workout while my legs are still "fresh." If my legs are already tired I think the quads can take over and do most of the work, if that makes sense. Also working them more often is good for a lagging body part.

If you have resistance tubing with handles, you can shut one end in a door, push your toe through the handle and do standing kickbacks. I like hip thrust variations, hamstring curls with the stability ball, prone hip extension on the stability ball or bench, and single leg deadlifts. For cardio, walking or running stairs (or the step mill at the gym), incline walking/running/sprinting, hiking, swings.

As far as a specific workout, I've not done any myself but I have heard the Ballet Body downloads with hamstrings focus are quite good, and effective. Maybe someone else can be more specific here. The downloads are short so it would be easy to do one two or three times a week as an add-on, but as I mentioned I would do it first.

HTH.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-14, 08:56 AM  
Yelly

You guys are great! Thanks so much for the two articles (which I loved!), and workout suggestions. I completely forgot about Ballet Body having hamstring-specific workouts. I'm going to start using those again, as well as the other suggestions of Cathe, Mindy, etc.
Thanks everyone!
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-14, 11:07 AM  
MARIKA

What are everyones favorite BB downloads for hamstrings?
Old 06-10-14, 10:01 AM  
MARIKA

Old 06-10-14, 10:57 AM  
Carb8985

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIKA View Post
I was going to "second" Ballet Body for having good hamstring work. My favorite segments are any of the Back of the Leg segments (there are three). I also like the Stretch-Reflex Activated Training (awesome essentric hamstring moves) and any of the Bridge segments (especially the Bridges at the Wall). The Pretzel segments also work my hamstrings, but I know a lot of people don't like pretzel
Carb8985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-14, 11:48 AM  
MARIKA

I Love pretzel moves! I was thinking the Back of the Leg segments would be good. The Eccentric one sounds interesting Thanks

Tags
hamstrings, leg workouts