Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-21, 12:30 PM  
daisyduke

Better results from mixing it up or following a program?

Do you get better results from mixing things up or following a set rotation? Thanks I’m advance!
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-21, 01:44 PM  
LoveVA

I just posted something similar maybe a month ago: I came to the realization that I get much better results following a program.

I have spent most of my time mixing it up with my own DVDs (I'm also advanced) and getting nowhere.

After Phase 1 of 80 Day Obsession, it dawned on me that the only time I've slimmed down, firmed up, really gotten physically stronger, and really seen an improvement in my cardio endurance was when I did Brazil Butt Lift years ago, then 21 Day Fix Extreme Real Time back in December 2020 and then 80 DO this year. I'm doing 6 Weeks of the Work now and then will follow it up with 9 Week Control Freak (off the wall version) when that gets fully released.

I might just spend this year doing programs.

My overall eating habits have not changed, so it's the workouts.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-21, 08:25 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Though I mentally enjoy mixing things up, time & time again I've gotten better results by following a prescribed program. Applies to hiking, strength training, and I really noticed it with yoga.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 03:03 AM  
bex

For me, the key is loosely following a programme.

I discovered I do best with numbered programmes, like RKS, which had workouts 1-30. I do them in order, but not necessarily on their schedule. I'll take a day off or do something else as necessary for my schedule, how my body feels, or just to give myself a break from one instructor. But then I go back to wherever I left off, and keep going until I've done them all.

That gives me the perfect blend of a structure (I know what's next on deck), and the feeling of progression, which is important for my motivation. But I always give myself permission to take a side detour and come back to it.

I'm currently on that kind of pause from Caroline Girvan's EPIC as I irritated my shoulder from too many pushups & overhead snatches. But when I get back, I'll pick up from workout 38 and keep going at whatever pace, until I get to workout 50.

I'm in the best shape of my life.
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 06:23 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I've never followed a program, per se. I do follow a set routine so I know what "type" of workout I'm doing the next day. I started this way back with The Firm 90-Day Rotation and their many other rotations. If I'm forced to do a particular workout that I don't feel like doing that day, I don't enjoy it and it makes me crabby. I also allow myself some leeway. For example, today is a weight day but I don't have time to do weights after my online Essentrics class today, so I'll do weights tomorrow when I only have my morning walk scheduled. Keeps me motivated and not dreading any particular workout. Being consistent because I enjoy what I'm doing works for me!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 08:28 AM  
buffmama

Following a program. I can't be expected to push myself as hard as someone else will.
Old 04-28-21, 09:01 AM  
DCW

If I get up and do any exercise I think I have done a program!!! 😂
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 09:13 AM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 11:36 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

the key is being accountable, which drives consistency. if you're new to "what needs to be done" then it's educational to follow a prescribed rotation to learn.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 01:24 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
If I get up and do any exercise I think I have done a program!!! 😂
Me too! I am consistent & workout pretty much every day, but I love variety. Unless I am teaching a class, I rarely plan my workouts ahead.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
programs, results, systems