Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-20, 08:18 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Rael Pilates System 17 and Yoga with Adriene, Yoga for Concentration and Focus. We didn't do much today, I got some cleaning done and that always feels good. We were told we might have rain today but nope, not a cloud in the sky and temps in the mid to high 90's.

Anita, I'm sure you're nervous, but hip replacements are common surgeries now. I'll bet your doctor has done dozens of them and this is same old, same old for him/her. Close your eyes, breathe deeply, you will be fine. Compression socks are a nusiance. My SD was supposed to wear them but never did - he couldn't get them on without help and then complained they hurt. Hopefully you won't have to wear them long. My dogs always hated getting their nails trimmed - hope Gus is in good spirits when you go to fetch him. He'll probably be hurt when you reject him from bed, but I'm sure he'll be fine if you fuss over him. Thanks for your good wishes for my DH's procedure, we'll both be happier when this is behind us.

DeeDee, good job doing such an active workout when it's so hot. I try to workout before it gets really hot too.

Laura, sorry your DH was in so much pain this morning. It sounds as though you are getting more tutorials - so glad business is picking up for you. Many people are making a living online these days. I would love to get a haircut. There are a few places open near me but they have to be outside, something about that seems odd to me, like how do they wash your hair outside? Your Dad sounds like a good man - too bad he wasn't my sisters' pastor. When all this is over I will go to NC to spend time with the family - I miss them all so much.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-20, 07:10 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Surgery day! I still need to do my final shower with disinfectant, but otherwise I'm ready - have to be there in two hours. Gus wasn't happy getting kicked out of my bedroom - lots of little barks on the other side of the door. I still let him out at about 1 am and 4 am and he chased some sort of animal away from my water feature - I assume a raccoon. I'll still keep the bedroom door closed today, but hope I can sleep with him when I get back. My friends will be driving me to the clinic and giving Gus his walk.

Dede, having my surgery on a Friday when their clinic closes at 7 am Saturday kind of limits what happens there. Guess they thought I'd be a good enough patient to have the short period there. Going home tonight is easier than managing it in the morning.

Laura, so glad your dad stood up for women in his career . Hope your DH is feeling better today!

Paula, I did compression socks after the knee surgery - they are tough to get on! I don't think the sock assistance tool can handle that compression force! I'll have my friend help me get them on and hopefully by the time she leaves, I'll be able to reach my foot on the surgery side. Gus did OK with his nail trim and got a good walk in afterwards.

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart!)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-20, 05:54 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I went on a walk this morning and then did band strength work before lunch. It was haircut day, baby! My hair was just getting too thick, which means she got me past how bad it was after the shutdown. I also cooked meatloaf for DH for dinner.

Paula - When you asked how they would wash your hair outside, I got a clear image of a hose... MY DH hasn't been to see his family in WV since this all started and it has been hard, especially with his mom being 87 years old. I can understand your wanting to come when it's safe.

Anita - I hope everything went smoothly today and you are doing okay. I assume that Gus is going to be confused for a while.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-20, 07:05 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Today was Lift It Hit It Back, Biceps, and Shoulders. And day 12 of the Qi Gong 30-day challenge.

I hope Anita is recovering well and is pain-free. I'm so glad she has friends to help her in her recovery.

Looking forward to the weekend. I don't know why. Maybe it's a mental thing.

We have rain and thunder right now. I think it's supposed to move out soon.

I watched the news tonight. I always do, but man, it sure is depressing. It feels almost apocalyptic sometimes. I usually come back to the computer and watch the puppies for a while. I need something positive to watch after all that.

Everyone enjoy your weekend.
Old 08-21-20, 08:23 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. My workout this morning was Pahla B's Chair Workout Cardio & Strength followed by Yoga with Adriene, Yoga for Anxiety and Stress.

Anita, by the time I'm writing this your surgery is over and, hopefully, it went well. Gus will be glad to have you home even if he can't sleep on your bed. Be well, my friend.

Laura, happy haircut day! Yes they could shampoo our hair with a hose here in So. Cal - I've done that before but don't care to do it again. Yeah, not being able to see family is one of the worst aspects of this virus.

Deedee, you are so right that the news is depressing. Pictures of puppies, good and uplifting. I find myself avoiding the news, just can't take it. I've never been that sort of person - head in the sand sort - before. Now with the virus and politics and fires and protests and police misconduct and etc. etc. etc. I've just over loaded on negitivity.
Old 08-22-20, 08:25 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Surgery is done! I came home 4 hours post-op and have been putzing around my house on the upper floor. I did PT for stairs and passed and had no problems coming home. I slept OK with Gus. At home I have to wear pressure socks and a device that massages my lower legs to try to prevent blood clots. Appetite is light but good. Pain is at lower levels from before the surgery, but I feel more muscle pain around the surgery - normal - the stuff they gave me during surgery is wearing off today, so I'll be on painkillers.

I fed Gus this morning, but my friends will take him for a walk. I can do some walking upstairs here without any support, but will use the walker for some exercise today - likely a lap on my driveway. Gus is back to being happy he's allowed in my bedroom. It is hard for him to get in my bed without the throw rug traction for his feet, so he's got some arthritis going on also.

Laura, I can't believe thick hair can be a problem - does your hairdresser thin it?

Dede, thanks for the well wishes. All is well right now - the injected painkillers will be wearing off today, so I'll likely be starting heavier drugs beyond Tylenol. My friends have been great! The husband goes for walks with Gus and his wife helps me around doing the exercises, drugs, and post-op equipment, plus she's a great cook! We had some rain last night also - supposedly a cold front, but the temps will still be in the high 80s this week. Not fun when i have to wear sweat pants and knee-high socks! At least the ones they gave me are thin compared to the woolen ones I had after knee surgery.

Paula, I was just about getting ready for sleep in my bed when you wrote your note. My friend wanted to sleep on my living room couch to be nearby, but i sent her downstairs and all was well last night. I wasn't following the Democratic Convention much - I already know who i'll be voting for and am done listening to politics. My friends enjoy it, but have a TV attached to their computer that brings it in for them downstairs.

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart!)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-20, 03:25 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Today was Qi Gong 30-day Challenge, day 13.

Anita, I'm glad all went well and you are safely home. I hope the pain meds keep you comfortable.

We've had a little more rain today. I guess it keeps it a bit cooler anyway. It's going to get hot this week when the rain moves out.

I'm having a blah day. Nothing to do. Not that I necessarily want anything to do, but I feel rather useless at the moment. Life is just weird.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Old 08-22-20, 06:02 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I went for a walk this morning and then did a YouTube video with Kathy Smith and (OH! What's her NAME! The Walk Across America instructor. I HATE SENIOR MOMENTS!! ). Anyway, it was a good workout, especially for the lower body.

Other than that, it has been a pretty laid-back day. I made some cards and we "went to church" this afternoon. I heard from both college friends I'm still close to this week, one by phone and the other by letter.

Anita - Welcome home! It sounds like it's going well. Good job with doing what you should. I'm sure it thrills Gus to sleep with you again, even if he's confused by who's taking him on walks. As far as the thick hair goes, I was referring to the 4 months between haircuts during the shutdown, the longest I've ever gone between haircuts. (Usually, I get my hair cut ever 5 weeks.), It drove me CRAZY then. Other than that, it's not a problem at all and is a blessing instead.

Dede - Yeah, the news is depressing these days. I watch baby videos some. I think we still relax more on the weekends even though we don't go anywhere much throughout the week. When you've been conditioned for 50+ years to look forward to the weekend, it's hard to break that habit.

Paula - I keep wondering if the fires are affecting you. I know they are not in your area (right?), but they keep reporting here that the air quality in California is the worst in the world right now and I wonder if that has affected you.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-20, 09:30 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Travis Eliot's Yin Yoga. Generally a lazy day. Another too hot to do much day - mid to high 90's.

Anita, I am so glad the surgery went well! Also glad you're doing OK with the walker and some pain meds. It's good to have friends that are willing to help and I'm sure Gus is anxious to help raise your spirits.

DeeDee, I hear you on not having or wanting anything to do. I finally got my plants watered after the sun set. It was too hot today to do yard work earlier. Other than that, hung out in the house with the AC on.

Laura, the worst of the California fires are in Northern CA many miles away from us. But there are some smaller fires not that away and we can see smoke in the air. I'm sure the awful air quality they are talking about is in the north. The Gov said yesterday the northern fires have now burned an area the size of Rhode Island. Many people have had to leave their homes. A friend of mine's brother and his wife have had to evacuate, then were told they could return, and are now on evacuation alert again. When it's hot and dry like this and the wind blows, there's just no stopping these fires once they get going.