Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-13-20, 08:11 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Only workout this morning was a 15 minute 1 mile walk with Leslie. We had to leave early as DH had a medical appointment and I needed to drive him. All was well (thank goodness) at least for now. He'll probably need another procedure in the near future.

Anita, Gus wanting to be with you - ah.... he does love you. If there was someone in my home making wonderful dinners every evening I'd surely gain weight. We have kept our weight pretty consistent although we've both gained about 2 lbs since the March lockdown. I think 2 lbs is manageable. I've read the average person has gained 8 - 12 pounds. The website asking people to enter their current measurements to see how clothes would look before purchasing is good step. I rarely buy clothes online because I usually end up returning them. At 5'4" I'm on the cusp between being petite and regular. I was forever getting pants that are too short or too long, now I just don't buy pants online unless I can see the inseam measurement, even then half the time the stated inseam is incorrect.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-20, 09:43 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Paula, I'm glad your DH's medical appointment went well. Yes, the derm told me to cover it, but she suggested a glove. Since I don't have anything that works, I'm still using gauze. If you've only gained two pounds during the pandemic, you're doing well. I don't weigh, but I know I gained more than that before I got my eating under control. I was definitely stress-eating a lot of chocolate.

Anita, do you have a reason to think the derm was wrong about my diagnosis? I actually don't use much hand sanitizer at all, nor do I wash my hands that much. If I did, I could understand. And even the derm thought it odd that it only affected one hand. She was also surprised when I said I'd never dealt with this before. I guess it's an ongoing issue for many. I hope that's not true for me. Last night's dinner sounds good. I can't wait to hear what you had tonight.

I worked out late. DH is on week one of a two-week vacation and had "projects" for us to do. Enough said. (And I really miss the roll-eye emoji.)

I did a knee-friendly lower body workout with Jessica Smith on YouTube and a walk with Keoni Tamaya on YouTube (he is so much fun!). I also did day four of Qi Gong 30-day challenge, and Tai Chi Fit over 60 joint health.

Sleep well, everyone.
Old 08-14-20, 07:00 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on working at the WRC - last time for a while! I'm off my vitamins and supplements and pain meds, so sure I'll be feeling my hip today. Gus will be going out for a walk while I'm at WRC - nice my friend can get that in before it gets very hot outside. Otherwise putzing about...

Paula, hard to say if these lovely meals are big weight gainers or not - lots more veggies and beans as protein, lots less meats and fats as components. All I know is delicious! We're about the same height - I used to be 5'5" and now am 5' 3.5" - sigh...

Dede, sorry, I didn't intend any interpretation of your derm's conclusions. I've just seen too many hand sanitizers made with bad ingredients (methanol) and by people new to that business (switch from drinking alcohol to making hand sanitizer). I'm seeing lots of people making sanitizer from recipes online. Last night's dinner was salmon on the grill, corn on the cob on the grill, and some sort of red grain. Watermelon for dessert.

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart!)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-20, 01:44 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I'm not sure what happened yesterday that I didn't stop by. I guess I got caught up in posting a video and didn't do much else on my computer.

Today, I got up early-ish for me and got moving because I had an in-person training session at 10:00 at a local business. DH and I went for a walk and then I did a short strength YouTube workout. The training session was at a local business that has 4 people in the office and that takes precautions. It went well and I'll go back next Tuesday. It did seem really strange to be going into an office! It's about 5.5 miles away and the entire way back are places I normally run errands, so it took me an hour to get back home with the places I stopped on the way.

Dede - I never responded to your question. Sometimes, I try to have my mask complement my outfit. This morning, the blue mask was the same shade as a blue in my shirt (which is a tropical print). Most of the masks I have are patterns that don't match my clothes, so it's often not possible, but sometimes it is. I hope your hand is improving rapidly.

Paula - I've heard a lot about the "COVID-15", along the lines of "the freshman 15", enough that I did a video on Excel templates that can help you lose the COVID-15. I gained 5 pounds since I hit the 20-pound weight loss mark, but I'm still down 15, so I'm not sure whether to count that has a gain or a loss. 2 pounds is definitely manageable!

Anita - You're officially in the final countdown to the surgery! It's a job to track everything you need to do and not do in the last week. Of course Gus would want to go with you. You're his chief buddy!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-20, 04:14 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Anita, you will get spoiled by those yummy dinners. I hope your hip didn't hurt too much today. The hand sanitizers DH and DS are using at work were made at a distillery. I guess it's a cheap way for them to get lots of it, and they need lots of it. I use Bath and Body, and they claim theirs is safe. But I still prefer to wash my hands instead.

Laura, Excel can help you lose weight? There isn't much that helps me. I keep getting stuck at the same weight. A plateau that lasts for months until I give up. It's good that the training session went well. My hand is doing a bit better.

Today I did KCM's Super Sculpt: workout one, Qi Gong 30-day challenge: day 5, and Tai Chi Fit To Go: workout one. I think I'll like this one. There are three 20-minute workouts, and they flow better than his other ones. The ones I got for seniors spend more time breaking things down. It's been years since I did tai chi, but I used to do it a lot so I have experience. That made the flow doable for me. He does cue, but he doesn't spend time breaking it down and teaching it. So I liked that better.

Have a great evening!
Old 08-14-20, 09:05 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was my PT stretches, Pahla B's Chair Cardio and Strength, and a short neighborhood walk with DH. I'll try to get in some yoga before bed.

DH was feeling a little better today so we went to the boat and hung out for a couple hours. He seems to be getting a better each day.

Has anyone ever used one of those scales that give you multiple points of information - weight, BMI, body fat, etc? There's one I am interested in buying but I don't know how useful it would actually be. Up to this point, I've only used the old fashioned type - not even digital read out, just step on and read the big dial.

DeeDee, I don't know how you feel about Dr Dray, but she did a video in February - 11 tips for Eczema on the Face, you might find some tips that are helpful for your hand. Can you get a pair of white cotton gloves on Amazon? Don't they sell white cotton gloves at the pharmacy where your DH works? Don't you just love family projects (roll eyes).

Anita, enjoy your last day at the WRC for a while. Glad your friend is enjoying walking Gus and he has accepted her. Veggies and beans are the basis of most of my meals, the more you eat that way, the less you crave meat.
Old 08-14-20, 09:07 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Laura, fun to have the normalacy of the in-office training and doing some shopping. I saw your Excel spreadsheet on how to lose the COVID 15. I am embarrassed to admit I didn't understand how to use it.
Old 08-15-20, 08:13 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on putzing around - I'll need to hit the pharmacy one more time as a drug got forgotten by the staff and I need to pick it up today. Otherwise just enjoying this nice cool day! (Storms last night). I think Gus will get his walk with my friends. I'm glad Gus does well with others as long as I don't come to his mind. I had a heavy period start last night - surprise! At least a week before surgery, I'm hoping to be done by then.

Laura, yeah, I think I do have some drugs that begin this week (pre-surgical nasal disinfectant) - starts tomorrow. I had a few errand stops yesterday after WRC, so got home an hour later - still walked in on a great lunch . I can handle this!

Dede, the hip is definitely feeling the lack of pain meds . Fridays are the hardest on my hip anyways as the WRC wears it down. Hope today gets a bit better. I might try doing some Tai Chi with my friend here - he was doing it Thursday waiting for the grill to cook salmon .

Paula, Frankly, I'm not using any scale lately - I do have a very old fashioned scale in a closet. I'm just amazed at her ability to stretch meats out - my rotisserie chicken is still about half here - for me, it's four meals, for my friend, she's used it for about four meals so far, feeding three at a time... Lots more beans though - my bowels are musical .

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart!)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-20, 05:33 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It was a hard day. I slept until almost 8:30, over nine hours. When I woke up, my lower back hurt, like I twisted wrong last night, I was stiff, and I had a really hard time feeling like I was awake. My stiffness and lower back issue eased over time and I finally felt like I was with it. DH and I went on a short walk and later, after I was less stiff, I did parts of a couple of cardio workouts on YouTube. I cooked both for both meals, but other than that, I didn't do too much today. We did "go to church" this afternoon.

Anita - The meals sound great. Your friend has a talent. Hang in there with the pain in the coming week.

Dede - Yeah well. It was actually about using Excel templates when trying to lose weight, but the headline was meant to be attention grabbing. And it worked since it's one of my most-watched videos. I have those new KCM videos and haven't gotten to them yet. I need to make that a priority!

Paula - I made that video for people who already knew how to use Excel. I'll have to keep that in mind in future videos. I've never wanted to know all those other numbers when I am losing weight, so I've never had one. I always figured they were bad....

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-20, 08:57 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

All I did today was day six of the Qi Gong 30-day challenge, but then I don't usually do anything on the weekend.

Anita, I'm sorry you are already feeling the lack of meds. It's good that you have someone there to walk Gus for you.

Paula, I did order some white gloves from Amazon, but they won't be here until Wednesday. Well, maybe. I placed an order last Saturday for three items that were supposed to be here yesterday. Two of them shipped today. So the gloves may get here by Wednesday or not. DH works in the hospital's pharmacy, so he doesn't sell anything. They fill orders that doctors call in for their inpatients. He also makes up IV's and orders meds. They don't deal with the public at all. People are often confused by what he does. They only know pharmacies where you fill scripts and buy things. I didn't think much about how patients got meds either until I started dating him. And I had been a patient many times before that.

Laura, I'm sorry your back hurt when you got up this morning, but I think nine hours of sleep sounds heavenly. I'll be interested to see what you think of the KCM's. There are a lot of squats and lunges. I'm having to get creative to modify.

I had planned to go out early this morning (I needed bandages for my dressings - the package I got didn't last very long), but it was raining when I got up. We had heavy rain for a while, and then a rumble of thunder or two. So I got out later than I wanted. It was a typical Saturday. Everybody was out. And, I had to go to several places because (as usual) I couldn't find what I needed. I'm just glad the rain cooled things down some. It was only 80 degrees and I was still sweating on my mask.

Everyone enjoy the rest of the weekend.