Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-22, 09:10 PM  
bfit

Pop Pilates, Muffin Top Melter = injury?

I've always loved the Muffin Top Melter section of the Pop Pilates Abs DVD, but the last time I did it I strained an oblique muscle, and it's lasted for a week so that I can't even do any ab exercises at all now. I'm wondering if the exercises in that section are very safe after all. There are a lot of side planks in which you lift your hip up and down off of the floor in various ways. I think I must have had something out of alignment when I did those exercises last time because my entire left waist, hip, and upper thigh are all out of whack. What does anyone else think about side planks?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-22, 10:25 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

In general, Cassey tends to move too quickly for me. Side planks are not my friend only because I'm just not very good at them, so I always modify or choose another exercise. I might do a regular plank instead, or bend the underneath leg and go down to my elbow if I'm on my side. If you want to work your obliques you can do pilates type crunches alternating sides, while leaving one elbow on the ground. I have to take things slow, but that's me not feeling comfortable doing an exercise I can't do well, until I have the strength and built up to that level of exercise.

I'm sorry you hurt yourself and I would take a break from ab work until you're feeling better. There's no shame in just skipping an exercise in a workout, especially when you need to heal from an injury, etc.

I can't speak to the safety of side planks, but regular planks work all the right muscles. Maybe another alternative is to hold a regular plank and then dip your hips from right to left, alternating each side.

My muffin top is all about my food intake and what I've been eating, unfortunately. And, it's more difficult to tackle the older I get.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-22, 11:35 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I do a lot of Pilates, but I don't do side planks. I just find them uncomfortable. I can't imagine doing all those variations. In traditional Pilates the Mermaid move is a precursor to side planks. Since I love the move, I do it instead. Give yourself time to heal and take the advice here to find another way to work the area.
Old 09-22-22, 09:29 AM  
donnamp

I think side planks like everything else are probably ok for most people in moderation - with moderation being very individual - my moderate is different from your moderate.

From what I have seen about Cassey's workouts, though, moderation does not seem to be in her vocabulary - things like 1,000 squats, or 10,000 crunches are not moderation and are a ticket to injury for most people.

If I were to do a workout like Cassey's I would go at my own pace and and just do fewer reps.

I would take a break from doing anything that causes pain in the area that you injured until you are feeling better.

I hope you feel better soon!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-22, 11:04 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I wanted to add that I think lifting your hips off the floor in various ways can be hard on the spine, not just the muscles, be careful. Hope you heal up soon.
Old 09-23-22, 03:46 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

To refresh my memory of Cassey's Flat Abs Fast workout, today I did both the Muffintop Melter as well as the Lower Belly Blast. If I had to rate this, I would say it's definitely more of an intermediate to high intermediate level workout. She does a high number of reps, without stretching out the muscles or counterbalancing with back exercises. I did not go full out with either of the workouts, and anyone doing so would have to have the experience behind them. It's a DVD that most can work up to, if they do less reps and modify most of the moves, to start. She is a very likeable, friendly instructor and has a fun, bubbly personality. For me, I'm not ready to go here as I've been away from pilates for a while. I think the danger with pilates is that many folks try to advance too fast and too quickly. They get bored with the basic level of instruction (or matwork) and want to do more. This could be a great workout for the person who's ready for it as it provides more challenging exercises with some variety.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-22, 04:07 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I do what Tracie Long refers to as "a conservative side plank" -- just knees down and my arm on a rolled up mat to give some cushion to my wrist and take some weight off my shoulders (since I sometimes have twingy wrists and shoulders!). The other arm is near my side like a kickstand, so I feel much more supported.

Then I just lift my middle up and down instead of putting too much weight on either my hips or my shoulders. Sometimes if I'm feeling great I'll extend my top leg out but that tends to hurt my shoulders.

I think I've done these for a few years now whenever a side plank is involved.

Also, I strained my oblique muscle about a year ago and my gosh it still sometimes acts up! I was attempting to do a ball roll in with my hips up and boom my oblique was overly strained. It took a few weeks to calm down even with icing it every day. I still don't do that move!

I have to chuckle at the "Muffintop Melter" moniker -- as if! If only that actually worked for the menopot...
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cassey ho, muffin top melter, pop pilates, side planks