Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-22, 06:37 AM  
Negin

Aging Gracefully

If such a thing is possible, I’m sure it is, but it’s not always easy. Nothing good is easy.

In the end, what matters most to me is love for God and love for each other.
Aging gracefully is nice and all.
Health should come right after God and love.

This article has been on my mind since I saw it a few hours ago. Kelly McGillis (Top Gun) surprised the most, but I really liked what she said.

I have more to say on this, but I have a busy day ahead of me. I’d love to hear everyone else’s thoughts, as well as what you may be doing to help with the aging process.

Sleep, good diet, sleep, sunblock, and wearing a hat.
Thinking good and happy thoughts!
Old 01-29-22, 08:21 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

I'm 63 and while there are some days I look in the mirror and wish there wasn't so much sagging going on (for some reason I don't have many wrinkles), I mostly mourn the loss of stamina.

Not having the energy to do things I want makes me sad. I have to pace myself more and make a plan from day to day on what I want to accomplish. If it's summer and I know I'll be doing yard work there won't be any house cleaning or formal workout. I also have issues with my feet so planning vacations has changed. I can't do hours of walking any more.

Aging gracefully is an individual thing obviously. I've worked out since my 20's so that has helped me stay strong and somewhat slim. I also drink tons of water and mostly eat a healthy diet but I can also slam down several of those miniature Reese cups in one sitting. It's the little things, ya know...

With regards to looks I think aging is more difficult for those who were especially attractive when they were young. I am average looking but my younger sister was/is absolutely gorgeous. She is now 58 and struggles big time with aging. She's still beautiful but constantly talking about how her looks have changed and she's very unhappy about it. I can go there for a bit but at some point we all have to face reality and get on with what life we have left.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-22, 09:43 AM  
Gams

I think it’s hard to age when you’ve been particularly good looking because you feel like you go from getting a lot of attention to being almost invisible.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-22, 10:17 AM  
Mickey12

I recall my older sisters saying how when they got older they became invisible. Now that I’m getting older (not sure what that magic age is, but I will be 57 next month), I find it very freeing to feel invisible. I no longer worry as much about what people think of my actions or my looks. I just go about my day.

I think aging gracefully has to do with acceptance. My main goal is to be happy. Now, I will concede that feeling well is a big part of that. It’s much harder when someone has health conditions that are painful or limiting. I think trying to feel grateful is also part of it.
Old 01-29-22, 10:37 AM  
donnamp

Well, no one gets out of this alive, so aging is inevitable. I think a lot has to do with making peace with yourself and where you are and being thankful, grateful for the things that you do have.

As I have gotten older I have moved away from "cosmetic" results - like workouts are not to produce a cosmetic result - flat abs, thin thighs, etc. They are more about helping me get and stay strong and flexible. I think mobility and flexibility and balance become more important as we age.

I think society puts more pressure on women to remain youthful and beautiful - and I do agree with what others have said - there is a certain "invisibility" that you face as a middle-aged or older woman. And, it is probably harder to deal with if you were turning a lot of heads in your younger days to face the invisibility now.

I do hope that is something that changes for the next generations of women. We should not be valued only for our looks and we should not value ourselves only for our looks.

I think aging gracefully comes from attitude - being a positive person, having a sense of humor, being kind - and also moving well - so keeping that mobility, flexibility and balance. I think "attitude" can keep us "younger" - not giving up but modifying and adjusting, etc.

The one thing I hate about getting older right now is that I have nagging aches and pains and as a result I don't want to work out the way I used to b/c I don't want to face the consequences.

But, there are positive things about aging too - I'm much more comfortable with myself and generally more content - I am better at not sweating the small stuff. I have an 18 year old DD, and I wouldn't trade places with her - there is a lot more angst at that age than I care to have now.

Just my rambling thoughts.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-22, 10:57 AM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Well, no one gets out of this alive, so aging is inevitable. I think a lot has to do with making peace with yourself and where you are and being thankful, grateful for the things that you do have.

As I have gotten older I have moved away from "cosmetic" results - like workouts are not to produce a cosmetic result - flat abs, thin thighs, etc. They are more about helping me get and stay strong and flexible. I think mobility and flexibility and balance become more important as we age.

I think society puts more pressure on women to remain youthful and beautiful - and I do agree with what others have said - there is a certain "invisibility" that you face as a middle-aged or older woman. And, it is probably harder to deal with if you were turning a lot of heads in your younger days to face the invisibility now.

I do hope that is something that changes for the next generations of women. We should not be valued only for our looks and we should not value ourselves only for our looks.

I think aging gracefully comes from attitude - being a positive person, having a sense of humor, being kind - and also moving well - so keeping that mobility, flexibility and balance. I think "attitude" can keep us "younger" - not giving up but modifying and adjusting, etc.

The one thing I hate about getting older right now is that I have nagging aches and pains and as a result I don't want to work out the way I used to b/c I don't want to face the consequences.

But, there are positive things about aging too - I'm much more comfortable with myself and generally more content - I am better at not sweating the small stuff. I have an 18 year old DD, and I wouldn't trade places with her - there is a lot more angst at that age than I care to have now.

Just my rambling thoughts.

Donna
So much of what is said here is true. For me, it's mostly trying to keep up with my own expectations and no one else. I am 66 and I notice every year, there is a little less stamina especially doing yard work or shoveling snow. But, I try to push through this and not fall into negative thinking that I am retiring to a recliner for the rest of my life. Keeping active is important to me. I have never been a slave to the flat stomach, thin thighs thinking and always stayed away from workouts that pushed this mindset. My body is my body. Most of my good and areas of contention are genetic. We are all different and the pressure to certain set standards is just not realistic. For me it's staying active, eating well, staying involved in life, and finding ways to keep myself mentally happy and stable. Mostly, it's having a reason to get up everyday.

Coming across articles about stars that say "look at her then and look at her now..." (and it's usually a "her" rarely a "him"). Or when people are critical to the natural aging process. We will all age and no one is immune to this. Yesterday it was Bridget Fonda who went off the grid for many years. There were articles and pictures of her now and all implicating how she hasn't aged well. She made a decision to raise her family and no longer work. If she is happy that is all that matters.
Old 01-29-22, 01:11 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Well, no one gets out of this alive, so aging is inevitable.
It is!

I'm going to be "double nickels" this summer. For some reason, this is profound to me. My kids are getting older...so of course I am too. I do feel comfortable in my skin and I'm glad that I can do what I can do.

I had a fall on a local ski hill before Christmas that really made me think about what kinds of activities I want to participate in. Not sure the risk vs benefit or pain vs pleasure is worth it with skiing! I really learned some patience, too. I am still recovering.

Funny, but I am no longer about getting my summer "bikini body". I want my body ready and functional for the rest of my life.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-22, 01:45 PM  
warriorprincess

Chronic pain is my biggest fear. I think I can deal with everything else.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-22, 01:53 PM  
donnamp

Jackie - I hope the injury from the fall wasn't too severe.

Izzy - so true, those articles always do tend to call out women who have aged - well, we all age!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-22, 02:34 PM  
Gams

I hate it when celebrities who have obviously had work done are asked about their youthful appearance and they attribute their appearance to a good moisturizer, a good night’s sleep or drinking plenty of water. Those things are good for you, but they don’t make a 60-year old look 20. And I’m not saying that they owe anyone an explanation of what they’ve had done, but instead if the lies, I wish they would just say, “None if your business” or “I don’t talk about my looks” or whatever.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aesthetics, aging, beauty, body image, celebrities