Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-03-21, 03:47 PM  
Daphne M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonH View Post
I meant to post the other day about the Elton John cool down ride, but forgot to. I was going to tell everyone who has Peloton access that they have to do it. So Daphne, you read my mind. I don’t know how he does it, but Bradley made me feel like he was about to jump out of that little screen and give me a hug. I too wish someone else (Bradley) would do a full-length Elton John ride..
It makes me so happy that you had the same reaction! I agree, we all have to do this one. It was the cutest when Norm came over to my side of the basement to sing the chorus with me. I was ear to ear The power of music is real.

My running has fallen from 25ish miles per week to more like 10-15 miles per week. My frequency hasn't changed but my distances have. I've been wanting to get better at strength training, cycling and rowing and haven't had as much time to devote to running, so most of my runs are between 2 and 3 miles. It just hit me that I'm missing out on all the great fall scenic runs by doing that though, so I'm going to reach out to see if one of my old running companions feels like a fun slow run together on the weekend. I miss seeing them anyway. People are retiring, getting second homes, etc, so it's harder to make plans and I've gotten in a rut of running in my neighborhood. (Fortunately my neighborhood has beautiful trails, ponds and lots of critters.)

Besides Bradley's Famous Elton John Cooldown Ride, I have two more workouts to praise, both of them Hydrow rows I did this morning:
  • "Express 10 minute HIIT" (a Drive) with Mac dated 10/30/21. She's rowing on the Anacostia River here in DC, which runs into the Potomac. I was trying to pick out landmarks like Nats Park and Audi Field. The 10 minute HIITs fly by and Mac has a quiet personality that is appealing. I also covet Mac's workout tops. She finds amazing colors and styles that pop right off the screen in contrast to the blue/grays of the water and the sky.
  • "Two Strokes Cooldown" with Nick dated 11/3/21. This is one of the rows while they were in Lake Lucerne, Switzerland and it has the best scenery of any that I've seen. Also the drill he did was very enjoyable and really helped me to connect and push off better. (2 strokes full pressure; 2 strokes light pressure, maintain stroke rate.). A+
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-21, 05:03 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

I decided to go to the gym and try a Peloton treadmill run. Daphne, I did my first run with Daniel. It was so much fun! Time went by so fast, mostly because I was concentrating so hard trying to understand what he was saying. I did get that he said “banger” about 100 times! I think I found the key to get through any TM marathon training I’ll have to do.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-21, 03:41 PM  
Daphne M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonH
Daphne, I did my first run with Daniel. It was so much fun! Time went by so fast, mostly because I was concentrating so hard trying to understand what he was saying. I did get that he said “banger” about 100 times!
Oh boy, now there's another one I have to add to my list. Daniel has quickly become one of my favorites. I've done a bunch of his strength workouts and have bookmarked the tread runs and bootcamps. I'm waiting for a bad weather day but I don't know how much longer I can wait!

I did Bradley's 20 minute Ed Sheeran Low Impact Ride this morning. I think it was the easiest, most relaxed Peloton ride I have ever done. If you need a workout that doesn't feel like you're working out, this is one I recommend. (Cleda highly recommended it to me and I do believe she has surpassed me as Bradley's number one fan.)

My workout to-do list is really long this week. So many workouts, so few fast-twitch muscles.

1. I need to do two Peloton scenic rides by Nov. 12. (There's a badge.)
2. I need to do Nick & Laine's 20 minute "New Normal" row. The Hydrow community is raving about how funny this one is. (I believe there is "ball" humor, which brings back many fond younger-days-in-VF-history memories) , Plus Nick & Laine finally outed themselves as a real-life couple, PLUS it's on Lake Lucerne.
3. I need to go run somewhere pretty this weekend and soak in the beautiful fall colors and lighting.
4. I need to run with Daniel, faith and begorrah, I need the bangers!

Onward and upward, movement is medicine, progress is perfection, we can do hard things. (But not all of them at once.)
Breast Cancer Survivor
Old 11-05-21, 11:42 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

This morning I did Bradley’s Ed Sheeran low-impact ride as a warmup for Earth Body Yoga. They flowed together so well. Then lunch I did Diwali Pilates with Aditi and my first-ever non-abs Peloton strength workout—lower body with, of course, Daniel. WOW! My glutes are screaming already. I have not been doing much lower-body strength, and it shows. But he made it so fun. He and Bradley have rocketed to the top of my instructor list as well. I still love Denis, Sam, and Ben too. Tomorrow’s long ride is going to be an 80s rock extravaganza, with the latest from Bradley, Sam, Ben, and Leanne.

For the record, I also have a huge crush on one of the English Premier League soccer announcers (and several coaches and players, but I don’t hear them talk as much), so there’s a trend here. I’ll be watching them as I do tomorrow morning’s ride.

Happy Friday!
Old 11-05-21, 10:28 PM  
Vantreesta

Daphne, for Rovember, Dark Horse Rowing emails you a new workout each day for the month. This year Shane is doing the Monday workouts on the YouTube channel so you can follow along but the rest you just do on your own.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-21, 09:20 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Popping in with Tidbits

Bradley Rose: I adore him! FUN FACT: He was in a Christmas Hallmark Movie ~ One Royal Holiday. The usual Hallmark type movie. It was cute (I love Hallmark Christmas movies oh and I love Bradley - so it's a winning combo!!!) I am sure they will show it 9 million more times before 12/25.

Daniel: had some eye surgery (I think it was eye) so he was off the schedule for awhile, but he should be back soon if not already

I am getting the list of workouts for Rowvember, but am NOT good at doing them on my own - so I may tune in to the Monday workout and figure out what # is my meters number on my computer screen. So thank you for the tip about You tube. (Monday workouts - maybe I can then figure out for the rest of the week.)

I find it interesting when Daphne & I compare workouts. I think a lot has to do with the fact that I wear earbuds and use the water rower with my Ipad. Things I notice, she does not. Things that irritate me, she doesn't hear. Sooooo That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I am very happy with current set up though and have no desire (for this moment) to get a hydrow. I like the fact that I am not dependent on electricity for the workouts, nor a monthly subscription. Ok, ok, I do have a monthly subscription to the app on the Hydrow. And I'm sure if I got a Hydrow, I would NOT regret it, but for now??? NO FOMO for me ....

Ok, I have an arrow now for this check in ... cuz I do read!

Carry on.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-21, 02:32 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Vantreesta: I follow Dark Horse Rowing, but I haven’t been good about paying attention lately. I’ll check out what he posts this Monday.

Cleda: Yep, One Royal Holiday is saved on my Fubo list for whenever I have time to watch it. I believe he also was in one of those multi-letter crime shows. I saw about Daniel’s surgery. Glad to see he’s recovering well and am looking forward to more workouts with him.

Daphne: I hope you get a good fall run this weekend!

Pratima: I hope things are going ok!

Today I did my 80s rock 4-pack stack ride. I love 80s hair bands, so the time went by so so fast. I ended with Bradley’s ride since I figured I might need some motivation to keep going at that point. Fun fact: I posted about the ride on Instagram and tagged the 4 instructors, and Bradley commented with 2 hearts

I’ve done nothing but watch soccer and college football since I got off the bike. I should accomplish something else today before I have to leave the house to—you guessed it—go to a soccer game.
Old 11-07-21, 09:45 AM  
Vantreesta

I haven't worked out since Wednesday. Taking down and putting away Halloween decorations is taking forever! The village pieces are very fragile so I have to be really careful and it takes some time for some of them to make sure they're back in the styrofoam correctly. I aim to be finished by bedtime tonight!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 11-09-21, 04:13 PM  
Daphne M

Alison - Tell me more about your crush on the Premier League announcer. If your crush is based on voice alone, you crack me up. Aside from my Peloton/Hydrow crushes, I confess to a crush on a dude on TikTok who chops a lot of firewood for his followers. In my defense, he is very fit: D (*Is* that a defense?)

Vannie - Daily Rowvember emails make sense. It's nice to not have to think, and just follow along with Dark Horse schedule on rowing days. Hydrow has all kinds of different training camps and organized programs and occasionally I even do one of them. I can't imagine how many Halloween decorations you're talking about. Maybe you're getting functional fitness benefits from all that setting up and tearing down!

Pratima - I hope things have settled down a little in your world. I was thinking of you all weekend, because Norm is recovering from surgery on Friday to fix an abdominal hernia. His first 48 hours were rough, but he was doing fine on Monday, off all meds and moving around well.

Cleda - I love comparing notes with you on our Hydrow rows (and Peloton rides). We like a lot of the same Peloton instructors and workouts, but my Hydrow experience is very visual, while you notice the audio more. (On Peloton, weirdly, I am the opposite: I notice the audio more and the only visuals I notice are Denis's arms and the targeted cadence/resistance display.)

Me - Thoughts about my Friday-Monday workouts.

Running -
  • Friday - 30 minute tread bootcamp with Daniel that was great. So glad they added him. (I didn't know about his surgery. Fingers crossed for great healing.)
  • Saturday - a 3-mile run in my neighborhood that was fantastic. Bright colors, fall breezes, perfection.
  • Sunday - a different 3 mile neighborhood loop but this time I walked most of it with just a little bit of running.
  • Monday - Does a 2 mile walk count?
  • Other - I ended up scheduling my scenic fall lake/river/park run for next weekend instead of this one, so that I could meet up with a friend for it.

Cycling --
  • Friday - A 15-minute scenic ride in Iceland. Hated it. Motion sickness issues. I have one more scenic to do to get my badge and now I know to turn on the big flat screen and watch something on it while the scenic ride unfolds on my bike screen.
  • Saturday A 30-minute Denis Spotify ride that was great even though the music channel (Indigo) wasn't my cup of tea.
  • Sunday - A 30-minute Sam Yo 80s Rock ride inspired by Alison. (Lemming alert!) and a 10-minute Low Impact ride with Emma.
  • Monday - No bike day.
  • Other - Brad stayed over for a couple of days. He brought his Peloton bike shoes and used my bike on Saturday. OMG he adjusted the seat to almost my shoulder height (I'm 5'5" and he's at least 6'3"). I glanced at his workout details afterward and wow. (Mom brag: he came over to help with Norm recovery and to take me to an early birthday lunch. )
Rowing - The pursuit of 1 million meters is going strong. I'm at 920K.
  • Friday - 30 minutes rowing: The giggly row with Nick and Laine that bugged Cleda but I loved + a great cooldown with James.
  • Saturday - 26 minutes of rowing: 5 minute warmup with Mike + 15 minute weekly conditioning with Mac + 1 minute challenge with Mike + 5 minute cooldown with Aquil and Mike. The 1 minute challenges are really fun, try one.
  • Sunday - Boat butt kicking in, so just 20 minutes of rowing: a 10 minute Breathe with Sera Moon and a 10 minute cooldown with Mike + Sera Moon.
  • Monday - 20 minutes of rowing: 5 minute Laine warm-up + 10 minutes Mike "Rock Cardio Row" (a favorite) + 5 minutes Mike and Michelle cooldown.
  • Other - Michelle is being slowly worked back into the roster. She has been very brave in sharing that she is having issues controlling her bipolar disorder and it is simultaneously both heart-wrenching and uplifting to watch her managing the challenge. The folks at Hydrow seem to be doing a super solid job of supporting her.

Strength - 2 strength circuits on Friday and 2 core workouts over the weekend. It's better than nothing.

IN FACT, IT IS PLENTY. Life is good.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Old 11-09-21, 04:44 PM  
Vantreesta

Daphne, am I reading that right that you are doing run AND ride AND row nearly every day?? Wow, girl! I can't even string together two days in a row of just working out! Impressive!!

I'm trying not to whine but I'm going to anyway, I wish I had a fancy C2 rower. Mine is fine, I have no right to complain, it just takes some of the fun out of doing Rowvember when mine doesn't tell me SPM and it gives me miles instead of meters. I have the conversion posted in front of the rower but it's just more brain work than I really want while rowing. That's what dance and step workouts are for! I'm glad Shane did yesterday's on YT bc you change SPM every minute or two and the app I use for cadence I'm not sure if I can program workouts in or not.

I don't know if I will get in any workouts this week or not. I really hope to but I have a ton of stuff I need to get done and everything seems to take longer than I estimate!