Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-17, 01:56 PM  
primrosecat

Go to your library and get some books, or google The Dog Whisperer, read his books. I met him in person back in the day, it really might help.
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 04:35 PM  
ardnas

One of my 5lb Min Pins is like this. We've tried positive training, took him to Obedience (and he passed - but always tried to bite the trainers and the largest dog there - a St Bernard!), tried several trainers, nothing works. They said certain breeds, usually the smaller ones, tend to do this, become very protective. We've tried having different people come over often and give him treats and not make eye contact. He will sit and take the treats nicely -and then bite them. He does this to the vet too. It took 4 full months (on a short leash) of my mom coming over almost daily to finally get used to her. I think it isn't worth the stress on the dog to force them to be social if they do not want to. We've learned to protect ourselves from lawsuits and from him being put down if labeled a vicious dog by the city, we keep him in another room when company comes over and he wears a muzzle when he goes to the vet or outside our fenced in yard.

ETA: we also tried the pheromone collars & sprays - they didn't work for this issue.
Old 04-06-17, 08:24 PM  
LizEMA

I had a very territorial and protective (but very controlled) dog (he would give little nips and "mouth" people but never full-on bite, despite having the teeth to do so ), and what my partner and I did when we first started dating was meet on "neutral" ground (ie: outside of the house, off the property), taking the furbaby for walks together (he just LOVED walks and was almost always too distracted by all the smells to be bothered with barking at or warning anyone away), and, yes, TREATS. It took awhile for him to acclimate to my partner, but it was absolutely worth it; he really came to view him as part of the "pack". (I have to throw a word of caution in about the treats and just say to be careful with them as sometimes they can reinforce the negative behavior and have the dogs thinking they are being REWARDED for what they are doing.)

So, for your most frequent visitors, see if they would be willing to put in the little bit of time and effort to do that (meeting off-property if it is only in the house the dogs are aggressive, finding something they really like to do and having your visitors participate in it, treats from visitors when the dogs refrain from biting/being aggressive).
Old 04-06-17, 10:20 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

I've never tried this but saw a trainer do it on television to address a similar circumstance.

The trainer said the dogs went into protection mode when new people came into the house so the thing to do was introduce the dogs to the people outside the house. She took the dogs, on leash, out to the front yard let them meet any new people there and just talk for a few minutes then everyone go into the house together. It seemed to work. Worth a try anyway.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-17, 07:56 AM  
marki64

I have the opposite problem. I have a Lab and she wants everyone to love her and pet her. Walks are a lot of work sometimes, as she wants to greet everyone, especially dogs, who aren't always friendly. Don't you wish Ceasar, The Dog Whisperer,could magically appear. I would love to have him walk with me. I have to say my 70lb Lab tests my strength, and sad to say, I am not as strong as I would like to think I am. She wins most of the time.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-17, 09:14 AM  
ardnas

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
Don't you wish Ceasar, The Dog Whisperer,could magically appear.
Please research him before considering or promoting his practices. His self taught methods are based on old school thinking that dogs are just like wolves and they need to be dominated, which can not only destroy your relationship with your dog, but make them even more aggressive. The AVS, AHS, and many others have spoken out against him & his practices, saying they only work short term, and there have been protests worldwide. Especially since he has been seen kicking dogs on his show, using shock collars, and making dogs walk behind him.
Victoria Stillwell and Zak George are respected dog trainers that promote positive dog training methods, if anyone is interested. They both have free youtube videos and are on FB.
Old 04-08-17, 11:08 AM  
Candice
VF Supporter

We have a very similar problem. Our trainer suggested this, which helps a lot, but has to be done EVERY time--trainer is not big on using treats. Meet visitor outside with dog, walk a few minutes, ignoring the dog, let the visitor into the house first, BEFORE the dog. Our dog is much calmer when we do this, but she will still want to inspect the visitor. Keep the dog on a leash that you sit on (!) if it will be in the same room, with a toy or something to chew on that only comes out when visitors are there. We have neighborhood kids in and out all the time, and we are at the point where she knows and is fine with some of them, but not all, sigh. Also, never use the crate for punishment, it needs to be a place where the dog will feel safe. I will give her treats to entice her in there if needed, don't tell our trainer!
Candice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cats, dogs