Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-15, 04:28 PM  
CoolGirlinFl888

Quote:
Originally Posted by dela View Post
As someone FINALLY healing from what seems to be a pretty common shoulder overuse injury, I will vote for less stress on the shoulders too.

I would love to see moves taken from traditional rehab type shoulder work used more than the traditional overhead press. It seems with this type of injury, it's just best to not do overhead work, but I do think changing the hand position to be pushing straight up (palms facing you) can make it safer in general. Also, please (and this is for all instructors) stop with the upright row. This from what I have read and heard, appears to be one of the worst moves for shoulders and really increases the chance of injury, yet instructors keep incorporating it. Why take the chance, there are other moves to use.
Really??? I have never heard this! I have been doing upright rows with heavy weights and they built up my shoulders just nicely. In fact I took a selfies a day ago after getting out the shower and noticed my nicely shaped shoulders when I had the towel wrapped around me. It made me want to buy more strapless dresses.
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-15, 12:07 PM  
fitmiller

I too have to be careful with shoulder exercises. I often hear clicking noises when doing upright rows and I haven't been going any heavier than 12's, and sometimes less. I've always had pretty defined shoulders so I don't feel like I have to over do it anyway.
fitmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-15, 12:23 PM  
dela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGirlinFl888 View Post
Really??? I have never heard this! I have been doing upright rows with heavy weights and they built up my shoulders just nicely. In fact I took a selfies a day ago after getting out the shower and noticed my nicely shaped shoulders when I had the towel wrapped around me. It made me want to buy more strapless dresses.
It's not that they don't work, they do, but they also increase your chance for injury. I thought I was immune to all these types of injuries, then I passed 40 and well...

If you are interested a google search will come up with articles on it, it has something to do with impingement, I'm awful with details. I'm definitely not here to tell anyone what to do or not do, but for me, I need to steer clear of anything that has a higher than normal risk for shoulder injury.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-15, 12:36 PM  
dela

Oh, but other things I'm REALLY hoping for, is a kickboxing workout that is full of fun routines and not so many drills, I want lots of kicking and punching combos, not lots of jumping jacks Kickboxing and boxing are my favorite cardio, but I did not like the original rock em sock em because of all those jumping jacks

As far as mat legs, I'm not a fan of mat workouts, so I'm hoping to finally meet one I like or at least like well enough (but that could be asking for a miracle).

Bootcamp, looking for some unique drills to mix things up. I agree the use of a step for a jog up/jump up/step up type move would be fun. I would like her to incorporate some gym toys like weighted balls in the moves too.

Upper and lower body chiseled - I have lots of workouts now that can use heavy weights, I'm looking for moderate weight work that really burns out the muscles being worked, and won't require a really heavy weight to make it effective.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-15, 04:18 PM  
pfhanna

The pre sale price for this series ends around July 3, if I remember correctly? I am still on the fence but starting to fall off the other side
Pam
Old 07-02-15, 02:50 PM  
tiletha444

I love everything about RWH! I like the outfits, set, Cathe's fun attitude, and LOVE the music! I wish I could incorporate more of this series into my workout routine, but it's just too much. The low impact workouts go at a fast pace as well. I know it's supposed to be HiiT, but geez! So, if Cathe brought RWH down to a TRUE intermediate level, I would be sooo happy!
tiletha444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-15, 12:14 PM  
Pambie

Cathe's ICE Series--What are you hoping for?

This is the only workout that I have ever pre-ordered (and I was an original Firm believer). Typically I wait for reviews (lots of them) before making a purchase. I wish that I had done that in this case, but the fact that this workout is not for me has more to do with the fact that I simply wasn't paying attention. I don't like Cathe's cardio workouts; never have. I'm super slow with choreography and have always preferred to get my cardio from running than choreographed aerobic or step workouts. That said, what the hell was I thinkin'?

I've done both the Metabolic workout and the To The Mat (or whatever it's called) lower body workout and I love them both. The Metabolic workout keeps you pumped the entire workout and gives you a nice total body workout. The lower body mat workout uses two kinds of resistance bands and I really enjoyed it. I didn't feel that Cathe was 'talking down' at all. I was able to maintain same weights as her in most of the workouts. I miss Cede and Lorraine and Brenda. I can't say as I notice the music, but I did hear a few "ignore the beat." I haven't worked out with music that complemented the workout since the original Firm. Cathe looks great and I've never had a problem with her cuing. I'll give the rest of it a whirl but will probably sell them on eBay. Again, my own fault, and your mileage may vary. I'll stick with Cathe's weight workouts.

PS: I have no issue with any of Cathe's shoulder exercises and actually prefer them to the boring crap they had me doing when I was getting rehab for a car accident. In fact, it was when I got back to my traditional shoulder work that my shoulders healed.

Tags
cathe, cathe friedrich, cathe ice, ice series