Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-13, 10:55 PM  
bfit

OT: has anyone given their cat Duralactin?

I hope this doesn't violate the policy about supplements, but it's a cat supplement I'm asking about. Our vet recommended a supplement called Duralactin for our senior cat (14 years old) because she may have some arthritis in her back. I've been mixing it into her food for a couple of days now, and fortunately, she either likes it or hasn't noticed it's in her food. Does anyone have any experience with this? Has it helped anyone else's pet?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 05:47 AM  
CHAPLYN61

I have not used that. But for my aging cat (16) had issues so bad it was all he could do to use the litter box. 2 items were recommended as I have a very fincky cat that will not take meds well. The first was Cosequin, which can be sprkinkled onto wet food and the other was Glyco-flex. they are not meant to be used together it was either one or the other. My Rusty was pretty hurting when I took him to the vet, so they did put him on some type of a pain killer for 3 days which help. the powder on the food lasted about 2 days when my cat realized there was something on his food. He is also a grazer, not the type of cat that would gobbled down his food. So I switched to the glyco- flex II, which I now by on Amazon and it has been a good send. in less that a week of twice daily treats he was much more mobile. After about 3 weeks he was moving so much better than he had in months. After a month he is maintained once a day with the treat ( which I need to break up for him). I was so impressed with the use of this supplement for him that I decided to start Glucosomne and Chondroitin for myself! They had also recommended daily fish oil ( this came in a pump and I can't remember the name) but was so stinky fishy smelling that the cat would not eat it on his food. And he is moving so much better on the glyco-flex that I am happy with this.
CHAPLYN61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 06:37 AM  
fit44

I read a mastiff health forum and many use this supplement for a natural anti-inflammatory. Durlactin has a few formulas for dogs with or without glucosamine. It works well with glucosamine.
The human version is cheaper-
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/micro...FcxcMgodSzMAOg
fit44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 06:51 AM  
beatchica

A lot of older cat's have underlying kidney disease.
If this is the case, be very careful giving cat's with kidney disease any supplements. As you would not want to tax what remaining kidney function that they have.
beatchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 07:42 AM  
PrairieGem

Not for cats, but it's done wonders for my dog with bad arthritis. It's a powerful anti-inflammatory, but safe for animals with liver disease. With the addition of Duralactin, within a couple of months she was able to go off her regular pain medication. She just had emergency surgery for a gall bladder problem that was affecting her liver, and her doctors told us it was absolutely fine to keep giving her the Duralactin (but not painkillers). It's been a great addition to her treatment, and we're really pleased with it.

HTH!
Old 05-22-13, 11:05 AM  
bfit

Thanks for the heads up about kidney disease. I did already ask the vet about that, and he said there's no indication that this affects the kidneys or that it adversely affects animals with kidney disease.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 07:05 PM  
tamib

The vet recommended fish oil (Eicosa Caps) and Dasuquin which is supposed to be a new improved version of Cosequin for my cat's arthritis but I can't seem to get him to eat them for more than a few days. We also tried the new Science Diet cat foods for arthritis which did seem to help but after a week or so he wouldn't eat that either. I'm considering the cold laser therapy and hyaluronic acid injections now, anyone have any experience with that? I may try the Glyco Flex also.

Tammy
tamib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 09:28 PM  
CHAPLYN61

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamib View Post
The vet recommended fish oil (Eicosa Caps) and Dasuquin which is supposed to be a new improved version of Cosequin for my cat's arthritis but I can't seem to get him to eat them for more than a few days. We also tried the new Science Diet cat foods for arthritis which did seem to help but after a week or so he wouldn't eat that either. I'm considering the cold laser therapy and hyaluronic acid injections now, anyone have any experience with that? I may try the Glyco Flex also.

Tammy
Tammy,
My 16 year old cat could barely make it to the litter box he was so bad. after a week of twice a day treats there was a marked improvement, after about 3 weeks he was so much better and today his is getting up on stuff that he was afaid to before. He was a little funny about the treats at first and I have to break them up, but now he sees the bag and comes running for his nightly treat. While the Cosequin could be sprinkled on food, he did not always finish it in one sitting and he noticed the power and stopped eating his wet food. All items were recommendations of the vet and it was hit or miss trying to find what Rusty would take. Good luck.
CHAPLYN61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cats, dogs, gall bladder