Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-01-21, 09:10 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Barefoot and on the Mat - October, 2021 - Pumpkin Spice Edition!

I didn’t see our October check-in up, so here goes.

This check-in is for ANYONE and EVERYONE who enjoys ANY type of barefoot workouts, including yoga, Pilates, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, kickboxing, kettlebells, barefoot cardio, whatever - we welcome all! We are a friendly group of diverse ages and backgrounds. Post your workouts or not, we don't care...we'd love to have you join us in any capacity!

October’s the month when the smallest breeze
Gives us a shower of autumn leaves
Bonfires and pumpkins, leaves sailing down --
October is red, and golden and brown

(Kindergarten poem, author unknown)
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-21, 09:15 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Here's how I wrapped up September:

Happy October!

This is one of my favorite months, along with May. Goodbye humidity, hello Pumpkin Spice! Yesterday featured:

~ YWK Guided Morning Meditation, Morning Yin Yoga Full Body Stretch, plus Mantra Meditation
~ Mirabai Holland Moving Free Cardio level 1
~ Winsor Flat Abs Pilates, Definition
~ 6,121 steps

The Winsor was killer - I could only stretch for the last five minutes, way too advanced - boomerang, leg pulldown, etc. Dang Mari.

Pam, I'm so sorry to see the bad news about your BIL. I hate to think someone who stays fit and active at age 75 suffered an injury. Which Stephen King are you reading?

I have to skedaddle too - will visit later.
Old 10-01-21, 10:09 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Deep Stretch Yin Yoga (Legs & Hips)

Pat, thank you for starting our October month for us!

Pam, you are a sweet sister to drive your BIL and sister back home. I'm sure they appreciated it. I'm sending healing thoughts to your BIL.

Beth, I see that there are 3 Herbal Essences Tea Tree shampoos. One is Clarifying Tea Tree; another is Clarifying Tea Tree & Jasmine and another is Clarifying Tea Tree & Orange Blossom. Which one of those is the one you like?
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-21, 12:15 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine, hmm...I think the tea tree and jasmine, but now I have to check when I get home! One of the reasons I like it is because it has a nice fresh scent, not like tea tree at all. I've only used it a couple of times b/c I'm trying to finish up my old shampoo.

Pat, thanks for the new month reminder! My boss mentioned it in our meeting this morning, which reminded me to change my calendar.

Happy October, Happy Friday, and TGIF!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-21, 12:46 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

Pat58: Thanks for starting us off this month. Love the Pumpkin Spice title! I love October, too.

No workout today since I take Fridays off due to my schedule. However, I did go out and get my flu shot.

Paine: I'm pretty sure I still have that Yin Yoga DVD -- now you've got me curious to try out the Legs & Hips section.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-21, 01:44 PM  
Twigs

Hello all!

Pat - Thank you for starting us off and for the poem. I like this time of year, when the trees are changing colour.

I seem to have a sweet spot of 20 minute workouts these days:
- Body Groove Feel Good Party - great music. I didn't do the last track.
- Ellen B Ballet Sculpt with Weights
- MFML Pilates Shoulder Stability & Neck Relaxation
- MFML Waiting for the Kettle to Boil - 5 minutes
- Yoga-Inspired Full Body Stretch (YT). No commentary at all. I quite enjoyed how relaxing this felt and loved the music.

Pam - I'm so sorry to hear about your BIL. Sending him best wishes for a speedy recovery. We've turned on our heating too over the past two days. It feels quite chilly in the mornings now.

Paine - When I was in Arizona last year, I found a hair conditioner in a health shop, which I thought was pretty good for my thick dry hair that's prone to frizz. It's called Earth Science Avocado and Olive Oil. You probably wouldn't want three but thought you may want to read the reviews. Some people don't like the smell but I didn't mind it.

Sandra - Hope you don't suffer any side effects from the flu shot. I'm supposed to get a booster Covid shot along with the flu shot sometime soon.

Waves Beth. Hope you manage to have the weekend off Cyana.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

"Practice makes progress" ~ Sandra Hanna
Twigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-21, 10:11 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Hi everyone! I had so much fun yesterday. A family entourage and I visited the birds of prey rescue and rehabilitation place where my son volunteers. It is out in a beautiful part of CT, we will go back to the area for trail walking. DS gave us a tour of the enclosures. We got to meet bald eagles; redtailed, red shouldered and other hawks; Peregrine falcons; great horned, barred, screech and saw-whet owls; three ravens and multiple crows; a turkey vulture and several black vultures. I never saw this coming but I fell in love with the black vultures! Who knew they had so much personality! They're curious and animated, hopping and flapping around and coming up to "talk" to us.

DS taught us about the types of birds, their background that brings them to live at the facility, and their behaviors. There is such a kind and loving spirit about the place. No mean person ever went there, I'm sure. But - it is also sad to see these majestic birds needing to live in mesh wired enclosures. 98% of the inpatients are due to human intervention. The car strikes are unavoidable I guess, but diseases from pesticides and rodenticides, and people that shoot hawks and owls and leave fishing gear behind cause a lot of it.

But there is a hopeful aspect, because there are off-limits enclosures where the birds are healing up for future release back in the wild.
Old 10-04-21, 10:23 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Good 'N Strong Volume 2 Upper Body work plus calves and abs
Essentrics

Beth, I look forward to hearing your thoughts about your Yoga for Healthy Aging training.
That's a good idea to get your Pfizer booster on a day when you can take it easy the next day just in case you have any malaise from it.

Cyana, yes the tooth fairy came and left my grandson with a crisp new two dollar bill. He was thrilled.
About the Rolling Stones... They are playing 2 concerts this month about 20 minutes away from where I live. I was an enormous Rolling Stones fan when I was in my late teens and during my 20's. I have fond memories of seeing them in concerts many times in the 70's. I'm surprised they are touring with the pandemic going on! The Eagles and Doobie Brothers are also playing concerts this month 20 minutes away from us. I wouldn't feel safe attending a concert with this pandemic especially in Los Angeles.
That's a funny story about Mick Jagger not being recognized at a dive bar, LOL!

Sandra, my 6 year old grandson has another loose tooth that will fall out soon. I will miss those baby teeth smiles once all the permanent teeth come in.

Pat, wow you saw a lot of different birds! How nice that your son educated you about the various types of birds. I never saw black vultures and didn't even know they existed.
Old 10-04-21, 10:40 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

My report:

Friday:
~ Yoga With Kassandra 10 Minute Morning Yoga for Hips & Lower Back
~ Lee Holden Qigong for More Energy
~ 5,611 steps

Saturday:
~ Beach walk
~ YWK 15 Minute Sleep Yoga - Yin Yoga for Sore Muscles
~ 7,706 steps

Sunday: Rest/nothing formal plus 3,763 steps

I'm working through a lot of achy, stiff areas and tweaked my old hip flexor injury doing the Mirabai workout. It has a lot of lateral moves, and I could feel it coming on but kept going thinking a stretch would get rid of it. But everything is acting up so it could just be an inflammation episode. Roll eyes! So I'll be in a rehab mode for a while, this time I'll incorporate meditation and especially keep an eye on what I'm eating to see if something is contributing. Tomorrow is rheumatologist so we'll talk about it.

Beth, your bike ride sounds beautiful. Those animal sightings are so good for the mental part of fitness.

Pam, I subscribed to Flow With Mira, thanks. Hoping to find some short and sweet practices. Oh yes I am a Stephen King Constant Reader, as he calls us. I've been reading him since before I met DH. That Burn & Firm Pilates is a perfect little workout, isn't it?

Thank you for the pumpkins spice oats, Cyana. I'm going to make a batch right now, minus coffee. I cheat with mine and zap them in the micro though. I am also happy to be back in the land of Instant Pot, sweet potato and black bean stews, roasted fall veggies land. I saw that about Mick. What would you do if you ran into him at a bar? I think I would try to contain myself but would have to at least make eye contact and smile. Or I might faint.

Paine, congrats on the booster. And to GS growing his first big boy tooth! Good to hear your side effects weren't horrific.

I hope you're in a better mood, Sandra. Enjoy your free taters - how will you make them?

Margot, do you have a recipe to share for the carrot cake baked oats?

Well I better get off my keester and do something anti-inflammatory. Have a great Moan Day everyone!
Old 10-04-21, 10:59 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Pat, Mmmmmm your sweet potato and black bean stew sounds good!
In my late teens and also in my 20's, I would have gone nuts to see Mick Jagger at a bar! That man stole my innocence when I saw him in concert for the first time singing "Starfu__er" when I was 18!! He doesn't do it for me anymore but I can still feel the thrill I had back then when I hear their music.