Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-04, 09:51 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

Counting out Combos: A Stupid habit

I'm just curious to know if any one else out there does this. I find that I'm always counting the 16, 32, or 64 beats of the workout combos I'm doing, as I'm doing them. It's like I need to check to make sure that everything is as it should be as far as the counts go... - and of course, it always is. Sometimes, an instructor will mess with my mind a bit, though. Rob Glick, for example will follow up a 32 count combo with a 16 count combo and mix things up. Mark Hendrick does this too. It's a way of analyzing the workout as I do it.

Does anyone else have any idea of what I'm talking about???

I'm not a compulsive person in any way, but I seem to have developed this habit.
Old 05-19-04, 11:59 PM  
archiesgirl

I sort of do that, but not quite as detailed as you; I mainly just count in 4-4 time. I find it really helpful when I'm doing step aerobics, because counting out the music helps me stay on track with the moves.
archiesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-04, 12:32 AM  
klwgriffin

Are you by any chance a musician?

I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
klwgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-04, 05:16 AM  
cmiyachi

I do that quite a bit because I am an instructor. I have to count internally to myself when I'm teaching. The beats you are measuring I think are what's called "musical phrases". And for a class to be good, you should be teaching on the phrases. I know that the music make especially for instructors tries to have 32 beat phrases for teaching.

I have a professional relationship with web sites that sell yoga downloads.
cmiyachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-04, 07:18 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I count to eight a lot when I'm doing Andre or Christi. . .

Other than that I don't. I sometimes NEED to with Andre or Christi to end up on the right foot or in the right place, it helps me figure out where I am!!

But I've never counted out a whole combo.

I find that counting REALLY helps when you're learning choreography.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-04, 08:25 AM  
Suzette
VF Supporter

I'll do that on combos that don't seem to match the music - like Tracie Long's cha cha routine in The Hare. Counting is the only way I can do it because the rhythm is off.
Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-04, 01:40 PM  
Pepnchar

Hi there
I think anyone with a musical or instructional background wants to count the phrases and make sure all the counts are on.
Pepnchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-04, 04:58 PM  
Kyra

I suspect I mentally look for the beat when doing cardio, 'cause I sure know when the routine's off, but I never count through the routines. I do have a musical background, but he only thing I consciously count is reps.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-04, 07:11 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

Not much of a musical background...

I think I have to just stop doing this! It's addictive. Sometimes I get so caught up in counting lately, that I have to tell myself to stop and just enjoy the routine.
Old 05-20-04, 11:05 PM  
amyzan
VF Supporter

Yeeessss, I do that...

...but thankfully I stop myself before I count the full combo most of the time. I never thought about it, but it may just be because of all those childhood music lessons. I started pretty young, maybe 5?

On the other hand, I also front grocery store shelves while shopping from time to time. Compulsive habits die hard, you know? :rolleyes: (I worked the natural foods industry for 8 years, and fronting was something we were all expected to do whenever on the clock and not "busy"...)

AND it makes me feel nuts when someone is ever so slightly off the beat. That's why I asked to return Christi's Terrific Trio DVD--I couldn't deal with the missing three seconds in HHHL where my DVD player doesn't read ahead. Bugged me too much--sad, isn't it?

Amy

from Stream of Life, Rabindranath Tragore
amyzan is offline   Reply With Quote