Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-03-21, 11:07 AM  
Vantreesta

CrossFit questions

I've recently started doing some CrossFit type workouts and have watched the tutorial videos on Constantly Varied Gear's YouTube channel (their Murph training challenge is what got me interested in this type of workouts). To me some of the moves don't look super safe (kipping handstand pushups, butterfly pullups, and chest to deck burpees are a few) and seem to be done somewhat differently from how the exercises are done in the weightlifting and kettlebell DVDs I have. So it has me wondering, are CrossFit and Olympic style lifting a different beast from the weight training I'm used to after years of doing DVDs? And are the moves considered generally safe if you know what you're doing? I'm completely new to CrossFit type workouts as of May. Thanks!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-21, 12:09 PM  
rhbrand

A good coach in CrossFit won't have you do kipping moves until you can do the actual move with good form. I was lucky enough to do CrossFit with a good coach. Not that I ever managed a pullup or handstand pushup but he got me doing burpees in a very quick manner and doing snatches, clean and jerks etc.

In CrossFit, esp. if you want to compete, you need to be able to go the moves as fast as you can, hence the kipping moves. You use some momentum to get the pullup done faster. But they all can do full pullups and such with good form.
Old 07-04-21, 01:08 PM  
mamaste

CrossFit moved are designed to be metabolic. You move in a way to definitely get your heart rate up. That’s why so many of the moves are dynamic. I agree with Rhonda, a good coach will have you build up to the moves. As for chest to deck burpees, I do them all the time. I would start with stepping out slowly before doing it fast.

Just keep doing the CVG workouts and you’ll feel more comfortable. If you have questions about mods, ask in the FB group or on the CVG app.
Old 07-04-21, 01:21 PM  
Vantreesta

Thank you both for your replies! I can't see me ever going to a box as I prefer working out at home alone so I'm grateful for the CVG movement library (and there are others on YouTube as well). It's nice that you can post videos for form checks on CVG too. Also smthg I can't see myself doing but more likely than going to a box if I really needed help. I appreciate the encouragement to keep at it. I was having so much fun with it doing Murph training along with the group but have lost some momentum since then (general mojo loss, not just CVG/CF). I won't be buying the ebook or signing up for TTSL daily so it will just be their free weekly giveaway workouts and other free ones from a WOD generator app or found online. One more week of lower key stuff and then plan to hit it hard after that. Thanks again!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 07-04-21, 02:51 PM  
rhbrand

You can also check out the official CrossFit site. They have a daily WOD they post. They also have a lot of videos on the moves and a few show the modifications.

I've gotten some workouts from there and my former coach when I went to a box would get some of his workouts right from the site.
Old 07-04-21, 03:35 PM  
Vantreesta

Thanks, Rhonda!

Old 07-28-21, 10:34 PM  
Vantreesta

I have another question. What does buy in and cash out mean in the Crossfit context?

Old 07-28-21, 11:59 PM  
mamaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I have another question. What does buy in and cash out mean in the Crossfit context?
Before you can start the workout, you “cash in” with a series of exercises. Then after the actual workout, you “cash out” with a series of exercises. Like if you join a poker game, you cash in. After you’re done, you cash oit.
Old 07-29-21, 12:13 AM  
rhbrand

Basically the "Buy in" is like their warmup. A bunch of moves, say "row 500m do 15 ab mat sit ups, and 20 air squats then mobility work"

and the cash out is the cool down. My coach always did a lot of foam rolling and mobility work for our cash out. I must admit I was gaining back a LOT of flexibility back in my Crossfit days.
Old 07-29-21, 08:19 AM  
Vantreesta

Thanks, guys! I appreciate your explaining this stuff to me!

Tags
crossfit, crossfit at home