Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-03, 05:13 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Re: Not bionic

Quote:
Originally posted by Linda H
Too bad we only learn these things after we get hurt.
You guys sharing your experiences may very well help someone avoid a future injury. That's why I always read the injury threads. I've learned a lot that way. So thanks!!! We appreciate it.

Here's an article that discusses some other riskier shoulder exercises:

http://www.hardgainer.com/articles/17-60.html

As far a Joyce being bionic, as someone pointed out, she's not. But it's important to realize that not all folks are built the same, and some people are just blessed with more robust joints than other folks. Pro bodybuilders fall into that catagory, IMO. That's why they're not usually the best source of training info (again, my opinion). Many video instructors use riskier moves without telling you they are riskier. That's why it's important to research these things and make your own decision whether the added risk is worth it.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-03, 05:26 PM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

Karen's right--we can all learn from one another's injuries. Some years ago, I got interested in running by reading this board, and I started a running program. Well, even though everything you'll ever read about running will tell you that you should start with low mileage at the beginning, I was having a such a lovely time one day that I overdid it, and had a whopping case of iliotibial band syndrome. I didn't even know that I had an ITB until this happened. I don't know if anyone ever read my posts about the actual injury at the time, but a few months ago, when a fellow VFer started talking about running, I jumped right in there! And so did at least one other person, who'd had a similar experience.

But it has always seemed so grossly unfair that I made that one mistake and it turned into an injury . I will admit that it has made me much more conscious of my body. And I still run--but I stick to my plan. It may not be spontaneous, but it is safe.
Old 01-28-03, 06:52 PM  
LaurenDoon
VF Supporter

Hardgainer link

Karen, Thanks for the link. My son's back has been bothering him from doing bench presses, and I was able to get him some good information from that site.

Lauren
LaurenDoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-03, 07:12 PM  
Girzie

Hi SharonNYC

Hi Sharon,

I also have a history of having injured my shoulders, including damaging my rotator cuff. (Did this through manual labour, not exercise.) I can no longer push weights straight up, but find that if I push them up and slightly forward at the same time, that it allows me to do the exercise.

Just a thought.

Girzie
Girzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-03, 07:53 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Re: Hi SharonNYC

Quote:
Originally posted by Girzie
Hi Sharon,

I also have a history of having injured my shoulders, including damaging my rotator cuff. (Did this through manual labour, not exercise.) I can no longer push weights straight up, but find that if I push them up and slightly forward at the same time, that it allows me to do the exercise.

Just a thought.

Girzie
I'm on orders from my physical therapist not to do any up-presses -- no matter what, and you know how mean they can be . But I have a substitution that, I hope, will suffice.

I'm glad you were able to work around your own injury though. There's always a way.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-03, 08:34 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

!

As someone who has a history of tendinitis (from doing upper body moves on a pilates machine), I can give you some suggestions (just be sure to check with your PT).

First, continue with PT, and ask lots of questions about how to treat and prevent future problems on your own.

Once you've gotten the o.k. to exercise again, here are some things that help me keep from having a recurrence:

There are several strength moves that I omit or modify: when doing overhead presses, I NEVER use a bar (which would lock my shoulders into a movement pattern that causes impingement in my shoulder), but rather used dumbells, held either with my palms facing each other, or at about a 45-degree angle. With this and ALL upper body exercises, I keep in a scapular-retracted position, which seems to hold things where they are supposed to be!

I only do a modified version of upright rows, using dumbells, held in a position kind of half-way between the regular upright row position and a bent-arm row position. I don't go above DB to lower chest on this one.

On bench presses, I avoid a too-deep position.

Another thing I have to watch out for (and I really noticed this after reading about it somewhere) is when I sleep, I tend to throw my arm over my head, which puts my shoulder in an externally rotated position for a long period of time. BAD! Now I watch what position my arm is in and don't wake up with a sore shoulder.

Once or twice a week, I do two special rotator cuff exercises with3# or 5# dumbbells. Exercise 1: lying side 60-degree flye (lying on your left side, with your right arm down the side of your body---putting a folded towel at your waist can make this more comfortable---lift the db up to about 60#. Try for 16-18 reps.)
Exercise 2: Lying L flyes (still lying on your left side, bend your arm so that the dumbbell is out in front of you and the arm is at a 90-degree angle. Rotate your arm so that the dumbbell goes from straight out in front of you to at about a 20-angle less than perpendicular to the floor---Cathe does these in Slow and Heavy).

Hope some of this will help! Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-03, 07:17 AM  
caragoub
VF Supporter

thanks so much everyone!

I can't believe that Linda...that your trainer used that same exercise (the pee-wee lateral) as an example of how *not* to train! Live and learn I guess...

I have ordered that book...the Insiders guide to Weightlifting that's mentioned in the link. I'm still waiting for it, because it's sent first to my mother's house (who doesn't understand the improtance of all of this stuff to me) so it can sometimes take awhile to get to me :rolleyes: !

I Pm'ed you Kathryn...and printed out what you wrote; I'm hoping I can see in my mind what you mean, but I also asked you (and am throwing this out...) do you think that Cathe takes less risks with her form, and it would therefore be safer to use her rather than joyce?

I think that Linda H. mentioned another video...is that available at Amazon or Collage? I can of course go find that out myself, but I don't know about this particular video (how is that possible? )

must go, thank you!

Cara
Old 01-29-03, 07:39 AM  
Jenne
VF Supporter

I've never used Joyce's tape, but I did just start Cathe's PS series. (I've also done her CTX and Body Max weights.) It seems to be okay with me, except for the arnold presses and the clean and press.

I have issues with one of my shoulders. I never got a definitive diagnosis (I have unbelievably bad luck with doctors) but it seems to be some sort of rotator cuff injury. Unfortunately, I sleep on that arm, so unless I splint it or something, it will probably never completely heal. I can still do overhead presses with my regular weight, and side laterals and front raises with extremely light weight (yes, those tiny pink dumbbells ARE good for something!!!!)

The arnold press freaks me out, though. I can't see how that's safe for anyone, let alone those of us with questionable joints.

I have a question about the lat pull-down. I don't have access to a machine. What exercise can I do to build the same muscle and correct a possible imbalance?
Jenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-03, 08:19 AM  
nappentass

Re: Hi SharonNYC

Quote:
Originally posted by Girzie
I also have a history of having injured my shoulders, including damaging my rotator cuff.
I too have suffered injury to shoulder, neck and back and found the article interesting.
The only thing I don't 'get' is submitting yourself for surgery like that without exhausting other possibilities, (when 'normal' treatment fails).
In my case I was no longer being treated by my Doc & Physio, with a case of 'live on painkillers, we can't do any more for you'.
I found an alternative therapy that worked for me and has completely cured what they couldn't/ didn't, it even sorted out a 20 year old problem from a lower back tear, and for any kind of muscular /alignment problem is now the first place I turn for solution in preference to my doctor, I only have to wait until I get an appointment and I'm sorted out again.

Just MHO
J
nappentass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-03, 09:07 AM  
Lisa TV
VF Supporter

Lat Pulldowns At Home

Quote:
Originally posted by Jenne
I have a question about the lat pull-down. I don't have access to a machine. What exercise can I do to build the same muscle and correct a possible imbalance?
Hi Jenne,
When I do these at home, I use a band with handles and a door attachment that holds it in place. The door attachment is cheap (less than $2). You open the door, put it thru the opening (on the hinge side) and close the door. For seated rows, put it about halfway down the door, for lat pulldowns, put it overhead. I sit right on the floor to do them.

Lisa
Lisa TV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jennifer rhodes, pee wee lateral