Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-12-15, 09:20 PM  
LuceLu

Any true big difference between TAM and other Barre/Pilates type workouts?

Hi, I am not all that familiar with pilates, barre etc. I've started Classical Stretch and some Essentrics workouts and really like them-- but I am a beginner and new to pilates/barre type workouts.

I see a lot of hype regarding Tracy Anderson but nothing truly... articulated as to what the difference between her method and some others-- and I notice that she is very firm about only her workouts and series being done in a certain time period in a certain order etc. and I don't know that I could just stick with one instructor like that (I tend to enjoy picking up Leslie Sansone, low impact aerobics like Charlene Prickett, some Jessica Smith and of course The Firm workouts (I've been doing the Firm Basics), PowerFit, some yoga, some etc.-- all on a rotating basis).

I notice as I am aging (50), my flexibility has decreased and my core is weaker and I want to change that. My lower abdominals in particular are weak and I have more than 50 lbs to lose. My range of motion in my neck is decreased as my shoulders are pretty tight from chronic stress/tension. I luckily have no knee problems but have some bone spurs in my feet and have had plantar fascitis in the past and now get some pain in the side ankle/foot that I believe is related to tight hamstring. That is what brought me to Classical Stretch. I have already purchased a few beginner Pilates and Yoga dvds and have some Ballet Beautiful I won off Ebay-- that looks a bit beyond what I can complete at this time.

I did order a couple TAM beginner workouts on Amazon video. Sometimes I have a hard time following her.

Any advice would be appreciated.
LuceLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-15, 09:43 PM  
Orlita

I can't speak regarding Tracy Anderson (her whole demeanor, teaching style and checkered history have always put me off). I do love BarreAmped, Barre3, Bar Method, Exhale Core Fusion, Barlates, etc., as well as Essentrics/Classical Stretch and pilates. But I would highly recommend that you try Yoga Tune Up therapy balls for your tight shoulders/neck. Check out some of Jill Miller's sample videos on youtube (she has her own channel, divided by body part you want to address), and then consider either getting her balls & trying some of the youtube stuff, or ordering one of her sets at her website or through totalfitnessdvds (see her kits & DVDs here). Disclosure: I loved YTU so much I got certified to teach it (and do), so I am a total convert (I am also certified in barre & mat pilates).

I'm 51 and battling the same body changes you mention, and barre and YTU have been an enormous help. I'm also starting to get back into some yoga flow, after year of healing a rotator cuff injury that I thought was triggered by a dancing accident but now -- from what I have read online -- I think was triggered by peri-menopause (google menopause+frozen shoulder & you'll see what I mean).

Anyway....mostly I wanted to tell you about the therapy balls, because I love how they work for me. I hope this helps!
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-15, 10:03 PM  
dakko

You can also check out Jill Miller via the library - DVDs and also her book, The Roll Model.

Bob Anderson's Stretching DVD has some surprisingly effective stretches too, although I don't think I ever see him mentioned here. Just did some today with DH (trying to get him hooked on feeling better) and had forgotten the section about working the feet. Specific stuff for PF too.

Although Classical Stretch should help a lot.
dakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-15, 10:17 PM  
Orlita

Yeah, Jill's book is beautifully put together. Generously packed with information, great & informative photos, people's stories, etc. She did an amazing job.

With my rotator pain, Classical Stretch back pain relief was great, as well as the Essentrics Stretch & Strength in Motion DVD. I also liked Miranda's Ultimate Stretch one, but my copy had a glitch in it so I had to return it (Amazon), and I didn't buy it again. However, I sent Santa a CS/Essentrics wishlist that included it & the new Essentrics & Aging Backwards. So I look forward to more of that full range of motion stretching. It feels great.
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-15, 11:25 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I'm 48 and deal with pain...old injuries and autoimmune issues. CS/Ess, Jill Miller, and Lee Holden's Qi Gong have helped me a lot.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-15, 02:29 PM  
LuceLu

very interesting about Jill Miller!

I currently use these hard rubber balls connected to a rope to press out knots in my back/neck/shoulder/scapular region (self massage) -- I found them at Target. I'm going to order her book- I think there is a sale tonight on Amazon for print books.

Also, her dvds look very promising. Thanks for the referral.

I guess I'll just keep working with the CS/Essentrics tv streaming, the yoga/pilates I have here and try a few of the barre instructors I see mentioned here on YouTube. I'm definitely going to incorporate the Jill Miller as well. I want to progress with my Firms and I think I need to do the above in order to do so without injury. I work as a nurse and still have another 17 years before full SS. I need to be able to stay on my feet, and perform in code situations so must be fit and avoid injury.
Old 12-13-15, 07:28 PM  
slysam

Hi, as far as your question about whether there is a difference. Yes!

I have done classic Pilates (my teacher was certified by Joseph Pilates protege), ballet barre (beginners ballet classes), ballet barre and old school pilates fusion, various pilates fusion, several types of fitness barre (Physique 57, Barre3, BarreAmped, Extend, Core Fusion, Squeeze, Dream Body Fusion, Cardio Barre, etc) and Tracy Anderson Method.

There is a big enough difference between them all that one may work well for you but not another. There is a pretty big difference between ballet barre and workout barre actually -- to the point my ballet barre/pilates fusion teacher watched some Lotte Berk influenced barre workouts and complained they are doing it completely wrong.

The similarity among all these is they use similar language about elongating. "long muscles", etc. Also all involve mind-body coordination. All help with flexibility and core strength if done right.

I am not sure I would suggest Tracy Anderson Method from what you said. (Ducking flames as she has a lot of fans). I like her workouts, but came to it after doing all the others mentioned. And her logic doesn't always make sense. Hopefully your videos cue well, because she doesn't always cue well. I honestly don't worry about the cuing, I consider her tips but do not worry whether I am doing the same movement as she does. When I do her dance workouts, I improvise using the types of movements she does. If it is a new workout, I do what she was doing not what she currently does as I would be frustrated with her cueing otherwise.

I think most of the better pilates and barre workouts provide much better form cues. Fitness Barre typically uses smaller isometric movements. It looks similar to ballet barre since a barre is used and both involve plie's. Tracy involves larger movements and varying angles. Some barre workouts mix the larger movements and the pulsing isometrics so there are a lot of variations.

Sorry if that adds to confusion, but there are differences among the different genres you mention. There are similarities too.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-15, 07:37 PM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuceLu View Post

I notice as I am aging (50), my flexibility has decreased and my core is weaker and I want to change that. My lower abdominals in particular are weak and I have more than 50 lbs to lose. My range of motion in my neck is decreased as my shoulders are pretty tight from chronic stress/tension. I luckily have no knee problems but have some bone spurs in my feet and have had plantar fascitis in the past and now get some pain in the side ankle/foot that I believe is related to tight hamstring. That is what brought me to Classical Stretch. I have already purchased a few beginner Pilates and Yoga dvds and have some Ballet Beautiful I won off Ebay-- that looks a bit beyond what I can complete at this time.
I think you would do well with some of the slower barre workouts. I don't have Ballet Beautiful though so I can't comment. I have some Classical Stretch and the instructor drives me nuts with her off topic chatter (I would like the workouts otherwise). Also she is uneven on both sides because she will chat a lot on the first side then rush through. i am not that impressed with the cueing in Classical Stretch. But I think they are beneficial workouts.

Maybe you would do well to alternate a toning barre type workout with classical stretch.

Most barre will help with posture, core, legs and shoulders. I feel Barre3 is quite good in those areas. And so is Suzanne Bowen's workouts. Don't worry about doing so many reps at first. That is one of the big differences between ballet barre + pilates and fitness barre. The pilates and ballet barre tend not to do so many reps. Old school Callanetics might help, I find it a little slow in pace.

Tracy Anderson method might help if you are really careful in your form. I did a lot of TAM when I was rehabbing a shoulder injury and it helped, but I did not go at the pace she does. I just watched her arm workouts a few times and read her book and did it at my own controlled pace with no weights. People do see good results from TAM, but some also get injured.
Old 12-13-15, 07:46 PM  
slysam

If you do TAM, I think that there is something to doing the same workout a certain number of times. I get better at it after a few times, possibly in part because of her cueing. I never did her workouts exclusively as to me her logic doesn't really make sense.

I get that some of her studio clients come to her to get a certain look and she wants them to stick with her method for better control. She claims that some are "bulked" from repetitive aerobic activity like spinning. I don't feel that I have ever bulked from cardio or any type of exercise.

Unless you are doing a low impact version, I am not sure her cardio would be good for you from what you describe as it is pretty high impact. I think you are fine doing other cardio or leslie walks if you prefer as they are not too repetitive and are whole body workouts. But unless your goal is a certain look, I am not sure you need to follow her advice on cardio. She does suggest cardio for weight loss in addition to her toning since she feels most beginners cannot put enough energy into the toning to burn many calories from it. But most on Video Fitness would point out weight loss is more about diet than exercise anyway and it is complicated by hormonal changes.

I will shut up now. You may do well with TAM, but I don't think you need to stop Classical stretch and your favorite cardio if you don't want to. They might actually complement it well.
Old 12-13-15, 08:46 PM  
LuceLu

Thanks so--your reply was so thoughtful

I think right now, you are right, I need the lower impact and I do want to work on posture, legs, abdominals/core and my shoulders/back. Is there an entry for Barre3/Suzanne Bowen? I stream the Essentrics TV so have access to both Miranda and her daughter.

I was looking through my dvds and see I do have a beginner barre-- Exhale: Core fusion barre basics for beginners. I'm going to add a section (10 minute) to my workouts each day and see how it goes. I have to admit, all the different barre style is very confusing. I thank you for your kind advice. I will recheck out TAM when I am in better shape and have had some more exposure. I agree, doing anything the same frequently, you will have a better familiarity. I don't need to look like a young Hollywood starlet or ballerina, I just wish to lose weight, have a waist/abdomen that is concave and to have strength and flexibility to see me through my next few decades as an active adult and not in a diaper and a wheelchair lol.