Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-12, 05:50 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Counterfeiting on CBS News

Darn. I just missed a segment on CBS news about counterfeiting. Someone from Beachbody was talking about P90X. I'll need to try to find the segment online. He said they've lost millions in revenue. Don't quote me on that - like I said, I just caught the end of it and I may have taken that out of context.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-12, 07:01 PM  
mamaste

I don't see the video yet. Here's the article: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_16...nuing-problem/
Old 05-11-12, 07:21 PM  
Vee

I saw a post on a body building forum about DDP yoga. Someone had posted, "Some of you must be rich or something. Why buy when you can torrent?" Sean had written once that it was easy to crack the security of download websites. The number of cardio coach downloads was way above actual purchases and his datalink charges were astronomical.

There used to be a theory that if you make a product very affordable, people will buy it rather than take the trouble to torrent. I have seen that work with music and movies but not with workouts. The market is still not large enough to make up for the revenue lost from piracy, and the volumes not large enough to turn a profit on low price.

With products like p90x, AOS and STS, those of us who pay full price subsidise the large numbers who torrent (search for AOS or cathe STS in google and a large number of torrent download links will show up). But we keep the industry alive.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 11:05 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I just saw the video. Did I hear that right - Beachbody themselves set up a pirate site and sold pirated DVDs just to see how many pirated DVDs they could sell?? Wow!

So if you bought a bootleg Beachbody DVD directly from Beachbody, does that mean it's legit?

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 11:50 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post

So if you bought a bootleg Beachbody DVD directly from Beachbody, does that mean it's legit?

Being in the software business, and having had someone try to rip us off multiple times, I do get pretty angry at people thinking it's "clever" to rip off stuff. Do they think it's free to make this stuff? This is people's livelihood! Ok, don't get me started......
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 11:55 AM  
afirmrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
I just saw the video. Did I hear that right - Beachbody themselves set up a pirate site and sold pirated DVDs just to see how many pirated DVDs they could sell?? Wow!

I was thinking the same thing when I watched the video.

-----------------------------------------------
"Oxygen is free. Breath it in!" Jennifer Galardi DOTI Hip Hop Party

"A 30-minute workout is just 2% of your day. No excuses." Clubz

Lisa Shaffer 2013 10,000 Kettlebell Swing challenge completed.
afirmrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 12:57 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I don't approve of counterfeiting, but

I think the secret is to lower prices. I'm sure that BB has made its original investment back on P90X and then some. If they lowered prices, there would be less chance of counterfeiting.
Old 05-12-12, 01:12 PM  
afirmrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I think the secret is to lower prices. I'm sure that BB has made its original investment back on P90X and then some. If they lowered prices, there would be less chance of counterfeiting.
Or have a sale every once in awhile.

-----------------------------------------------
"Oxygen is free. Breath it in!" Jennifer Galardi DOTI Hip Hop Party

"A 30-minute workout is just 2% of your day. No excuses." Clubz

Lisa Shaffer 2013 10,000 Kettlebell Swing challenge completed.
afirmrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 05:39 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

As someone commented on the CBS site, how can BB say they lost $75 million? Many people wouldn't buy the originals because they're too expensive - so that's money they wouldn't have had anyway. The amount they lose from people who would have bought from them is a lot less.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 08:47 PM  
Belle de Jour

I'm a DVD/CD collector and I absolutely abhor bootlegging ... however, I'm not sure if I can always believe Beachbody's claims (and I have been a fan of a lot of their products). They have been attacking legitimate people who sell used DVDs on eBay and Amazon, claiming copyright violations, haven't they?
Belle de Jour is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beachbody, bootleg, bootlegs, counterfeit, piracy