Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-15-11, 07:06 PM  
Fit Kitty

HELP! I think I have bootleg Zumbas - the first set

I won Zumba (the first set) on an eBay auction. Four days after I paid and received the shipping notice, I received an email from eBay that the auction had been pulled but they did not say why. In their email to me, eBay suggested I open a Paypal dispute, so I did that.

Now the Zumba set has arrived. The disks don't have a purple back and they look pretty legit but how can I tell if these are bootlegs? Could someone with the authentic Zumbas take a look at the playing side of their disks and tell me if there are any words as follows (the words are embedded in the disks and are very tiny and difficult to read without a magnifying glass, at least for me):

ZUMBA-Beginners
ZUMBA-Advanced (words are both normal and mirror image)
ZUMBA-Abs, Buns and Thighs
ZUMBA-Power (words are both normal and mirror image)

There is also a lot of barcoding but no actual numbers.

I would love to hear from as many VFers as possible so I'll know for sure.

Thanks in advance!
Karen
Fit Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-11, 06:09 AM  
Fit Kitty

Doesn't anybody have the original Zumba set? I would be very grateful if you could look at your disks so I'll know if these are fakes. I'm not sure why eBay would pull the auction and notify me to initiate a Paypal dispute if they weren't bootlegs?

I would really appreciate some help from my VF friends!
Karen
Old 03-16-11, 06:27 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit Kitty View Post
Doesn't anybody have the original Zumba set? I would be very grateful if you could look at your disks so I'll know if these are fakes. I'm not sure why eBay would pull the auction and notify me to initiate a Paypal dispute if they weren't bootlegs?

I would really appreciate some help from my VF friends!
Karen
A friend lent me three Zumbas last week. They are copyrighted 2004. I have no idea when the first set was done. But these have exactly what you said, very small, mirror printed and correctly printed on the playing side. I have only three of them, though. But that is just what she gave me.
I don't know where she got them, but I know she has had them for a couple of years.
HTH

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-11, 06:38 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I looked up my old set. It's the original set from 2002 and consists of: Steps, Beginners, Advanced and Rapido. The set you bought sounds like the 2nd set. Mine doesn't have any kind of writing like that on the playing side, sorry.

ETA - My set is pretty rare I think because I couldn't find any sets for sale. Here's a photo link to the Rapido cover: http://www.techguy.net/store/images/...500_AA300_.jpg
The 1st set has a distinctive wave-shaped colored design on the right side of each cover, while the 2nd set has a curve.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-11, 10:15 AM  
Fit Kitty

Thanks, Renda! I feel much better now. I hated all the drama with eBay sending me the warning. I just didn't know what to expect. And then when the set arrived, they certainly looked legitimate. I'm so glad I can rely on VF for information.

Thanks, Lucky - I had no idea there was a previous Zumba set. Yours definitely sounds like a keeper! BTW, what's it like? The set I got looks like a lot of fun - I have the QVC set too and love that one. Although I normally dislike repetitive steps, I really like it for dance videos and especially Zumba. I am a bit choreographically challenged and it takes me a loooooong time to learn the "moves."

Karen
Old 03-16-11, 02:43 PM  
CharM

Karen, do they play? I don't have Zumba, but I checked around and read that most people who get bootlegs have trouble playing them. They tend to skip or freeze. I also read (don't know if it's true) that the distributors of Zumba have been shutting down even legitimate ebay listings.

I hope yours are not fake, it's disappointing when that happens.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-11, 02:51 PM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

Sometimes you can tell the bootlegs because they don't do chapters correctly. So, if you try to skip to the next section, it either does not do anything, or, it skips all of the way to the end.
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-11, 05:04 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit Kitty View Post
Thanks, Lucky - I had no idea there was a previous Zumba set. Yours definitely sounds like a keeper! BTW, what's it like? The set I got looks like a lot of fun - I have the QVC set too and love that one. Although I normally dislike repetitive steps, I really like it for dance videos and especially Zumba. I am a bit choreographically challenged and it takes me a loooooong time to learn the "moves."
Sorry Karen, I didn't see your question until just now. I got this set a l-o-n-g time ago, previewed it once and decided I didn't like Zumba! LOL, I really didn't like dance workouts back then. I was heavier and clumsier. FF a bunch of years and now I love Zumba but almost forgot I had these! Your question stirred me into looking for them, and now I'm looking forward to trying the set again. What I recall was a very simple, inexpensive-looking set and live music, I think. Giselle Roque de Escobar (she of Crunch Cardio Salsa fame) was one of the instructors assisting Beto.

I can't remember more -- I really must try them again.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-11, 05:38 PM  
roleez
VF Supporter

Did your set come in individual cases for each one or were they all in one case?
Old 03-17-11, 06:36 AM  
Fit Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharM View Post
Karen, do they play? I don't have Zumba, but I checked around and read that most people who get bootlegs have trouble playing them. They tend to skip or freeze. I also read (don't know if it's true) that the distributors of Zumba have been shutting down even legitimate ebay listings.

I hope yours are not fake, it's disappointing when that happens.
Hey, Char - They play great and the picture is clear. I think they're legit! I bet you're right about even legit auctions being shut down because there were 3 other auctions that I had bid on earlier which got shutdown and I was really starting to wonder what was going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyskier View Post
Sometimes you can tell the bootlegs because they don't do chapters correctly. So, if you try to skip to the next section, it either does not do anything, or, it skips all of the way to the end.
Hi, nyskier - They skip to the next chapter just fine - thanks for this tip - I didn't know this was something to look for. I am learning so much from this experience. I am certain these are legit now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Sorry Karen, I didn't see your question until just now. I got this set a l-o-n-g time ago, previewed it once and decided I didn't like Zumba! LOL, I really didn't like dance workouts back then. I was heavier and clumsier. FF a bunch of years and now I love Zumba but almost forgot I had these! Your question stirred me into looking for them, and now I'm looking forward to trying the set again. What I recall was a very simple, inexpensive-looking set and live music, I think. Giselle Roque de Escobar (she of Crunch Cardio Salsa fame) was one of the instructors assisting Beto.

I can't remember more -- I really must try them again.
Hey, Lucky- Your older Zumbas sound great - I like Giselle! After you try them, please come back and let us know what you think. I am really loving Zumba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roleez View Post
Did your set come in individual cases for each one or were they all in one case?
Hi, Roleez - these disks all came in individual cases. They are clear plastic and kind of flimsy. Also the 4-pack cardboard slip cover fell apart right away, but my BF said that's not unusual and he's had that happen. I just glued it back together.

I'm sure now that these are legit and I am so grateful for all the great VF advice!

Thank you everyone!!!
Karen

Tags
bootleg, counterfeit, zumba