Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-11, 02:35 PM  
amoodygirl

Very Strange.....

I purchased a brand new, in the box Cathe Hi Step, which came with the High Step Circuit DVD. I believe the dvd is a bootleg. How is that possible? I was suspicious because the dvd label was not crystal clear/sharp as my same dvd I purchased from Cathe many years ago. I flipped it over and there are Chinese characters writtien on the inner rim.

Any clues how this happened?

Diane

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 02:40 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoodygirl View Post
I purchased a brand new, in the box Cathe Hi Step, which came with the High Step Circuit DVD. I believe the dvd is a bootleg. How is that possible? I was suspicious because the dvd label was not crystal clear/sharp as my same dvd I purchased from Cathe many years ago. I flipped it over and there are Chinese characters writtien on the inner rim.

Any clues how this happened?

Diane
Who did you buy it from, Diane?
Usia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 03:01 PM  
ADoll

One time I bought a game for the Wii at Walmart and when I opened it, it was a trial demo for AOL! It was also shrink wrapped. Luckily, Walmart took it back and I was able to exchange it for the real game.
ADoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 04:15 PM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

In our "how to spot bootlegs thread (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=120222) it says this (boldface part especially relevant):

Quote:
Printing on inner circle This should be the first thing you check. The title and serial numbers should be laser-engraved/written on the read/write surface in a circle, but unfortunately, this is also true of the more convincing pirated copies. BUT on the bootleg DVDs identified so far about 3/8 inch from the center ring, there is also a series of letters and numbers engraved in a very small, fancy font style that reads ifpi W400. This is an indication of a blank disc manufactured in China. According to SNM, **NO** legitimate Cathe DVD will have this stamp. The only exceptions to this rule are the Cathe DVDs that were packaged with The Step and The High Step (High Step Circuit, Body Fusion, Basic Step and Basic Step Plus Cardio and Weights). These *will* have the ifpi w400 stamped on them. However, these will also (without exception) have "Made In China" printed on the back side of the insert on the lower left side. These are the discs with which SNM made arrangements for an outsourced mass pressing to be packaged with the steps.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 04:34 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Mystery solved!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 04:59 PM  
amoodygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
Who did you buy it from, Diane?
I bought it from the local Job Lot - it was the only one there, the box was a bit dented but it was brand new, never opened. It was $25! I couldn't pass up this deal!

Reading Wendy's post, the inner circle matches what she posted but I can't find anywhere "made in China" on the insert.

I suppose this could be legit, based on what Wendy wrote, but still can't find all the earmarks that SNM says it should have.

Diane

Diane
Old 01-02-11, 09:01 AM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

Diane,

That post (and the info from Cathe.com) was written quite a while ago, so it's possible the exact specs on the Chinese-made DVDs for the high step packages have changed a bit since. If you're concerned, I'd e-mail Cathe.com or ask in their forum.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 10:58 AM  
amoodygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWendy View Post
Diane,

That post (and the info from Cathe.com) was written quite a while ago, so it's possible the exact specs on the Chinese-made DVDs for the high step packages have changed a bit since. If you're concerned, I'd e-mail Cathe.com or ask in their forum.
I was thinking the same exact thing, Wendy! I will head over to Cathe's site and send off an email. I'm thinking it is probably legit since the box was sealed. However, it really looks different in quality as far as the insert goes - which is what prompted me to ask the question!

Diane

Diane
Old 01-02-11, 11:08 AM  
KathAL79

Just a word of advice: Cathe.com is not known for responding to emails asking about the legitimacy of discs, although I'd love to be proven wrong on that. I emailed them in the past to confirm that I had a legal disc (not the one you had, though), and they never sent a peep back. I didn't even get a "Thanks for your email; we'll write you later." So I recommend posting on the forum, if you're registered for her site.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 11:19 PM  
videofit

If you only paid $25 and everything works fine, why worry?

Tags
bootleg, cathe, cathe friedrich