Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-10, 10:41 AM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

I noticed that my gym was going to offer a 6-week TRX course. Is this mainly for elite athletic types? I haven't done much strength training outside of Group Centergy (comparable to Les Mills Body Flow) and a few barre workouts. My main cardio has been Zumba and long walks, although I do take cycling class now and then. My main concern is that the class would be overwhelming considering my fitness level.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 10:00 AM  
naturallove

Week 4 Report

Well, I'm into Week 4 of bootcamp, and it's being taken up a notch! Formerly, our workouts were usually 30 minutes, because we'd warmup and then review exercises (which was still work!) Today's workout was more like 40-45 minutes, and all of our 'rests' were active, consisting of suspended planks! I am definitely feeling quite strong, though I have a long way to go. I am hoping to really increase my pushup/pullup strength and shoulder stability by the end of this 6 week session, though I suspect I'll need to put in a bit more time outside of class doing those things. (So I've added in a day of Fluidity, and I'm trying to get in kettlebell work at least twice a week that includes bodyweight exercises). I am really enjoying myself, and can't wait to see the changes in my flexibility, strength and power after doing this for at least 3 months total.
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 10:03 AM  
naturallove

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonH View Post
I noticed that my gym was going to offer a 6-week TRX course. Is this mainly for elite athletic types? I haven't done much strength training outside of Group Centergy (comparable to Les Mills Body Flow) and a few barre workouts. My main cardio has been Zumba and long walks, although I do take cycling class now and then. My main concern is that the class would be overwhelming considering my fitness level.
Sharon-I think you're more prepared for this work than you might think! TRX is all bodyweight work, which is what you've been doing with barre and Body Flow. You can make exercises easier or much harder just by changing the angle at which you're working, and any good instructor will help you get a workout that works for your body. I think you'll find that TRX is a fabulous complement to Barre and Body Flow because it works your core stability in a different way that will help you execute your preferred workouts in a more efficient way. Try it!
Old 01-27-10, 12:54 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Thanks again for your report. I hope that one day I will be able to do a TRX BootCamp.
Old 01-27-10, 06:39 PM  
Mos Nef

I came across this thread, because I just happened to sign up for a TRX class that I'll be taking this Friday. I'm extra excited to try it out, now!
Mos Nef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 10:17 PM  
Mos Nef

I took my first TRX class ever yesterday and boooooy am I feeling it in my upper body today. It's a nice soreness, where I can still move (for the most part...), but I know that my body got a new challenge. It was really cool to do exercises in planes of movement that you can't do in traditional workouts. I'm planning to take another TRX class as soon as my schedule permits!
Mos Nef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 10:53 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

A new fitness and personal training studio opened in our town a few months ago. Last weekend they had an open house which I did not attend but the local paper had a photo of one of the trainers using a TRX so I am going to give them a call to see if they have classes. If not I think I am going to do one or two sessions to get a feel for the exercises. The TRX I got for the holidays is still sitting in the box..so many fitness toys so little time.

Leslie
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 01:44 PM  
naturallove

Week 5 is not a game!

Oh my goodness--my instructor took it up a notch this week! I reported on Wednesday's workout one of my checkins:
Quote:
My form is definitely getting better (my instructor mentioned it) but it was tough. We did a few exercises together, but then we had to repeat 2 circuits 3 times each. For example, our first circuit consisted of (1-handle TRX)-1 arm row with torso rotation, oblique twists, and 1 armed chest press (like a standing pushup). The second circuit consisted of low rows, pushups (I opted for the non-suspended version!), hamstring curls, and biceps curls. Whew! Lots of great stretches at the end.
Today was no joke at all! We did towers (running up and down the steps at the fire house), back rows, chest presses, leg work, and tons of core work (planks, oblique crunches, mountain climbers, pikes). I did well on all of the exercises today except the pullups. I have lots of work to do on those! (And with this variation, your feet don't even leave the ground!) I thought I'd die when my instructor told us to to take the stairs again during our last round. It was just 4 or so flights, but still! It was a blast, and I can see how this stuff gets addictive. I was shocked, but I had the energy to teach two classes afterwards--body sculpt and zumba. (Of course, I made them do some partnerwork in the beginning. LOL) Next week is our last week of this session, but we just got an email about an intense bootcamp starting the following week where you take the classes up to 3 times a week. Hmm...I'm thinking about doing it but we'll see.

Tags
suspension, trx, trx suspension trainer