Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-16, 07:35 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Heart Rate Monitor

Does anyone have a particular monitor she/he likes? I have had two Polars in the past. Both have died. After a while the sensors on the chest strap stopped working, and despite best efforts, I couldn't resurrect them.

I don't want to spend a fortune, but I'm willing to pay about $100.

TIA!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-16, 08:03 AM  
Vantreesta

You can replace just the strap. My Polar F11 that I loved died a couple years ago (the watch drained new batteries in two days). They recommended tge Polar FT60 as a comparable replacement. I loved it initially but then started getting erratic readings. Finally emailed Polar CS again and they said even when you wash the strap as instructed, it usually needs to be replaced every 12-18 mos bc sweat eventually does them in or I could mail it in for evaluation/repair. I spent $20 on a replacement strap and love my FT60 again!!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-16, 08:08 AM  
Chomper

I have had straps that only last 6 months. It's a real pain, but I'm still on my first Polar. Probably on my 5th strap at this point. I don't use it much anymore.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-16, 05:35 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

I have one of those cheaper Polar's just heartrate and calorie counting. I really like mine, but I don' know what model it is, You can find some pretty good deals here. http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/...FUQbgQodOzYIZw

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-16, 02:29 PM  
slysam

I like the Polar H7 or H6 (I forget which I have). The one I have is both Bluetooth and the other signal (ANT?). It works with most HRM apps on my phone, with my 7 year old Polar watch and with most gym machines that read an HRM. I think new it is about $70 but when I need one I shop around and find one for about $50, once I got a pack of three for $60 on ebay. I machine wash mine (the transmitter snaps off) and it seems to last longer. The first one seemed to last three months, then I called their suppoet line and they suggested I machine wash it, gentle (no dryer) and it worked again.

I mostly use my Fitbit Surge now because I am lazy about putting on a chest strap. I don't think the optical wrist-worn monitors are as accurate yet, I always have a higher reading on them (not just the Fitbit's monitor, all that I have tried that use that technology). But I have learned to measure my exertion with the wrist-worn as it still has higher BPM for more exertion or more stress and lower for less. And strangely the calorie burn estimates are similar to what my Polar estimates. I do think the chest strap monitor seems more accurate though.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-16, 02:34 PM  
momofcha

When you say the "strap" goes- is the sensor that straps in need to be replaced also or just the elastic piece?

I had a HRM& upgraded & I have a terrible time getting the connection to last my entire workout. I usually have to stop it & start it again. Frustrating. Do I need to replace the strap & sensor?

Also, how do the Bluetooth straps work? With an app on your phone & no wrist piece?

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-16, 02:46 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
When you say the "strap" goes- is the sensor that straps in need to be replaced also or just the elastic piece?

I had a HRM& upgraded & I have a terrible time getting the connection to last my entire workout. I usually have to stop it & start it again. Frustrating. Do I need to replace the strap & sensor?

Also, how do the Bluetooth straps work? With an app on your phone & no wrist piece?
Not piece that snaps in, just the strap:

https://www.amazon.com/Polar-Soft-St...ds=Polar+strap

My husband has a Bluetooth one and I think it's similar, but just transmits to the phone via Bluetooth, the transmitter piece has the Bluetooth in it.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-16, 04:59 PM  
Dabbadooey

Do any of these devices track blood pressure?
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote