Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-15, 01:44 PM  
BamaTanya

Health tracking

I've been rather obsessive with weight, calorie, and activity tracking. Now that I'm within my healthy weight range and 5 little pounds from my supreme weight goal, I'm looking at other things to track. Obvious would be speed (I'm planning to add C25K) or strength gains. One of my many health books recommends tracking blood pressure.
Since I haven't had any heart health issues, should I expect to see any difference in blood pressure over time? Do you track blood pressure? If you do, do you take it at a regular time each day?
Are there other health statistics I should be watching beyond my regular physical checkups?
BamaTanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-15, 02:51 PM  
Chomper

Yes, blood pressure is always good to keep an eye on. Not sure you need to check it more than once a week if it's normal. Could use the free machines in pharmacies.

Resting heart rate is fun to check, and as you get more cardiovascularly fit, you'll see it drop. They say to check in the morning when you're still in bed, or, sit or lie down for 5-15 minutes before checking it.

If you have one of those fancy watches, like a Fitbit, etc, they track sleep. Supposed to be able to tell how long you slept, and how many hours were "restful" sleep. I don't know how reliable they are, but good sleep is very valuable.

For strength, I do paper workouts, and keep track of how heavy my weights are in a little notebook. Love seeing the numbers go up.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-15, 02:54 PM  
Candiceena

I have been interested in tracking my resting heart rate as I have made some major positive changes. Thank you for the reminder! Interesting thread for sure.
Old 10-26-15, 10:49 AM  
mspina

Body composition (muscle mass, fat mass) is more important than weight and would be a good one to add!

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-15, 12:58 PM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaTanya View Post
I've been rather obsessive with weight, calorie, and activity tracking. Now that I'm within my healthy weight range and 5 little pounds from my supreme weight goal, I'm looking at other things to track. Obvious would be speed (I'm planning to add C25K) or strength gains. One of my many health books recommends tracking blood pressure.
Since I haven't had any heart health issues, should I expect to see any difference in blood pressure over time? Do you track blood pressure? If you do, do you take it at a regular time each day?
Are there other health statistics I should be watching beyond my regular physical checkups?
I use to track a lot of things and have been lazy about tracking lately. I think most things have some benefit as long as you track often enough to know what your normal range is. My blood pressure varies a lot depending on circumstances. However, I have taken it enough I know my normal range and might be concerned if it started trending higher with no explanation. Same with my weight (varies a few pounds day to day, hour to hour, but I know my normal range), resting heart rate, etc.

I use to take my basal body temperature every morning since I was TTC (I sort of am still, but have kind of given up). That was probably the most informative number I tracked though at that time I also tracked weight, resting pulse (while taking my temperature), blood pressure sometimes, body fat %, measurements (more important than weight for me), and noted how I was feeling and some other things. I was mildly hypothyroid it turned out, and my medications resulted in an increase in my morning basal temperature, resting pulse and blood pressure. I was curious about whether these were lower than they should be and it turned out they were, a little. And when retested to see if the meds were helping, I expected improved numbers because of the change in my other stats (especially bbt) and it turned out to be true.

Right now, I am not really tracking anything (not even wearing my Fitbit which is strange for me). I think I just need a break, but will likely return to tracking some key stats as I think it is helpful to have that extra body awareness.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-15, 01:03 PM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post

If you have one of those fancy watches, like a Fitbit, etc, they track sleep. Supposed to be able to tell how long you slept, and how many hours were "restful" sleep. I don't know how reliable they are, but good sleep is very valuable.
I have one and sleep is the function I actually use least. However, it is useful. For the most part, they are tracking how long you lie still so you can fool it if you awake thinking but not moving. What I learned for the month I did use the sleep tracking is that I was either going to bed too late or getting up to early to even allow myself the potential of 8 hours of sleep. It reminded me to budget time for sleep a little better. It was informative to see a record of the time I actually spent in bed. I probably should track this again as I think I am backsliding on my improved sleep habits.

It might hint to a problem if you are not getting restful sleep and it turns out you are tossing and turning all night (but likely you know that if it is tha case?).
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-15, 01:50 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I have a tracker called Jawbone. I bought it a few weeks ago because my brother has one and recommended it. It tracks sleep and I use it for that now and then because it does remind me when to go to bed (I tend to be a nightowl). The most benefit I've seen so far is the food tracking. I'm A LOT more aware of what I'm eating now and have started taking steps to improve my diet. I also like the 'idle alert' because it reminds me to get out of my chair at work when I've been idle for an hour. I never thought I'd be a 'tracker' kind of person, but I'm really getting a lot out of it.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-15, 10:32 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspina View Post
Body composition (muscle mass, fat mass) is more important than weight and would be a good one to add!
Absolutely. More important than scale weight, for sure. The question is just what method to use. I have heard that dexa scans are currently the most accurate, but I think we still don't know enough to say what is really the most accurate. Dexa scans are also used for bone density tests, and do involve radiation. I am planning to schedule one eventually. Just want to get my doctors and dentist visits done first.

Often people post their results and photos on the fitness reddits. The results can be pretty surprising.

If you want to go the skin caliper test route, I have read that the key is to make sure it's the same person doing the measurements every time. Apparently, readings can vary wildly from person to person.

I have heard of vans that do hydrostatic testing, I think? Kind of like food vans, but with body composition testing. Or did I dream that up? Just need to know where they will be, and the test is pretty affordable.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-15, 01:39 PM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
Absolutely. More important than scale weight, for sure. The question is just what method to use. I have heard that dexa scans are currently the most accurate, but I think we still don't know enough to say what is really the most accurate. Dexa scans are also used for bone density tests, and do involve radiation. I am planning to schedule one eventually. Just want to get my doctors and dentist visits done first.

Often people post their results and photos on the fitness reddits. The results can be pretty surprising.

If you want to go the skin caliper test route, I have read that the key is to make sure it's the same person doing the measurements every time. Apparently, readings can vary wildly from person to person.

I have heard of vans that do hydrostatic testing, I think? Kind of like food vans, but with body composition testing. Or did I dream that up? Just need to know where they will be, and the test is pretty affordable.
You didn't dream it - I've seen those advertised too. I did a BodPod test last year which I read was similar in accuracy to the Dexa, but you don't get the SUPER detailed info that you get with the DEXA (such as bone density). It was easy and painless and cheap.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote