Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-17-15, 11:21 PM  
lorajc

Finally Learned a 3 Quarter Shimmy inBellydance

After complicating the heck out of this move for years, I finally saw Sadie break this down the other night on a practice and it clicked and i realized how much I've been over thinking this. However, that being said, I still need took on picking up speed but I even have to work on that a little bit with regular shimmies. I just love bellydance....really need to fit it in more often.....just not enough time for everything, but I'm going to start making time....I just got a great new Zoe Jake's long DVD that's like a live class.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-15, 08:25 AM  
TinierTina

Thumbs up Ahhhh, Wee got da bump! Gotta have dat bump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
After complicating the heck out of this move for years, I finally saw Sadie break this down the other night on a practice and it clicked and i realized how much I've been over thinking this. However, that being said, I still need took on picking up speed but I even have to work on that a little bit with regular shimmies. I just love bellydance....really need to fit it in more often.....just not enough time for everything, but I'm going to start making time....I just got a great new Zoe Jake's long DVD that's like a live class.
Expensive even for a download (had to use member discount). http://www.amazon.com/STEP-BY-STEP-B.../dp/B002VJVCO6 But in download form, she'd taught me with TIFT-ing in bellydance. No previous exposure except as an appreciative spectator.

When it came to the 3/4 shimmy (a.k.a. The Moroccan Shimmy) I picked it up in a live class, justlikethat, after trying to decipher another teacher, Gillian Cofsky's cryptic instructions off and on for about a year. Gillian, you give great bellyrobics, but you teach best, mostly the hybrid things!

Secret is you start the shimmy with a side-hip thrust (with or without traveling and/or layering) not unlike 80's-era American pop dance "bamming" or "bumping" ...

Although you seem preternaturally talented at learning dance by video, lorajc, I think generally live lessons are still mostly for the tribal fusion folks.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-15, 09:11 AM  
TinierTina

To be Fair though, Even after Lessons it Hadn't Stuck ...

The 3/4 shimmy was the most elusive thing:

Without faster and varying-speed practice ... it gets lost ...

It had taken 8 months for it to be found again.

Even this teacher says the speed cannot be unbundled from wherever she tells you, that you should be moving your hips:

Tiazza teaches 3/4 Shimmy (Moroccan shimmy)

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
Old 06-19-15, 08:20 AM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

yay!!!!

congratulations

isn't it awesome when a move FINALLY clicks?
Old 06-19-15, 02:37 PM  
slysam

I learned belly dance from years of live classes in different styles - American "cabaret", modern Egyptian, Tribal Fusion, a little Turkish style. I am not taking classes anymore, though I do currently perform. I find most moves in belly dance are made more difficult by us over complicating them. To some extent it is also a coordination thing, but once a movement pattern is in our muscle memory it becomes easy.

There are a lot of different 3/4 shimmies and I think that is what actually confused me. At one point I was taking classes from 3 teachers who all performed and taught a similar style. Yet their instruction on a move they called "The Egyptian Walk" (often referred to as a Hagala walk) was literally three similar but different movement patterns. My little brain struggled to reconcile this move for ages. Than finally I just decided to do it in the way that felt right to me. I wonder if you might be getting confused when studying different instructors video because every one really does it slightly different. There is not really any one standard. And the thing is, when I learned and even performed the three teachers routines including this move, at full speed they really don't notice whether my version is slightly different (if it even is different).

For me the 3/4 shimmy the YouTube instructor refers to as a "Moroccan shimmy" is like drawing an "L" with each hip in alternation. When I was learning it, I took a workshop with Aziza and she had us do a drill where we draw each letter of the alphabet using different parts of our body. It was when we were doing this on one hip and got to "L" that I realized (seeing others in the class) that it was like half of the 3/4 shimmy I was working on learning.

One of the great things about learning belly dance (especially learning aspects of other dancer's style) is that it is a great workout for the brain and the body-mind connection. Congrats!
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-15, 02:58 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by slysam View Post
I learned belly dance from years of live classes in different styles - American "cabaret", modern Egyptian, Tribal Fusion, a little Turkish style. I am not taking classes anymore, though I do currently perform. I find most moves in belly dance are made more difficult by us over complicating them. To some extent it is also a coordination thing, but once a movement pattern is in our muscle memory it becomes easy.

There are a lot of different 3/4 shimmies and I think that is what actually confused me. At one point I was taking classes from 3 teachers who all performed and taught a similar style. Yet their instruction on a move they called "The Egyptian Walk" (often referred to as a Hagala walk) was literally three similar but different movement patterns. My little brain struggled to reconcile this move for ages. Than finally I just decided to do it in the way that felt right to me. I wonder if you might be getting confused when studying different instructors video because every one really does it slightly different. There is not really any one standard. And the thing is, when I learned and even performed the three teachers routines including this move, at full speed they really don't notice whether my version is slightly different (if it even is different)
Obsessing over one move works at cross-purposes to what I need to get from dance (or, rather, dance-exercise) ...

But, ya know, while we're still on the subject, another of those challenging moves is: Traveling Hip Lifts (particularly if layered; and let's say you throw in other bells and whistles like finger cymbals, etc. ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slysam View Post
One of the great things about learning belly dance (especially learning aspects of other dancer's style) is that it is a great workout for the brain and the body-mind connection. Congrats!
Oh, yeah, tell me about it! I had to cut down, and then nearly cut out (if we're talking rich culture, rich history and mind-body/spiritual challenge) yoga ... partially in its place, I got to studying Amir Sofi's Middle Eastern Rhythms' CD, and got a book on Bellydance as a one-off at Namasté Bookshop ... it's about immersion ... TOTAL immersion ...

-Bettina