Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-12, 08:44 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
Of course you can!

I was going to add to my earlier post, speaking of Jillian Michaels...I read that 30 Day Shred is the top selling exercise DVD of all time. As popular as it is, I think pirating is minimal on this, because what's the point? It was originally less than $20, is now around $10, readily available in stores, and you don't have to order and wait for it for weeks (like ordering from the Beachbody site).
I am sure if you looked hard enough you could download this free from Utorrent or something, but what's the point, when you know you can get an uncorrupted pristine copy so easily and cheaply?
They also showed it on Exercise TV On Demand for ages, so I bet a lot of people have it DVRed or taped.

Jillian's clearly trying to get a bite of the Beachbody market with the Body Revolution set. It's like the difference between Toyota and Lexus: same company, but the price and "frills" are different.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-12, 09:04 AM  
hotncmom

Isn't it weird how the infomercial market seems to be oblivious (or have contempt for) to the wealth of exercise DVD's available in other channels (stores/websites like Total Fitness DVD's)? I know people who give me kind of weird looks when I mention I work out to DVD's at home. I get the feeling people think of that as easy or not real exercise because it's not done in a gym. But these same people see an infomercial for P90X or Insanity and they have respect for that. You would think that the home exerciser would be getting more respect nowadays than back when it was just Richard Simmons and Jane Fonda, but it's like some people think that you're either doing Jane Fonda (ha ha) or P90X (wow!). I don't think commercials for other systems like BBL are doing us any favors because they really downplay the difficulty...BBL is not what I would consider a "beginner" workout, but it is certainly played up as a girly workout for vanity. By the same token, P90X and Insanity are advanced, but are marketed toward the overweight and out of shape who are very likely to hurt themselves by trying to push through when they should be modifying if doing the workout at all. I have a male friend who hurt his rotator cuff muscles while doing P90X, but didn't think it was any big deal and kept on pushing because his buddies told him it wasn't a big deal.

I have a relative who does Gilad on TV (she DVR's it), but doesn't own any DVD's. I loaned her 30 Day Shred, Tonique Premier, and Montenegro Method Endurance. She did try them all and said they were harder than the workouts she had been doing (much harder). She also hurt herself trying to be superwoman and push through Tonique.

Don't get me started on how much disrespect I have felt from group fitness instructors if I happen to mention I work out at home to DVD's. It's like they have a blind spot and think you can't get into shape on your own.

Here on VF I feel sometimes like I am on a different planet because you guys are the only ones who know about the DVD variety available. IRL I recently met a woman who was doing TA Mat, and she didn't even know that Meta was out. I doubt she had heard of PDS either. I started mentioning other barre-style workouts and she had no knowledge of those either. It's baffling.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-12, 09:25 AM  
casey

I have never met someone IRL who does exercise videos like me. I only wo at home. When my DH expanded our home, he asked me what I thought to do with our old master bedroom. Of course, it's now a workout room with a treadmill, elliptical and tons of workout videos with weights and a bow flex. I'm 49 years old and I can run for miles and lift heavy and I only wo to videos. But if someone comes over and sees my bookshelve full to the max with wo DVDs they get a dumbfounded look on their face.

The closest I've gotten to someone doing exercise videos IRL is my DD's Swimteam doing P90x ab ripper wo as part of their dryland training. They said it was killer. (her hs club team, not college team).
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-12, 03:45 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

When I posted on Facebook about last week's NYT article on fitness DVDs, a friend of mine was shocked that I work out at home. She thought that was only for handicapped people and shut-ins. She had no idea about DVDS. Duh!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-12, 03:52 PM  
hotncmom

Quote:
She thought that was only for handicapped people and shut-ins.
Seriously? Wow, that's amazing. People have absolutely no idea what's out there. Like I said, even fitness instructors have been dismissive when I tried to talk about workouts with them and they found out I "only" do DVD's.

I post stuff on Facebook all the time about workout instructors I like (for instance, I posted the link to Sadie Nardini's free download), and I get no response. I also post health and fitness videos and articles and no one ever even "likes" them Thank God I found VF!
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-12, 07:41 AM  
Eibhinn

I'm going to express a very unpopular opinion here - but I sometimes download workouts via torrent. I do think creative people and manufacturers should be compensated for the work they do, so I treat torrent sites like I do the library. If there is a workout I am thinking of getting and it is expensive and/or they charge crazy shipping costs, there are no clips available or I'm just not sure about the purchase (and I can't get it from the actual library) I will occasionally download a workout to try it before buying it. If I don't like it, I delete it and move on, if I do like it, I delete it and buy my own copy. I have purchased A LOT of workouts (as well as books and albums) after having downloaded a "trial" copy. I don't feel guilty and I don't feel like I'm a thief. I know lots of people out there download with no plans to every buy, and think that there are lots of people out there who compulsively download piles of stuff without ever using any of it just because it's free. File-sharing is problematic and a difficult thing to wrap your head around, but I don't think everyone doing it is an unrepentant jerk. I think there are more people out there like me than manufacturers care to admit.

Maybe I'm just making excuses, but while there are people out there who would never ever consider actually paying for Beachbody products, I suspect there are many others who would buy instead of download if they could actually view decent-length clips of the actual workout with actual music and instruction to make an informed decision instead of only having access to hard-sell infomercial clips.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-12, 08:41 AM  
Blackadar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
When I posted on Facebook about last week's NYT article on fitness DVDs, a friend of mine was shocked that I work out at home. She thought that was only for handicapped people and shut-ins. She had no idea about DVDS. Duh!
It's even worse as a guys. Guys just don't believe you can work out at home - either you need a gym, a rink, a court, a field or a track to work out. With the minor exception of P90X, if it's not miles of roadwork (or treadmill) and grunting to heavy weights, it's not "working out" to many guys. My DVDs just aren't manly enough.

Since I only work out at home (I'm getting in my roadwork and my lifting, but I'm also doing DVDs a lot), I tend to get discounted as being any kind of an athlete or in good shape. But that's their problem and not mine. I don't know too many guys over 40 who can run a 5k in less than 30 minutes, bench close to 200 pounds, hike 10 miles and attend a tabata/plyo/spinning class and survive. So it doesn't bother me a bit. I'm not the most in-shape guy my age and never will be, but I'm starting to get a bit more than just "better than average".

Of courses, now that I've lost close to 70 pounds, some guys starting to pay attention. The chest is still 48", but the waist ain't 44" anymore.

Tags
beachbody, bootleg, bootlegs, counterfeit, piracy