Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-11, 06:24 AM  
Fit Kitty

What would you do?

It's not a fitness DVD but my BF won an auction on eBay for a DVD and when he received it, it was an obvious bootleg. Upon further investigation, he found out this particular program was only ever distributed on VHS and laser disk, never on DVD. He contacted the seller through eBay to inquire why the DVD was a DVD-R, and not a DVD as advertised (not making any accusations of bootleg), but the seller hasn't responded. He sent a second message to the seller and still no response. At this point, my BF wants to do the right thing and "report the item". What exactly happens when you "report an item"? Will he automatically get his money back? Must he return the item? He doesn't feel comfortable mailing a bootleg DVD as he understands it's illegal to do so. I get the impression he doesn't even want to watch it now that he knows it's a bootleg.

Should he also file a Paypal dispute? Neither of us have ever dealt with this before so we're not sure what to do.

What would you do?

Thanks!
Karen
Fit Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 07:26 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I don't know the answers, but you might want to do a search on bootleg. May be in the discussion somebody mentioned the outcome of their complaint.... and how to go about it.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 10:51 AM  
Kyra

I don't know the answer, either. I would contact eBay; believe it or not (ha!) they have a policy against selling bootlegs on the site. I started to look into it when an auction I'd bid on was closed right after I made a purchase on suspicion the seller might be a bootlegger. However when I got the product (which was a BeachBody product), it was clearly either original or the most exceptional bootleg ever, so I never had reason to follow through.

You may start out with reporting that the item is not as described... I think.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 11:25 AM  
edensmom

I had to file a claim through e-bay before when a seller accepted payment on an item then dropped off the face of the earth, never sending my item but following through on other sales...I got my money back after about 30 days. The require you to contact the seller first anyway to try to work it out yourself...I urge you to go to the Resolution center and read up. You can file your claim through either ebay OR paypal. I used ebay as I said and it worked out in my favor.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 03:38 PM  
donnadc

I received a dvd-r once that was an obvious bootleg-the title was even spelled wrong!
I contacted the seller and he made a few excuses and then he returned my check by mail.
I had contacted ebay that I thought he was selling copied/bootleg dvds and I don't remember that they ever got back with me.
I did have to send the dvd back to the guy to get my check back. He stopped selling, or changed his seller id after that.

Good luck with it. It's aggravating when people are dishonest.
donnadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 06:09 AM  
Fit Kitty

Thanks for all your responses. My BF finally got a response from the seller that said the program was never released on DVD - isn't that admitting it's a bootleg? Although the seller's listing said no refunds, he offered to refund BF's money upon return of the DVD so I think that's what he'll do. And he's gonig to report the item - because the guy is still selling them! Thanks again for all your advice - much appreciated!

Karen
Fit Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bootleg, bootlegs, counterfeit, ebay