Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-01-05, 05:08 PM  
sidse

Talking Just Joyce series overview (length, exercises etc.)

The following are snippets of information that I've seen on the Ya Ya board and here, and I've added a few comments in italic regarding subbing for other exercises to suit my needs, and how to handle being time crunched, and still keep it a two day split (Upper and Lower body).

Just Butt (21 min)
You do 3 rounds of various mostly butt oriented exercises. A round concists of 12 exercises. If you’re time crunched, stop after the first or second round.

1)lying lower side circle 1st leg
2) Lying butt lift
3)lying lower side circle 2nd leg
4)lying floor scissors
5)front to back 1st leg(looks like a pilates move. I also saw this move in Firm Better body and buns floorwork. Where you swing your leg front to back)
6)Lying bicycle
7)front to back 2nd leg
8)alternate and together butt lift
9)Back leg kick up and to the side 1st leg
10 back leg kick up and to the side 2nd leg
11)kneeling back leg extension 1st leg
12)kneeling back leg extension 2nd leg

rest 15 seconds and repeat this 2 more times.

I’ll sub exercise 6 with inner thigh work (supine, opening and closing legs).

Just Arms (30 min)
You do 4 rounds of giant sets (3 exercises) for biceps, shoulders, triceps. Joyce uses the full pyramid system 12/10/8/10/12 reps, then move on to the next three exercises, and so on. If you’re time crunched, push skip when she’s finished with the heaviest weight. That way you’ll jump to the start of the next round, doing pyramid up only in all 4 rounds.

simultaneous Bicep curl
Side delt raise
double arm kickback

Concentration bicep curl
Upright row
Single arm french press

Hammer curl
Pee wee lateral
double arm french press

aternating bicep curl
Alternating shoulder press
alternating tricep kickback

Perhaps I’ll sub the simultaneous bicep curls with W presses (Slim Series style), and do the single arm french presses in supine position (a bell in each hand). Upright row will be subbed with L-flyes (a bell in each hand). Pee wee lateral will be subbed with Exercise 4 from this link: http://familydoctor.org/265.xml My shoulders will like this much more!

Just Bra Roll and Boobs (25 min)
You super duper giant set for chest/back using the full pyramid system 12/10/8/10/12 reps. If you’re time crunched, stop after 3 rounds (so you pyramid up only).

1)Seated circular brall roll and boob lifter(this exercise is similiar to what Marthe does in Bone builder instead of side delt lifts)
2)Standing bent lateral
3)STanding back lateral(similiar to Firm rhomboid pinch)
4)Seated bent lateral
5)Chest fly
6)Chest press
7)cross bench pull overs
8)seated bent lateral
9)double arm reverse row
10)1 arm row

This is just 1 giant set of 10 exercises. You repeat this 4 more times using the true pyramid system!

I think I’ll sub exercise 5 with pushups. That way I’ll get in 52 pushups during the course of the workout, and my shoulders don’t like chest flyes anyway.

Just thighs (34 min)
You super duper giant set for thighs using the full pyramid system 12/10/8/10/12 reps. There are 5 rounds (1 for each step in the pyramid) concisting of 8 exercises before you get a 15 second rest. All the standing leg work are squat variations. The 8 exercises are performed with or without dumbbells. If no dumbbells are required, 15 reps are performed. If you’re time crunched, stop after 3 rounds (so you pyramid up only).

1)Standing leg raises front and side (no bells)
2)Plie squat
3)Standing leg extension front (leg stays up, extend from knee, no bells)
4)Hack squat (bells behind back)
5)Seated simultaneous leg extensions w/bell between feet (no bells)
6)Squat
7)Supine single leg sweep (lift leg until perpendicular to ceiling, no bells)
8)Lying simultaneous leg curls w/bell between feet

This is just 1 giant set of 8 exercises. You repeat this 4 more times using the true pyramid system!

I think I’ll perhaps sub exercise 3 with quick shallow unweighted lunges in stationary position, and exercise 7 with unweighted tall box leg presses. If Joyce goes too fast for leg presses, I’ll stay on top of the tall box, dipping a leg slightly down behind the tall box 15 times, letting the stationary leg do a static contraction.

ETA:
One could alternate full versions and time crunched versions of the titles, thus maintaining a two-day split and shorter workout time, but still reaping the benefits of doing the full pyramid this way:

Day 1: Just Arms (full) + Just Bra-Roll (time crunch)
Day 2: Just Thighs (full) + Just Butt (time chrunch)

the next two days are REVERSE:

Day 3: Just Arms (time crunch) + Just Bra-Roll (full)
Day 4: Just Thighs (time crunch) + Just Butt (full)

Day 5: See Day 1
Day 6: See Day 2

The next week I would start out working the lower body instead of upper body, keeping upper and lower body in balance.

So I alternate full and time crunch versions of the titles, thus maintaining a two-day split and shorter workout time, but still reaping the benefits of doing the full pyramid.
Old 04-01-05, 05:19 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

thanks for posting the breakdowns, I hope you'll add it to the reviews area. Also, you can always do what I did last summer - 5 rounds of just butt - since I was doing 5 rounds of everything else!!! My back looked great when I rotated these. Terrie
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-05, 05:43 PM  
sidse

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventmom
thanks for posting the breakdowns, I hope you'll add it to the reviews area.
Done deal!
Old 04-01-05, 05:54 PM  
Mandy

Terrie,
Great idea about doing 5 rounds of Just Butt! Thanks
Old 04-01-05, 10:06 PM  
Rhae
Exchange Moderator

Sidse, thank you, thank you, thank you for doing this! I spent a couple hours last week searching for this information and reviews and finally bought the workouts without a lot of information. I'll still print the thread so I have the information ready! Thanks again !
Old 04-02-05, 08:22 AM  
pricek

I've never done any of Joyce's workouts, but I visited her website(thanks to this thread) and they look very interesting. Are they really effective? Which ones are the best? There are sooo...many to choose from. The cellulite zappers really caught my attention since my thighs are my problem area. So, what do you think ladies? Thanks in advance and have a wonderful weekend!!
pricek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-05, 01:04 PM  
FitterChick

Question

Do you need the bench to do the Just Bra-Roll-Boobs DVD?
FitterChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-05, 01:40 PM  
sidse

FitterChick, I use my step bench (the Reebok one) with two risers in each side. If Joyce wants to do incline anything (like supine chest presses), I remove a riser from one end. It's sturdy and works like a weight bench, it's just not as tall.
Old 04-02-05, 04:25 PM  
Fitstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitterChick
Do you need the bench to do the Just Bra-Roll-Boobs DVD?
I dont think that you necessarily need a bench, you could do these exercises on the floor if you don't have a bench. I use my step as a bench for all of my strength workouts.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-05, 04:35 PM  
judy5150

I did Bra Roll last week and used my stability ball instead of my bench.

Tags
joyce vedral, pee wee lateral