Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-11-21, 02:18 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Joyce Non Stop Upper + fitprime dancey moves
sort of an odd pairing!

ebianco - sitting at home for work today and glad I can do this! I wish we'd keep doing zoom meetings, driving in for a 30-90 minute annoys me.

hi buzzer!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-21, 03:12 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,

Happy Veterans Day!

Today was an arm day and it was a toughie. I did a warm up and light cardio (10 minutes total) then EPIC III Powerful Push and Pull, a total upper body workout (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE5F...aCqjdn&index=3). This one was a total winner. The first half of the workout was back and chest, then went into shoulders, triceps, and biceps, and I added abs and a stretch for a total 55 minute workout. The structure was 40 seconds on, 20 seconds off. Each exercise was repeated once, and every fifth exercise (not repeated) was a different pushup variation. The pushups really gave the workout a metabolic feel which I really liked. I used 20# for one arm rows, 35# for rows using both arms, 15#, 12#, 10#, and 8# for the rest of the exercises. My only quibble was the music was a little strange at first, but then I got into it! I am saving this workout as a favorite for sure. It is an excellent upper body workout. Then I tacked on 5 minutes of abs and stretch.

PS my legs are surprisingly okay after yesterday! They are lightly sore but not too bad. I went out for a long walk with the dogs after my workout, weather is gorgeous today!

Edited for Friday:

Happy Friday! Today I did legs with a quad focus, and it was a toughie too. I did the warm up from Firm Volume 2 (I'm just going to cycle through all of them, why not!) then EPIC III Quivering Quads (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNqJ...JFgH7W&index=3) and it was a very thorough workout for the lower body especially the quads of course. She has this move that requires you to put your heels on a yoga block, which for me makes it on my real tippy toes, and do squats, so a lot like barre work. In fact, a lot of the workout was bodyweight only which I liked and also meant I didn't bother trying to add on any barre myself. My legs WERE quivering for most of the workout!!! Then I did an extended stretch with Callanetics or a total 60 minute workout.

Tomorrow is some kind of Cathe total body workout, I'll have to gauge my energy to see how I feel!

Eventmom Yeah glad you were able to telework!

Buzzer waves!
Old 11-13-21, 06:44 AM  
Buzzer

Group Kick (the same one, it doesn't have a title)... DONE!
Essentrics arms abs and waist toner.. DONE!
Essentrics ab flattening and waist shaping... DONE!

The group kick is a group fitness training workout I got a few years ago from Goodwill. I got, I think, 4 or 5 of them, and they are amazing! I love them. There's two DVD's, one with just the music for teaching the class, the other is three people doing the workout and kinda teaching you how to do it (without stopping to teach you, just doing some cues throughout they want you to use) but doing the whole class. The energy is fun, and they are really pandering to the instructors to create a fun class. It reminds me of some of the Les Mills stuff. I know I used to find some Les Mills training classes on line, I don't remember if I downloaded them and saved them. They were good, but a lot of whooping. These aren't whooping workouts! They are really good and I'm glad I went back to them!

I did two essentrics workouts off different DVD's. I am really getting into how they stretch the abs, and I love it! I was sore the first few times I did essentrics, but now I wake up day 2 and it isn't too bad. A little soreness if I try to find it, but overall I really like the stretch. Sahra is good at cuing, unlike her mother, and I am warming up to her!

I didn't realize I was two days behind! We have been hitting school a bit harder. She has a paper due this Wednesday, and I have learned that if we get behind on that we have trouble catching up. So I am making her work on it today too since yesterday she worked on it for probably 90 minutes and didn't really get anywhere on it. Frustrating for both of us!

I am really proud of her though. She is doing a really awesome job in this class. She had never written a paper, and now she is writing 3 good paragraphs! I love it.

It has been so windy here. I wanted to get my christmas lights up last weekend, but had trouble finding them. So I gave up. Ever since, it's been so windy! LB and I, on our way home from violin on Thursday, stopped and picked up someones trash cans that were in the middle of our road, then LB said "there's something rainbow over there!" so we stopped, she got out and rescued someones rainbow spinner thing that they have hanging on their front deck. We went to their house and she tucked it under an outdoor chair to be safe from the wind. As she was heading to the car, there was this super loud noise. LB covered her ears and stopped, then looked up and pointed and yelled "WHOA!" I looked out... luckily I was at the perfect angle to see the bottom of a fighter jet flying so low over the houses that I could see every detail of the undercarriage!! It was so cool!! So loud too. I'm glad LB was outside to see that. Three more came over, not near as low. It was so cool.

Eventmom: The group kicks aren't in person.... I don't know if I could participate in a group fitness class anymore! I could lead one, but not be in one. I'm too used to working out on my own anymore! I have a friend asking me to go lift with her, and I am reluctant. I have had workout partners (which I told her I can't do, I would just go randomly with her) and it was fun, but I didn't workout near as hard. I was at an age where that was OK though. I just like my routine now.

Ebianco: Every time I read your check in I think, "I want to do that workout!" I will have to start keeping track of your workouts and do them sometime! I don't know why I want to do a workout called "quivering quads". I don't even like working my legs and just do it because I know it's necessary!

My shoulder won't let me do side planks either! I either skip them or do a regular plank if I have the energy for it. Sometimes it doesn't like pushups, but for the most part it's OK with them. Part of me is bummed about the side planks, because I would love to do them when they are in a workout, but the other part of me is really happy because I hate them anyhow!

So I think I told you guys we are going to the house up the street for Thanksgiving. I am even more grateful now that we are because my sister who sometimes is loud and says inappropriate things is still at it. I sent them a copy of LB's paper (it was hysterical!) and she came back with some comments that were political in nature and kinda digging at the paper. I told her "I think it's hysterical and I am proud of her. She's only 4th grade writing like that." and then she stopped being a b**ch. So I am glad to avoid her until she gets out of this mood!!! Hopefully she's better by Christmas.... we'll see...
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-21, 03:01 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Happy Saturday! I felt great waking up today, definitely still a little sore (yesterday's leg workout seemed to hit my calves the most) and I'm having a big fancy dinner so I wanted to make sure to get in a big workout! Compared to last saturday when I felt like I could barely drag myself out of bed, I feel like my stamina has already improved. So today was Cathe Fit Split the Push and Pull workouts together, which was about 60 minutes, then I added 10 Minute Solution Pilates on the Ball the abs and stretch chapters for an overall 80 minute workout. Actually the Fit Split Push and Pull workouts worked really well today because they were mostly upper body focused, although the work she did do for the lower body burned out my quads (push) and hamstrings (pull) for sure. There were no abs or even bonus abs on the DVD so I put in the 10MS pilates on the ball and it was pretty good!

Eventmom waves!

Buzzer The essentrics workouts sound great!

I used to love side planks too, they felt so GOOD! But wow I cannot do them now. I can still do them on my left side, and sometimes I just tilt my torso to my right side (right shoulder is the bad one) but keep both hands on the floor when they cycle through the side planks in my Pure Barre workouts. But mostly I just avoid them now. In fact I used to love all these plank moves and now I'm like eh my shoulder says no thanks LOL.

Well if you do check out any Caroline workouts, and since you like working upper better, I would recommend starting with that Powerful Push and Pull! I did like the Quivering Quad workout too.

Wow I'm glad you can be spared from your snarky sister at Thanksgiving! I'm sure LB's paper was hysterical, and of course it wouldn't have been purposefully political.
Old 11-14-21, 01:03 PM  
Buzzer

Firm Volume 2... kinda DONE!
Group kick Get Fierce... DONE!

I, for some reason, decided volume 2 sounded good yesterday. I pulled it out, knowing full well that lots of cardio makes me start to cough. But, I convinced myself that it is mostly weights, and I love that. So I did it. I paused so many times!!! It was fun though! I used 12's as my heaviest, however for back rows and overhead 1 weight tricep presses, I used a 20. It felt so good. I also used 8's as my light weight, so I really worked it! I did kinda cheat my range of motion on a lot of the leg parts, because my legs were still kinda not wanting to do anything. I did it all though, and it was great!

Today I grabbed another group kick, this time "Get Fierce." It was fun! Lots of arms, and lots of kicks. I will feel that tomorrow, in a good way! I remember reading that kickboxing is good for your core, so I am hoping to do something about that too since it's my biggest trouble spot.

Last night we went to a get together... once again, thinking it was just a few families, and walked into the get together and it was a party. About 5 or 6 families. LOTS of kids! It was fun, however we left about 10pm instead of midnight. I was pooped. Even DH came with me, and he had fun. I told him I have fallen into a group that likes to have parties, and he said that was fine and he enjoyed them. So that's a win! DH used to love parties (not crazy ones, just get togethers like this) but he is so serious anymore. I am surprised he enjoys himself.

We got christmas lights up, and will finish putting them up today. DH had the plumber over yesterday to rough in plumbing, and today he has an electrician over. Getting stuff done! Apparently our trusses are due this week, so hopefully we will get them on soon!!! Stuff is happening!!

Ebianco: I am very happy to be away from my sister! She gets in the phases... she is really nice and fun, then something happens or a switch gets flipped and she is really nuts. I guess it's better than all nuts like my other sister, but it's annoying. I didn't talk to her for a long time because of it, however since LB has been born we go there more. I am always careful what I say just in case! When she's fun, she's fun though. I'm glad I have my one sister that's always steady though.

It's my right side too I can't do side planks on either! My left rotator cuff was injured once, and that side feels great. It's my right side that is giving me trouble now! If I do planks, I do them on my elbows anymore. No more straight arm planks for me! Side planks are completely out. Sometimes I forget and do a side plank on my left, then move to the right and am annoyed. I do what I can though.
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 11-14-21, 02:59 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone!

Today I finished my workout week with a pretty active warm up with Simone de la Rue Rebounding workout the warm up through the first dance (15 minutes), then Caroline HIIT (this oneL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WGW...index=2&t=366s) then Callanetics extended stretch (15 minutes) for an overall 60 minute workout. I was sweating bullets with this HIIT! I liked the structure of this. It was 20 seconds on/10 seconds off and she grouped two exercises together (in many cases one was plank style or mat and one was standing, like a Tonique-style down dog knee-in into a mini handstand then plyo lunges). Each exercise pair is done 4x then you move on to another pair, for 7 pairs altogether with no repeats. There was no longer break between each pair so it was 20/10 the whole way through, which was tough! But I liked that some of the work was abs and non impact which balanced out with the burpees and such that she finished with! Then a nice long stretch.

Eventmom waves!

Buzzer I haven't done Firm Volume 2 in entirety in a long time, but it is mostly weights isn't it? I'm glad it worked well for you! I remember the mat work on Volume 2 is almost as tough as Volume 1.

It sounds like it was a fun party! My dinner date was great, I got home around 10 pm but it felt like midnight I was so pooped too

Yes, the sister I am estranged with was also very fun at times, but what can you do. I have a great relationship with my other siblings so I'm just trying to focus on that or I get sad and angry.

Ugh my right shoulder, so you know!! I seem to do okay with planks or elbow planks right now, although my shoulder prefers the full arm planks. Like you said, I just do what I can, or else I get angry about that too!
Old 11-15-21, 11:26 AM  
Buzzer

Yoga X from P90X... DONE!

I love this yoga! I can't figure out where I put all my yogas though. I need to look through and find them.

I didn't do the whole thing, I skip the frogs, another I don't remember but he holds forever and I don't like (locust?), and the yoga belly 7. Overall it was still a little over an hour, but I always feel so good after this one. So stretched! I used yoga blocks and it really helped. I used to be able to do yoga without blocks, but either I'm out of practice or my muscles are getting tighter because the blocks help so much. This yoga sure is a lot of legs and leg stretches though! Not as much for the upper body. I guess that's what yoga is though.

I loved it! I still laugh at his jokes. Especially his "I got shot. In the butt-tocks". I don't know why that one cracks me up so much. I think it's because it's so out of place, he is doing a voice that's funny, and I have no clue where the quote is from but he does it like we all know. I love it.

Yesterday I was looking through bins for the christmas lights and could not find ANY. I know we have more, and we don't even have that big of a house! Where did they go? I know I'll find them this summer or something, but for now, I only have part of my normal amount of lights up and I need a lot more! So Big Lots has 7 in stock near the house, and 12 at the one a little further away, so I might so hit two Big Lots stores and get their lights!!!

I was so frustrated yesterday with all the stuff we have that is useful, but if we need it, we won't think to look in the shed for it. Or in this certain bin, or in the trailer. So much painting supplies DH bought when he sold his house 10 years ago, all new. Will we use it? no. Will we look for it if we need it? again, no. Is it too new and nice to throw away? yes. So what do I do with it? ugh.

I did throw a few things away (about an outdoor garbage bag full) so that felt good. Today I went through all the stuff I"m saving in my workout room like I'm gonna sell it to one of the resales stores, and I am just donating it. I'm tired of it all!!!

I felt like I got nothing done yesterday though. I worked out, then DH had a helper yesterday, so I made breakfast for 3 grown men and LB. Lots of pancakes and bacon. It took easily 45 minutes by the time all was said and done. I went to Home Depot for lights, they didn't have any. Went 15 minutes to another Home Depot. THEY didn't have any that I needed. So I decided to go to Taco Bell and get DH and his helpers lunch.... I waited in the drive through for 30 minutes. No joke. I timed it. I always thought Taco Bell was busy becuase the line is always long. Nope. They are just super duper slow!!! I was annoyed. Meanwhile the burger king line was maybe 2 cars and they'd be gone in a few minutes. I chose wrong.

So after that, I got home, cleaned out a few bins, looked for the lights, and then it was time to go to this, what I call "Church Howdy Howdy meeting" to introduce us to the church DH wants to go to and introduce all the people that work there. I thought it would be an hour, so I told LB she could stay home with her BFF.

Nope. They start talking about dinner. I'm all "what?" I ask DH "how long is this supposed to be???" he says "a couple hours." WHAT? He didn't tell me that! I thought an hour!!! So LB was supposed to go up to her BFF's house and the Dad was going to watch them until we got home. I get a text from the Mom that the Dad is going to take the son to something about 30 minutes away, so he is going to pick up BFF in about 1/2 hour. WHAT??? So LB had some time with BFF, but then she was alone for about an hour. It worked out, because she has an Ipad at home and she could text and I face timed her (that's the video one, right? Because that's what I did). So she wasn't totally alone. Plus the two big dogs. But still, to go from being gone an hour to several (it ended up being THREE), to LB supposed to be watched by BFF's Dad to "never mind." I was not feeling very settled about last night.

it all worked out, but I felt like I was texting a lot during the howdy howdy meeting!!

Ebianco: I'm Ok with planks with straight arms, but sometimes pushups don't do it for me. Sometimes they are OK. I like bent arm planks though. I don't know why, maybe they are easier for me?

I never realized how many influencers there are for fitness! I never checked though either. vol 2 is mostly weights, but there is a TON of squats. Your heart rate definitely still gets up there! I forgot the mat part was so tough. HA! I have been doing these workouts for years... like 30... and I still forget parts of them!! I guess that's good. At least that means I"m not bored!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 11-16-21, 12:49 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

wow - missed several days of checking in.

Friday - Joyce Non stop lower body
Saturday - Caribbean aerobics pilates & 20 mins Gina B power walk
Sunday - 10 min stretch, drove 1:45 to a horse trial, rode, walked courses, etc, came home stretch for 15
Yesterday - 30 min yoga stretch
Today - Joyce BUG+ upper body

so I felt less sore after my long, hard day on Sunday than I did the previous Sunday so I probably need the weight lifting to build some muscle.

I'm with you both on side planks - I actually hurt myself trying to do one - but with shoulder surgery on one side, and 3 broken bones up (collarbone, scapula, achromium) I just have to pass on those.

Have a great one!
Old 11-17-21, 10:55 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone!

I started my workout week today with a Caroline EPIC III upper body workout (as it's an upper/lower/upper week) that focused on the triceps, biceps, and abs (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh4m...aCqjdn&index=4). It was 3 minute complexes with a 30 second rest in between, rotating between upper body (tricep/bicep or just tricep or just bicep) complex and an all ab complex then repeat that structure with different exercises. So that was a lot of time spent on abs today! I wore 1# ankle weights and felt like I got in a great workout. I did a little cardio after my warm up and was surprisingly sweaty in the workout given it was all upper body focus and a lot of time on the mat. She added tricep dips and tricep pushups so it added a little metabolic too. I am just really enjoying these workouts. Total workout time with warm up, brief cardio, and stretch after was 55 minutes.

Eventmom welcome back! Those look like awesome workouts!!

Buzzer I always feel like I should do yoga more, but then I just don't seem to want to, LOL. I was thinking about adding more yoga in for my next rotation, but then thought about all the shoulder/wrist intense plank type moves and though maybe not, LOL.

The "I got shot in the butt-ocks" line is from the Forrest Gump movie LOL (see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIWd3T1xjec). I don't know if you've ever seen the movie but it was pretty funny!

That is crazy about the Taco Bell line!! I always balk at the Chik fila line but at least they seem to have a very efficient system. They have three (3!) wide of lines of cars around the one near me and Ive never tried it but I've heard that they get you in and out fast. The 30 minutes at Taco Bell is WAAAY too long for a drive in, yikes!

I need to get on my christmas decorating soon, I'd like to have it all up before hosting Thanksgiving next week! (Can you believe Thanksgiving is next week?! )
Old 11-17-21, 12:12 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Joyce bottoms up gold lower body & back

so I heavied up a bit yesterday and was more sore today than I wanted to be!

ebianco - I think Caroline is too advanced for me!

hi buzzer!