Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-21, 02:01 AM  
sillygirl

Any side effects to doing walking workout DVDs everyday?

I have a lot of Leslie and Jessica walking DVDs that I haven't been good about using often. Just wondering if there are any bad side effects to doing walking DVDs everyday? Since it's more marching in place vs. regular walking are there muscles that will be overused/sore? TIA!
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-21, 04:23 AM  
Tanja

When I was doing mainly Lesley and Jessica walking workouts daily along with walking at work daily, I overused my hip flexors. My Iliopsoas became very tight and it took a few months to release it. Lesson learned: Vary your workouts!
Tanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-21, 05:20 AM  
JessicaW

I recently was doing quite a bit of Jenny Ford's Walk Across America and developed very painful plantar fasciitis for the first time! I have had to lay off these workouts in order to find relief.
JessicaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-21, 05:48 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Same here; marching in place every day really bothered my hip flexors, quads, and knees.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-21, 06:49 AM  
Gams

For the last couple years my entire body has been stiff and sore but I haven’t noticed any increased issues since I’ve ramped up my walking workouts and I’ve been doing A LOT of them since we started a pedometer wars in February.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-21, 10:12 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

What Tanja and Firm Dancer said.

If I do Leslie's walking workouts without thoroughly stretching my hip flexors afterwards, it makes them so short and tight. Leslie's post-workout stretches are laughable.

These are good workouts, and I do them sometimes in winter (I live in a cold snowy climate), but if you do them a lot, it's really imperative to stretch thoroughly afterwards. Particularly the hip flexors.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-21, 12:53 PM  
Scorpio6

I get low back pain and ache, which I don't get with the treadmill. On the other hand, I get achilles tendinitis with the treadmill.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-21, 05:34 PM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanja View Post
When I was doing mainly Lesley and Jessica walking workouts daily along with walking at work daily, I overused my hip flexors. My Iliopsoas became very tight and it took a few months to release it. Lesson learned: Vary your workouts!
This! Tight hip flexors and lower back pain. Be sure to stretch out after your workouts and do something different once in a while!

Donna
Old 04-19-21, 06:09 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I only know my own situation, but I don't have perfect biomechanics (my feet are flat, low back injury) and if I do the same thing everyday I will have a problem of some type. I have to change things around.
Old 04-19-21, 08:21 PM  
kat999

What everyone else said. And on a somewhat similar issue, there was one summer where my only workouts were doing power walks/jogs outside, up to 6 miles at a stretch. I did NOTHING else. I got PF so bad that I had to stop for a while. Cross-training, varying things, and stretching are all so, so important.

Tags
crosstraining, hip flexor, plantar fasciitis, walking workouts