Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-10-21, 12:23 PM  
PennyK

Questions for Retirees

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-21, 12:44 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I sort of eased into retirement but I had my kids late in life, so I'd say the "start" of my retirement was first going part time to raise my kids. My husband and I started a company and I was so very lucky to be in the position of working part time for that company, completely around my kids' schedules. It was not the same job I did in my "real" career, so the work part was not fun for me, but so nice to have that flexibility. When my kids were in high school, I was done with that and did not have to work anymore, but I always felt really funny about "retiring" so young.

So.... the adjustment wasn't tough since it happened over time, but it's only recently that I can say with a straight face that I'm retired -- it just seemed a bit ludicrous to say it when I was younger. I had no plans, I kept busy with my my kids' sports and other things like that.

The pandemic has certainly put a crimp in any loose plans I had but my husband also has chronic foot pain, and that's put the biggest crimp in it. I probably do workout more -- I'm able to work in more yoga, definitely. I walked quite often with friends before the pandemic -- that has slowed way down but I seem to be fairly active still.

I am probably not typical for these questions, but hopefully I've given you a little food for thought.
Old 03-10-21, 12:45 PM  
Heather308

Very interested in this thread! I pretty much have the same questions - I retire in 26 months (not that I'm counting down lol!)
Heather308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-21, 12:47 PM  
Gams

My only plan was to do whatever I feel like doing and I love it. I particularly like not having the stress of having to commute to work on those icy snowy winter days. I definitely work out A LOT more because I can work out any time I please. I love, love, love retirement.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-21, 01:01 PM  
jbrigid
VF Supporter

Ch-ch-changes

Hello!
I retired in 2016 after 36 years in the classroom and I HATED it at first because I was so used to having a schedule. I got a part time job at a library putting books away (lots of steps!) and got more involved in music-church, community choir, piano lessons again. Unfortunately I broke my ankle on 3/13/20 and spent most of the covid time on my butt.

I have since gotten used to a slower pace---I still workout and have a trainer but I feel ok about sitting around doing embroidery instead of constantly doing something around the house.

For me, retirement came at the right time, although I didn't realize it at first.
My advice is to have some activities you love and enjoy your time off.
Old 03-10-21, 01:02 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

My husband and I both retired early 7 years ago. Up until last year we did a lot of traveling. We got into home exchanging and spent time in Europe, Hawaii, & Australia. It was an affordable way to see the world and we hope to get back to it next year.

I wanted to learn something new so I started Essentrics teacher training four years ago and just finished Level 4 recently. I teach 2 classes a week on zoom to a small group of friends & hope to get back to in person soon. I’m contemplating what I want to learn next.....

I have more time to work out and I enjoy a variety of workouts. I love walking and hiking & have a few walking buddies. It’s been a good way to safely be together during covid. We live in an area with lots of lovely parks and trails.

We just bought a small travel trailer and plan to do some camping with family this summer.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-21, 02:03 PM  
Demeris

I retired 8 years ago from my regular work/paycheck, BUT I've had a small consultancy related to my primary work since 1994.

So when I first retired, I simply worked more on my consultancy. It took me five or six years before I dialed back on my consultancy. I still accept work (because it allows me to travel), but I'm far pickier about what I'll do.

The pandemic this last year slowed me way, way, way down. I did a bit of work as a consultant but nothing that took me out of town.

Being retired has allowed me to choose how I spend my time and with whom I spend my time. It has also allowed me to travel far more than I had been able to before (while I worked full-time, I could travel as a consultant only on weekends and on my vacation days). Except for the pandemic, I could travel when and where I wanted (within my budget, of course).

I love the freedom to pursue my own projects on my timeline. I love being able to take a nap when I want.

And I am most grateful for being able to be around and to help my father as he moves deeper and deeper into Old Age (he just turned 89).

Because I moved out to the middle of the desert when I retired, I left my social life in Tucson. Before the pandemic, I could drive in to town and have lunch with friends and keep up with everyone. Since the pandemic, not so much.

Also, in retirement, I earned an ACE personal trainer certification and a Silver Sneakers group fitness certification. I haven't used either one, but I keep the certifications current. I am now in a program to become a Pietra Fitness trainer. At some point, when I'm completely done with my consultancy, I hope to use these certifications and work with an older population.

I retired 2 1/2 years early because I could. I don't regret it one bit.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-21, 04:29 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Both my husband and I retired early. Once the business (my husband was a partner in) got bought out by another company, we were able to relocate to another state. The process was gradual for me, as I left the business (early 40s) with the intention of starting a family. We were successful in business and able to retire much earlier than most, so I never returned to work. Moving multiple times and leaving groups of friends and family was difficult for us, and it's been an adjustment.

I do like having my own schedule, but I am not as good about organizing my time and could be much more efficient. We are never bored or lack for things to do, though. DH has many projects that he works on daily and I try to keep up with things around the house. We're blessed to have been able to retire as early as we did and sell the business at just the right time for us!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-21, 04:54 PM  
bfit

I am not retired, but right before the pandemic I had a period of 3-4 months when I was supposed to be working on a work project from home part-time for partial pay. I found that I did not use my time as efficiently as before for either work or recreation. It's amazing how long you can spend taking a shower or eating lunch when you feel like you have all of the time in the world to do it. It's nice and frustrating at the same time.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-21, 07:27 PM  
schoolgirl-01

i'm retired but my husband isn't and i'm not sure he ever will (he loves to work).

make a list of the things you'd like to do (and this will always change based on new hobbies or interests) and manage your time like you would on a job.

it is very easy to be distracted by things and certainly now in this social media world.

my days are much the same monday-friday. i make time for the following every day -

meditation - includes reading the bible - 90 mins
cleaning something - i have a schedule of what/where for monday-friday - 60 mins
exercise - this can take up to 90 mins
shower
lunch
quilting/sewing/handbag making/dyeing-painting fabric (i have a different task for each day of the week - we call it studio time)
cook & eat dinner
dishes/clean up kitchen
watch tv - maybe an hour or so
free time - to do something i missed or haven't had a chance to get to
bedtime

that is my monday-friday. saturday day i can do what i want we are both artsy so more studio time is always on the table and i exercise.

saturday is date night

sunday - is time we spend together and i will do restorative exercise

i am pretty good about holding to my routine and my times. i always feel like my time in the studio is cut short. the creative process is time consuming and dinner needs to be cooked/eaten. i think a lot of people who exercise at home are disciplined people to begin with (otherwise we'd slip on our training) so it's really just an extension of that type of time management.
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
retirement