Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-11, 02:42 AM  
topfitmama

Paypal doesn't give me the "gift" option so I won't find myself in this particular situation. I don't think it's sneaky or deceitful to use it and I would if I had it.

I agree with posting on the board looking for the person who sold the DVDs to you, and if you don't get a reply, message the moderators.
Does this person post often? or is s-he a long standing member? I might be wary of someone who never posts.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-11, 06:57 AM  
pattyd0319

I guess it makes sense why there is no protection when using the gift option as in a sense it is giving the money to someone rather than for a purchase. I wasn't aware of it until this post but would mostly prefer purchasing the regular way unless I knew or trusted the person.

I do hope you get it resolve and get your workouts or he/she returns your money. Good luck!
pattyd0319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-11, 08:17 AM  
Orlita

I've used the gift option many times for yayas, too.

But it's good to know about the inability to dispute. I will probably just ask the yaya in the future if I can use non-gift and add the fee.
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-11, 08:28 AM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffins135 View Post
I would say that using the gift option on paypal for 99% of the people is not deceitful as suegy3 suggests. I have paid and been paid that way for items worth a lot more that fitness dvd's. It is buyer beware. My for sale list at YaYa's just says that I accept paypal or EMT (electronic money transfer which is available in Canada). It is easy to list your selling price with paypal fees added (3% plus $0.30) and the cost using the gift option. It is up to the buyer to decide which option suits them. If they choose the gift option the liability is on the buyer.
To suggest that people that give the gift option are deceitful is unfair and inaccurate IMO. Rant over.
Michele
I totally agree with you. Thanks for posting.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-11, 08:49 AM  
violingal3

I had no idea that was the case with the gift option, thanks for posting! I really hope it was just a misunderstanding. I've been very fortunate buying/selling/trading here and at Ya Yas for almost a decade - yikes!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-11, 08:53 AM  
poohpeggy

I appreciate the heads up. I buy often at Ya-Ya's and had no idea. I truly hope it all works out for you. Peggy
poohpeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-11, 10:21 AM  
mtnmom

A lot of people are on vacation this time of year.
Old 08-06-11, 12:40 PM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmom View Post
A lot of people are on vacation this time of year.
Good point, but I think it's common courtesy to inform a buyer that you may not be able to get the parcel out for a few days or that you are going away and won't have time for or access to email. Something of the sort to avoid misunderstandings.
I'd be nervous if the person I was buying from wasn't a regular member and somehow "traceable".
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-11, 01:58 PM  
alisoncooks

I have always requested the "gift" option when selling on yayas. Sometimes a seller is getting rid of something so cheaply, that it really is done to just avoid fees and taking an even bigger loss.

I have a pretty long (and successful) transaction record, LOL. I have sold and purchased DOZENS of times using this method with no problem. But I have also traded (dare I say) probably 100x and have never had any issues there either. Luck o' the draw, I guess.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-11, 03:25 PM  
sophie kat

I've used and asked for the gift option since joining the yaya's and haven't had a problem either, thank goodness. Incidents like this make me think that some sort of feedback or track record system would really help. I'm not sure how that would work exactly, but it would other members more confidence if they know one has a good history in buying, selling and trading.

Anyway, I really hope this is just an annoying and/or inconsiderate misunderstanding for the OP.

I my VF friends!
sophie kat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buyer beware, paypal, ya-yas, yayas