Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-22-21, 02:11 PM  
acey

NYTopinion piece on aerobics

It uses the Apple TV show "Physical" as a frame of reference. Interesting. Apologies in advance if link doesn't work.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/19/o...t-all-surfaces
Old 06-22-21, 03:34 PM  
kat999

Great article! I do so, so many "vintage" workouts still and find them very effective. And I know that a big part of my identity is bound up in taking what I consider "me time" to work out. But as the article hints, some of that is potentially unhealthy and has led to some focus on appearance over feeling good, and I can sadly relate to that element, too.

Oh, and I don't have Apple TV, so I can't watch that show, but it looks good. I enjoyed the parts of Netflix's series GLOW that focused on the '80s fitness stuff. One of the characters on there started to develop an eating disorder, but then the series was cancelled before it could resolve that storyline.
Old 06-23-21, 05:37 AM  
JessicaW

Thanks for this! Good read. I must check out the show they mention, "Aerobics".
JessicaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-21, 11:01 PM  
acey

Yes, it's really an interesting issue. I've noticed that more recent workout videos emphasize health, wellness and positive body image over "sculpted", "chiseled" "hard bodies" etc.

Not that I minded titles like "Bodies of Steel" or anything like that. However, it's true too that one can get too hung up on "changing my body" and "looking ripped," etc. Especially as I get older, these goals just aren't realistic. I'm just happy to have a body that can still exercise, regardless of whether I look "ripped" or not.

I thought the article did a good job of covering pros and cons of the '80s exercise craze. I'm everlastingly grateful that exercise videos came into my life. Instructors like Leslie Sansone and Billy Blanks all along, even while profiting from exercise crazes, emphasized health and fitness rather than getting thin.

Tags
aerobics, article, article link