Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-04-20, 11:02 PM  
Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
I'm currently reading The Girls Who Went Away. It tells the stories of unwed mothers who surrendered their babies for adoption in the 50's, 60's and early 70's. The majority were sent away to maternity homes. Truly heartbreaking.
Such a great book! I read that book last year, it’s often discussed in my genealogy groups. Earlier, this year I connected with a cousin who was adopted out of the family and I suggested the book to her. I often have to remind myself how modern by point of view is and how, in the past there were so few options for women.
Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-20, 04:46 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
I'm currently reading The Girls Who Went Away. It tells the stories of unwed mothers who surrendered their babies for adoption in the 50's, 60's and early 70's. The majority were sent away to maternity homes. Truly heartbreaking.
I'm reading this now and it truly is heartbreaking.

I just finished Anxious People by Fredrick Backman. His books are hit and miss with me - I usually love them or hate them. I had mixed feelings about this one - it's not my type of book, but it kept me engaged and I'm glad I read it. I also just finished It Takes One to Tango: How I Rescued My Marriage with (Almost) No Help from My Spouse—and How You Can, Too - not so much for marriage advice, but for relationship tips in general, and thought it was pretty good. I used one of the tips yesterday and it worked!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-20, 03:27 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post
Anna, this is a wonderful guided meditation! Thank you so much for posting that link.
Glad to share, I really do like the thoughtfulness and gentleness with which she presents things. In the meditation and in her book.
Old 10-06-20, 07:22 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand View Post
Such a great book! I read that book last year, it’s often discussed in my genealogy groups. Earlier, this year I connected with a cousin who was adopted out of the family and I suggested the book to her. I often have to remind myself how modern by point of view is and how, in the past there were so few options for women.
Sand, how does your cousin feel about connecting with the biological side of her family? I am a birth mother and reunited with my son in 2007. Points of view from adoptees always interest me.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-20, 07:27 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
] I am a birth mother and reunited with my son in 2007. ]
I hope it was a wonderful experience for both of you.

Erica
Old 10-07-20, 12:08 AM  
Sand

Quote:
Sand, how does your cousin feel about connecting with the biological side of her family? I am a birth mother and reunited with my son in 2007. Points of view from adoptees always interest me.
How wonderful for you!

She was born pre-Roe vs. Wade and her birth mom had kept her pregnancy a secret all these years. Clearly, after DNA testing, the secret was out. I was very open and honest with medical issues, photos and whatever else I could provide as I don’t know how receptive everyone else has been. She has since been in contact with some of her direct relatives.

When she discussed the secrecy of her birth, that just broke my heart for both her and her birth mom. I think that secrets are sometimes too heavy to carry and that’s one type of secret that would have been too much for me. I have multiple autoimmune diseases which have been triggered by extreme stress. It’s one thing to be told how different things were in the past, but in reading that book I got a different level of understanding.

I have on my DNA profiles that I’m adoptee friendly and am always willing to help anyone who contacts me. I provide as much information as I can. Growing up, my dad was a social worker for our local children’s home and I’ve always had a lot of love for the foster/adoption community.
Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-20, 08:54 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I hope it was a wonderful experience for both of you.

Erica
Thanks Erica. It has been an "experience", I'll say that! Very emotional on both sides and has worked out better than I'd expected. What brings me the most joy is knowing he had (has) a wonderful family and is now close with the two sons (his half brothers) I raised.
Old 10-07-20, 09:00 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand View Post
How wonderful for you!

She was born pre-Roe vs. Wade and her birth mom had kept her pregnancy a secret all these years. Clearly, after DNA testing, the secret was out. I was very open and honest with medical issues, photos and whatever else I could provide as I don’t know how receptive everyone else has been. She has since been in contact with some of her direct relatives.

When she discussed the secrecy of her birth, that just broke my heart for both her and her birth mom. I think that secrets are sometimes too heavy to carry and that’s one type of secret that would have been too much for me. I have multiple autoimmune diseases which have been triggered by extreme stress. It’s one thing to be told how different things were in the past, but in reading that book I got a different level of understanding.

I have on my DNA profiles that I’m adoptee friendly and am always willing to help anyone who contacts me. I provide as much information as I can. Growing up, my dad was a social worker for our local children’s home and I’ve always had a lot of love for the foster/adoption community.
I'm sure she appreciates the information you were able to provide. My situation was somewhat different in that I wasn't sent to a maternity home but was definitely kept a secret from extended family. Reading the experiences of girls who were sent to those places made me realize, at least in that aspect, I was fortunate.
Old 10-07-20, 09:54 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
What brings me the most joy is knowing he had (has) a wonderful family and is now close with the two sons (his half brothers) I raised.
Quote:
My situation was somewhat different in that I wasn't sent to a maternity home but was definitely kept a secret from extended family. Reading the experiences of girls who were sent to those places made me realize, at least in that aspect, I was fortunate.

Erica
Old 10-20-20, 07:28 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I'm reading The Royal Nanny by Karen Harper. It's pretty good. And, I'm reading Finnikin of the Rock, an insanely good science fiction book.

Alison - I'm up-to-date on The Thief series and I just have BitterBlue to read in the other series I've been reading. So, I decided to start this series and I'm having a hard time putting it down! Thanks again for the recommendations!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, reading