Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-24-22, 05:16 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Anyone subscribe to Consumer Reports on Health?

I'm thinking of giving myself this gift in 2023. I'm wondering if it is worth it. Consumer Reports Info can usually be trusted, but it would be good to hear from anyone who was subscribed to it. You can't find it on newsstands as far as I can tell.
Old 12-25-22, 02:52 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

My library gives me free access to Consumer Reports online and there is a "Health" section. Not sure if this is the same as what you're referring to?

"Get expert reviews and ratings for health, fitness, and food products from Consumer Reports, and read the latest on drugs, hospital safety, and more."

There's an "Exercise & Fitness" section where "The experts at CR have curated everything you need to know about exercise & fitness products from elliptical exercisers to exercise bikes plus buying advice and savvy shopping tips."

And there are articles like:

"The Training Program That Can Reduce Your Risk of Falls"*
"The Truth About Red Yeast Rice for Lowering Cholesterol"
"What You Need to Know About Copper Compression Sleeves and Pain Relief"

*For those curious about the fall risk/balance (short) article, the interesting bits:

-Tai chi reduced the rate of falls by 23 percent, according to an Australian review of 116 studies published in 2020.

-Dancing, either solo (like Zumba) or with a partner, requires motor and sensory skills. A German study found that weekly dancing improved balance more than typical cardio workouts.

-Strength training that includes squats, lunges, or standing exercises can help by challenging muscles in your legs, back, and abdomen that are important for stability.

-Yoga can improve balance for people 60 and older, according to a review of six studies in the journal Age and Ageing. It helps while you’re still and in motion.

Also apparently, "some YMCAs offer a program called Moving for Better Balance." And the article lists a few moves you can do by yourself like zigzag walking, imaginary tightrope walking, etc.

They also review things like blood pressure monitors, sunscreens, fitness trackers, etc. and tell you when you should replace your bike helmet.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-22, 10:48 AM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I subscribed 15 or more years ago. I don't remember much about it. I know I got it for several years so there must've been something worthwhile in it.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-22, 01:13 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

My parents used to subscribe to CR for Health. If you already get CR, you don't really need it since a lot of it is reprints of their regular articles.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balance, balance work, consumer reports, fall risk