Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-16, 12:34 PM  
Stephanie_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
Cancer (and heart disease for that matter) does not discriminate. People who have lived very "healthy" all their lives can still get these diseases, as well as high blood pressure and diabetes. There are NO guarantees.

We do all we can to stay healthy, some times we get knocked down anyway. But having a healthy body makes fighting or living with these illnesses a lot easier.

I'll never forget taking care of a woman in the ICU who had just had a heart attack. She was a marathon runner and obviously in great shape. She kept repeating "this wasn't supposed to happen, this wasn't supposed to happen." I felt so sorry for her situation, but it really brought home to me the point that none of us have any guarantees that we won't fall ill.

/off soapbox/ Guess that pushed my buttons a little.
Dad the same way. He did Iron Man. He's eaten clean since before it was a term...and now has high cholesterol and says it wasn't supposed to happen.

But I do think, having been on the receiving end of cancer comments, that people are afraid of it so much that it "could" happen to them they throw out these "eat this, that or the other". Guess what? Anyone who has been around enough cancer patients knows you can eat "clean" all your life, never have refined sugar, exercise daily, do yoga, have stress relief...and still get stage IV cancer and die. Or you can do none of those things, drink to excess, smoke cigars, etc., etc., and die at 100 while eating ding dongs and red meat.

Do what makes YOU feel good. If eating beets makes you feel good, do it. If not eating beets makes you feel better, do it (I'm using beets as any food/routine).

As far as Ilaria, I wish her as little pain as possible and healing.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-16, 12:48 PM  
jusca

Sad to hear about her health issues. I love her workouts. I hope that the cancer was caught early enough to fight it away. I recently had a cousin much younger than Ilaria get breast cancer and thank goodness early detection and treatment was able to restore her to cancer-free health. I wish Ilaria the same result.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-16, 03:48 PM  
Pippadog

Hi

Well my prayers and thoughts are with Illaria. I have been coming on this site for many years. Some of you may recognise me from trading, I'm in the UK. I love my fitness videos, I don't drink alcohol, I gave up smoking years ago and I try to eat well. May of this year I was diagnosed with non hodgkinson skin lymphoma. Its a very rare cancer and at the present time I'm undergoing radiotherapy. My doctors have said its okay to carry on exercising and I try to. Just before my diagnosis I was sometimes doing two workouts a day. Cathe in the morning and yoga at night. I was in the best asthetic shape of my life. However I had a lump growing on my forehead that was concerning me and took along time to diagnose. Luckily my CT scans and bone marrow tests were clear. Before I was diagnosed I was constantly trying to push myself further in workouts. However now I do workouts I enjoy. Remember the whole point of exercise is to increase health and enjoy it. Sometimes we forget that and are always looking for that 'perfect rotation' or 'perfect workout' that will get us slim. My lesson now is enjoy exercise, continue to eat healthy and make sensible health choices. I believe genetics have alot to do with illness, especially cancers and heart conditions. Yes it helps tremendously to do the healthy things, but the genetic makeup of a person does play a very important part.

I think my main point is, let us enjoy our bodies, feel blessed that we can do some form exercise and enjoy life. At the end of the day nothing beats walking my dog over the fields. My heartfelt prayers go out to Illaria and all the rest of us fighting this dreadful disease.

Laura
x
Pippadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-16, 04:54 PM  
Hilary

In case anyone is interested, Ilaria posted a Kickstarter campaign ... she is going to be producing a documentary film on her battle with breast cancer. Apparently, she had already been filming for a while, but now this diagnosis has "changed everything," as she says. I for one think it would be a great way to show her my (our) support, and I think it would also be fascinating to see how such a fit and athletic person copes with the aftermath of such invasive surgery.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...i-film-project
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-16, 06:02 PM  
muggle

Hilary thanks for that post. I'm in. I just love Ilaria and I have great respect for her and what she does and has done for so many. Including countless people she has never met but whom can say "Ilaria, youve inspired me". I wish her the absolute best because she deserves all of that and more.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-16, 07:39 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippadog View Post
Hi

Well my prayers and thoughts are with Illaria. I have been coming on this site for many years. Some of you may recognise me from trading, I'm in the UK. I love my fitness videos, I don't drink alcohol, I gave up smoking years ago and I try to eat well. May of this year I was diagnosed with non hodgkinson skin lymphoma. Its a very rare cancer and at the present time I'm undergoing radiotherapy. My doctors have said its okay to carry on exercising and I try to. Just before my diagnosis I was sometimes doing two workouts a day. Cathe in the morning and yoga at night. I was in the best asthetic shape of my life. However I had a lump growing on my forehead that was concerning me and took along time to diagnose. Luckily my CT scans and bone marrow tests were clear. Before I was diagnosed I was constantly trying to push myself further in workouts. However now I do workouts I enjoy. Remember the whole point of exercise is to increase health and enjoy it. Sometimes we forget that and are always looking for that 'perfect rotation' or 'perfect workout' that will get us slim. My lesson now is enjoy exercise, continue to eat healthy and make sensible health choices. I believe genetics have alot to do with illness, especially cancers and heart conditions. Yes it helps tremendously to do the healthy things, but the genetic makeup of a person does play a very important part.

I think my main point is, let us enjoy our bodies, feel blessed that we can do some form exercise and enjoy life. At the end of the day nothing beats walking my dog over the fields. My heartfelt prayers go out to Illaria and all the rest of us fighting this dreadful disease.

Laura
x
Laura - thinking of you. I certainly remember you. I agree with you - enjoy life, enjoy the workouts we do and don't forget to be grateful for where we are, regardless of where that is. I think my bought with breast cancer has taught me to not be afraid. I've come to peace with my own mortality, but it certainly doesn't mean that I plan to lay down and die.
Old 09-22-16, 08:15 PM  
mmis29

What a terrible shame....someone who trains so hard eats well and takes such amazing care of themselves just wow
Old 09-23-16, 06:12 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Very best wishes to you Laura, and thanks for sharing your story.

Yes, illness can strike any time to any one. But if we're overall healthy and strong and have a positive outlook, I'm sure we have a better chance of recovery.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ilaria, ilaria montagnani