Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-03, 01:53 PM  
roz

Heck Yeah!

I don't have any problem with my husband seeing me work out to a video, but I surely do go to great lengths to make certain that nobody can see inside my living room when I work out. My greatest fear is having a delivery person or someone knock on the door when I am working out. Some moves are more embarassing than others. For instance, I guess I would rather be seen doing a bicep curl than mamboing around my step (although I prefer the latter!). I guess people are more acquainted with bicep curls. I know it is silly for me to be so paranoid, but I am.
roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-03, 02:02 PM  
horsemom2

Re: horsemom2 i remember you from taebo forums!

Quote:
Originally posted by slimandfit
do u still do taebo? i still enjoy my advanced taebo workouts although i mixed it up with a variety of videos. i was hoping they'd come out with dvd versions of their advanced live videos vols 1 - 12 but i guess it'll never happen!
I do try to but I have gotten so many new workouts that I have neglected TaeBo for a few months. eventually I'll be doing it again at least once a week.

Barb S
who did do Rachel Hunter's Kickboxing this morning as well as a couple of other short workouts (I liked hers cuz slow moving using the muscles powerfully)
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-03, 02:09 PM  
fitofrage

I don't permit other people to be in the room unless they're working out too...
fitofrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-03, 02:10 PM  
*pet*art*girl*
VF Supporter

I have a workout room that is also our computer room. I am fine doing cardio if my husband is in the room - it doesn't really bother me then. Weights: I can't have him there - it wrecks my focus. But he plans his computer time around my workout time, so I get the room all to myself during my workouts.

“Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion; you must first set yourself on fire.”
- Reggie Leach

“A big shot is a little shot that kept shooting” - Unknown
"I caught myself cheating! Shame on me!" - Cathe
*pet*art*girl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-03, 02:51 PM  
Melinda

I'm not embarrassed by it in general, but i prefer not to have people walk through as I am doing my workout. For one it takes away from my concentration and for the other the people who drop in should join me instead of watching!!

one time some neighbors stopped by during one of my workouts and I was a bit embarrassed.... thats why early in the morning works best for me, much less chance of being distracted and interrupted!!
Melinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-03, 07:47 PM  
Anny

I always have watchers - my kids! lol! If they are up, some of them like to watch - and chat, which is difficult for me. :-)

My dh and teen sons used to like watching the Tae Bo workouts - and now they do these with me on the weekend.

I sometimes feel "funny" being watched while doing a dance tape - this morning it was a CD with club style dance aerobics and I felt kind of funny dancing funky in my sitting room! lol!
Old 06-23-03, 08:20 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

No, I am not embarrassed working out in front of the TV. I've reached a point in my life that I feel that if I enjoy something, I will do it, and I don't care what anyone thinks of me. My philosophy is: if it makes you happy, do it!
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-03, 02:46 AM  
Bouks

I live in France where anyone who's slightly overweight is considered a fool for attempting exercise anywhere...to them, it's useless to do anything unless you already look great doing it. Well, how are you supposed to get fit if your're not? The only acceptable way to lose weight here is to take diet drugs and/or eat nothing. I just don't get it. I've actually had doctors here tell me "don't eat ANYTHING with fat in it, and don't eat carbohydrates after breakfast!" And I'm not even obese, only moderately overweight. I imagine it's the same right next door in Italy...

My 4-year-old daughter usually watches me work out, and I don't feel embarrassed with her there but she's somewhat of a pest because she wants the DVD player to watch her videos.

My husband is supportive of my exercising but he doesn't really know much about the video exercise culture, so when he got a look at a couple of my DVDs the puzzled look on his face did make me feel a bit silly. But he likes the result of my workouts so he doesn't say anything, and I exercise when he's not home! I also have much of the Pilates matwork routine memorised so I don't need to put a video on. I just don't do the Seal exercise at the end because it does look kind of ridiculous clapping your feet and rolling back and forth like a seal! But the other exercises look kind of difficult and impressive when you get strong enough to do them well, so DH ends up being more impressed than amused. As for other people...I just don't tell them, it's none of their business.

After some time when you get very fit and strong, people will likely be so impressed that they'll want to do what you did to get that way, no matter what it is...then you can get them hooked on videos too
Bouks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-03, 03:43 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

I won't workout with a video if someone else is around. The basic existential lunacy of following directions from a television set overwhelms when there is an audience. It's okay if my husband catches an occasional glimpse if he has something to ask me but no way would I be able to exercise seriously with him in the room if that television set were involved.

I'm very lucky to have my own room (my studio).

If we have a house guest I don't exercise unless I'm up way before everyone else.

I can do my own yoga practice if the hubcap is in the same room -- say when we're travelling. I think it's the absurdity of the television that rattles me.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-03, 04:51 AM  
dixie

I work out in my basement and yes, I too like to be alone. I wish I wasn't so self conscious, but I am. I know there is no reason to be embarassed because I am doing something good, but I still can't get over the performance anxiety. Maybe there's a goal I can work on.
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
house guests, self-conscious