Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-03, 12:18 PM  
slimandfit

i prefer to work out alone

i feel working out is my own private time (which we all need). i feel more focused in my workouts if i'm all alone than when some people are around - watching, making comments, asking questions - talking to me while i'm working out!
slimandfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-03, 12:24 PM  
horsemom2

Thumbs down don't like an audience

in fact, I never used a free week at CURVES because they have their circuit set up so that everyone sees/watches everyone else

Barb S
who would definitely modify and focus less if an audience were watching
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-03, 12:42 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I used to hate having my roommate around when I worked out, and felt the same way at first when I got married and my DH was around. But I told myself, I'm working out and getting in shape and they're not, so let them stare! I may look silly while I'm working out, but when I'm done, I feel and look great.

I'm not a big fan of gawkers at the gym though, and haven't belonged to one in years.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-03, 12:49 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Gosh, yes! Probably due to some deep-seated neurosis or whatever... well, no, I'm sure it's a direct result of always being very uncoordinated and having been laughed at by other nasty children during PE :rolleyes: To this day I cannot walk into a gym without feeling horribly self-conscious. Which is why I love videos!

I cannot imagine adults sitting around and watching someone else doing a video for fun. How rude!
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-03, 01:00 PM  
kandy

Even though I have a very supportive DH & daughter...

I stop exercising the minute one of them walks into the room. It's like they caught me doing something bad lol! I am the heaviest I've ever been, & when I'm working out, I visualize how I am improving each muscle, including my heart...but when someone walks into the room I get this FLASH of what I look like (as compared to those in the video maybe?) and everything comes to a halt! This sometimes has caused me to not workout on a day that I had big plans because there was never a time when I was alone. This morning I began moving things around in my basement to make a space for me to do my workouts and store all my equipment. I already have a television & cable down there....so far no one goes in our basement other than the laundry room.....I hope it stays that way lol! It's a shame to be so self conscious even with loved ones, I wish I could change that feeling
kandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-03, 01:09 PM  
Leela
VF Supporter

Nah...

Not any more.

But I understand - I used to feel funny about it.
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-03, 01:29 PM  
slimandfit

horsemom2 i remember you from taebo forums!

do u still do taebo? i still enjoy my advanced taebo workouts although i mixed it up with a variety of videos. i was hoping they'd come out with dvd versions of their advanced live videos vols 1 - 12 but i guess it'll never happen!
slimandfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-03, 01:41 PM  
Sam
VF Supporter

What A Difference A Basement Makes

Kandy, I just want to say "Go For It" with your basement workout space. I did that a couple of years ago and it made all the difference for me. I could go down there and sweat my buns off without a worry about anyone else. Sometimes I think women feel guilty about doing something just for themselves. Maybe that's why we feel all self-conscious when our loved ones "catch" us exercising.

Over the past several years video fitness has become a very important part of my daily life. I'm not nearly as self-conscious as I used to be, and DH and I recently started a new Slim Series rotation together! If you'd told me that a couple of years ago when I was getting back into fitness after a really big slump, I wouldn't have believed you. Not only can he be in the room while I working out, but he can be next to me, or behind me checking my form.

I think we're our own worst critics, too. We immediately compare our bodies to those of the people on the tape, when the family member that wandered in might just be curious to see what we're up to.
Old 06-23-03, 01:46 PM  
kyrin
VF Supporter

Wink watchers can either join in or relocate

I guess I'm not so strange after all. One of the big reasons that I like videos over gym classes (aside from the convenience) is that I have the class/group atmosphere with the joking, commiseration, etc., that goes on...but I don't have to worry about lagging behind, stopping for a drink of water, reworking a section that is new to me, wondering what the rest of my "classmates" think when I give the instructor a piece of my mind, or when I'm looking less than brilliant for totally blowing off the last series of pushups/crunches and watching in awe as the class keeps going without me. ...I like working out at home because I'm in the "working up to it phase"...having just switched up to the next level in intensity. I like the progress that I'm making, but I sure don't need an sudience while I'm achieving it.

Invite your niece and whomever else to get their booties up off the couch and become hot babes right along side you...or relocate. A cheering section is okay for some things, but video fitness is not a spectator sport. They need to Move it (buns) or lose it (seat on the couch).

Hugs to you, gal. Hang in there with your workouts. Maybe you'll inspire them to get out there on the floor with you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xmas88.jpg (4.4 KB, 281 views)
Old 06-23-03, 01:51 PM  
LCC
VF Supporter

Nope, I refuse to feel embarrassed about doing something that is good for me and that I enjoy.

When I lived at home, Mom would show up a lot and watch and make occassional snide comments (usually about the instructors, but sometimes about my keester or the fact that I was going to wind up looking like Arnold Schwartzenegger).

Dad would show up every once in a while if there was a "babe" in the video. He seemed to have a fondness for JJG and Sandahl. I could always make him leave by putting in Jane Fonda.

I've had relatives show up to watch during family visits. Okee-dokee.

I can ignore just about anything if I try hard enough.

Laura (LCC)
LCC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
house guests, self-conscious