Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-03, 04:34 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Phantom injuries????

I am curious, and almost afraid to ask, for fear I will find out it is just age, haha, but it seems that whenever I get 'injured', it is something out of 'nowhere'.

Never, or RARELY ever anything related to my brutal workouts! I can push iron til the cows come home, step til I frazzle, BOSU, rebound and box, without problem. But then what happens? I hurt myself towelling off after a shower!! Oh yes I DID!!! And the week before that? I woke up unable to walk on my right foot. Got out of bed and could not put any pressure on it for 2 days. Sometimes, I will just be getting up out of a chair after sitting at my desk a while, and end up limping from knee pain for hours. WHAT....THE.....HE&&??

Anybody else able to get hurt just breathing??????

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-03, 04:47 PM  
maigosia

ha! I have a huge "hole" in my muscular leg. Thanks to Pilates ir's much smaller now...
But anyway, I do a lot of workouts that need stability (ball, kickboxing, badminton) and I've never ever fell... but somehow I lost my stability while I was climbing stairs with bags in my hand And now I have that hole in my leg.
maigosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-03, 04:47 PM  
Nancy N.
VF Supporter

ABSOLUTELY! I'm 41.

However, I'm just reading Peak Performance Fitness and I'll be the author would say that our injuries probably stem from years of mal-alignment or muscle imbalances. Could be. And maybe we don't get hurt as much when we're actually working out b/c we are really focusing on form.

It's a never-ending battle.
Old 06-27-03, 04:59 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

That's what I was thinking, that I just don't focus when I am not 'thinking' about it, and therefore move funny and kabam. That alignment issue also rings true. How else could a knee be so painful from just stepping, or a foot? It felt like there were broken bones in my foot, but it wasn't even swollen.

Old 06-27-03, 05:02 PM  
Sandikal

Remember how we used to think our parents and grandparents were crazy when they talked about the aches and pains of getting older? Well, they were right. Even with excercise and good nutrition, most people do experience more aches and pains when they get older. My joints make funny noises now. They're not injured or painful, but they creak and pop. It sucks.
Old 06-27-03, 05:38 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

I actually turn the sound up on my videos so that I don't have to listen to my knees grind as I step onto that Fanny Lifter, or do squats!

Old 06-27-03, 11:09 PM  
LCC
VF Supporter

Yeah, I know exactly what you are talking about.

Last week, I hurt my foot, somehow, sitting in a computer room. I think I might have hit it on a chair or something.

Last year, I hurt my shoulder reaching up to push the buttons on the garage door opener.

Once, I nearly blacked out in the street when I turned my head to check for traffic and popped something in my neck.

When I get hurt, it's usually from doing nothing. I attribute it to either bad luck or just not being as careful when I'm not doing anything "dangerous".

Laura (LCC)
LCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-03, 11:56 PM  
ARTYGIRL
VF Supporter

Yeah, this all sounds really familiar to me, too. I'm 43. The reason I never became a runner is because I roll my ankle just walking down the sidewalk on level ground. No pothole, no slant, no uneven pavement, not racewalking, not even hurrying , just trying to walk the block-and-a-half to the grocery store.

I also managed to fall off my porch a couple of weeks ago, for no apparent reason, and really crapped up my wrist for a few days. Again, no obvious provocation, I just turned around from locking the door and -- floomp! -- I was in the bushes.

But have I ever hurt myself working out? Nope. Never. Not doing yoga or step or hi-lo or using the elipitical trainer or working on the stability ball or even doing high bench step-ups to standing on one foot with a 35-pound bar across my shoulders.

I hadn't thought of turning the sound up so I don't have to listen to my knees crackle. I was trying to do squats with Cathe this afternoon and kept getting out of rhythm because my knees weren't with the music ... !

Although, entertainingly, I have an ankle that will snap so loud sometimes it actually startles people. Sometimes I snap it on purpose ...

Clumsily yours,
Marie

"A trimuph of art over logic"
(Manic Street Preachers)
ARTYGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-03, 01:46 AM  
maigosia

Oh, I'm reading replies and I realised I didn't understand correctly...
I'm sorry...

Maigosia
maigosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-03, 07:31 AM  
AcademiaNut
VF Supporter

I have a theory that our physical fitness CAUSES these injuries. It's training specificity that's the whole problem. Okay, I don't really believe this, but it gets me out of trouble when I trip over my own (very small) feet at parties or at work :rolleyes:

I'm an ex-dancer, and my daughter is currently a dancer. My house is frequently full of these people. Dancers are in amazing shape and are SUPPOSED to be graceful. But take them off the stage and remove the toe shoes, and they are the klutziest people on the face of the earth.

Here's why. It's all about alignment. Stand straight; pull up out of your hips. Chin a little elevated. Gaze forward and a tiny bit up. When you do this, you don't see little things in your way -like couches. Over you go.

It's that cross-training thing again. Perhaps if there were a video for walking and talking at the same time, or walking with a glass of water in your hand, then we'd train for these things and wouldn't run these terrible risks

Andrea