Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-25-22, 12:27 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

O/T: Revisiting FlyLady

Many years ago, I tried the FlyLady housecleaning and de-cluttering plan. I was somewhat successful for a short while, but fell off the plan. (The millions of emails didn't help.)

I'm going to try it again. Like my workouts, there will be some serious modifying done. I won't do all her steps and routines. It does give one a plan for daily and weekly chores. We'll see how it goes this time.

She has an app now.

Anyone still using the FlyLady plans?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-22, 12:57 PM  
prettyinpink

I never did the whole plan. I signed up for the emails on a whim back when that was such a big thing, and was quickly driven mad by them. It did help me keep more of a schedule for outdoor things that I tended to put off, like cleaning my deck, patio, and front entryway.

But two things that made a permanent impression on me were keeping a clean kitchen sink, and putting on shoes for the day. I have never worn shoes in the house, but for me this translated into the idea of getting in clothes that would be presentable even if I didn’t plan to go anywhere that day. I was a SAHM of young children, but I guess the same kind of thing goes for someone who is in retirement or working from home.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-22, 01:47 PM  
Sissy B

I signed up for the emails years ago and unsubscribed because she sends out so many. She does have a book, Sink Reflections, that covers her basic plan and zones.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-22, 03:47 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I never did the whole plan. I signed up for the emails on a whim back when that was such a big thing, and was quickly driven mad by them. It did help me keep more of a schedule for outdoor things that I tended to put off, like cleaning my deck, patio, and front entryway.

But two things that made a permanent impression on me were keeping a clean kitchen sink, and putting on shoes for the day. I have never worn shoes in the house, but for me this translated into the idea of getting in clothes that would be presentable even if I didn’t plan to go anywhere that day. I was a SAHM of young children, but I guess the same kind of thing goes for someone who is in retirement or working from home.
It was years ago, and no, I never followed through. The biggest thing that stuck with me was wearing lace-up sneakers. It does help me move efficiently (I have wood floors and found myself sliding and skating around in socks). And while there might often be a stray dish or two (or more) in the sink, I do make an effort to shine up the faucet.
Old 06-25-22, 04:34 PM  
sherry7899

I signed up for the emails and lasted two days! I cannot stand wearing shoes inside. I wear slippers or go barefoot.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-22, 07:07 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

if you are limited in following the entire Flylady plan, the 27 Fling Boogie is very doable and effective as "baby steps" to forming a habit.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-22, 10:57 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

She drove me nuts with the emails and platitudes.

Unf*ck Your Habitat is more my style and it really helps - when I follow it. Rachel Hoffman isn't interactive, you have to rely on the book alone. I like how she addresses depression, stress and generally being overwhelmed as legitimate reasons for having a cluttered (ahem, dirty) space. But she doesn't hold any punches.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-22, 11:31 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post

Unf*ck Your Habitat is more my style and it really helps - when I follow it. Rachel Hoffman isn't interactive, you have to rely on the book alone. I like how she addresses depression, stress and generally being overwhelmed as legitimate reasons for having a cluttered (ahem, dirty) space. But she doesn't hold any punches.
This looks good. Wish my library carried it.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-22, 12:30 PM  
Sissy B

Quote:

My library has it so I just put it on hold.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-22, 12:31 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:

Agreed, and thank you again for recommending it. I also liked her book because it was just so different from the others. Not everybody has a family they can gather for a weekend garage cleanup. Some people are alone, have physical or emotional restrictions, time limitations, or uncooperative roommates. Sometimes when I have 10 minutes to kill, I think "let's go unf**k something" It might just be some junk mail, or put away a few dishes, but it's something.

Tags
cleaning, declutter, decluttering, flylady, off-topic, ufyh