Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-16, 10:16 PM  
Chomper

Everyone Needs to Deadlift

http://tonygentilcore.com/2016/03/ev...s-to-deadlift/

The title is attention getting. The article is just about the importance of hip hinging movements and very informational. I feel like the biggest problem with a lot of popular home workout DVDs is that they are heavy on the anterior chain and neglect the posterior chain, so just sharing for consideration.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-16, 05:28 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
... I feel like the biggest problem with a lot of popular home workout DVDs is that they are heavy on the anterior chain and neglect the posterior chain ...
Oh I totally agree with you !!! I've been adding or subbing in deadlifts for years. Even way-back-when, when all I did were FIRM workouts, I would sub deadlifts for some of the lunges or tall box step-ups. In fact, that's one of the reasons why I appreciated Tracie Long - at least in her FIRM workouts, there'd be some attempt at posterior chain work with floor/bridge work.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-16, 08:04 AM  
cherimac

I'm not a heavy lifter by any means. I totally agree most workouts overwork the anterior chain. That is what Sadie Lincoln of batre3 says and her routines deliberately focus on the posterior chain. Love that.
Old 03-22-16, 08:17 AM  
dbclark44

Cathe's weekly blog had an article this week titled Thee Most Effective Full Body Resistance Exercises and guess what?! (Drumroll) Deadlifts was one of the three. I pasted the link below if you wanted to take a look.

http://cathe.com/3-most-effective-fu...ance-exercises

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-16, 08:35 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
Oh I totally agree with you !!! I've been adding or subbing in deadlifts for years. Even way-back-when, when all I did were FIRM workouts, I would sub deadlifts for some of the lunges or tall box step-ups. In fact, that's one of the reasons why I appreciated Tracie Long - at least in her FIRM workouts, there'd be some attempt at posterior chain work with floor/bridge work.
Tracie Long has a lot of deadlifts in her Longevity and Focus series workouts, many with some great variations. Hers are the only ones I can do without hurting the sides of my old and creaky knees... and I nearly forgot the amount of bridge work she incorporates too.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-16, 09:12 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Good article. I was just reading this about a 16 year old girl who deadlifted 190kg, and not even in a competition. Wow!
http://www.newyorker.com/news/sporti...-record-holder

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-16, 10:32 AM  
jenn38

I love deadlifts unfortunately I usually screw them up and my back will have a muscle spasm.

I think its the mentality of I should be able to lift heavier then I really can and my form sucks. I need to change my mindset and not care about weight and focus on form.
Old 03-22-16, 10:51 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
http://tonygentilcore.com/2016/03/ev...s-to-deadlift/

The title is attention getting. The article is just about the importance of hip hinging movements and very informational. I feel like the biggest problem with a lot of popular home workout DVDs is that they are heavy on the anterior chain and neglect the posterior chain, so just sharing for consideration.
This is why I like Dasha's stuff (Kettlebell Kickboxing). She has figured this out and fixes it!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-16, 11:51 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Dr. Eric Goodman (of Foundation Training) teaches about strengthening the posterior chain. He uses other non-weighted exercises. Not everyone can do weighted deadlifts.

http://www.foundationtraining.com/ba...deos-and-blog/

Andrea DuCane in Kettlebell Boomer give a great tutorial on hip-hinging. There are a lot of hip-hinging moves in the workouts.

I deadlift my 12 lb and 13 lb cats all day long.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deadlifts, hip hinge, posterior chain