Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-13, 06:09 AM  
Inchworm

What has helped you w/ Post. Chain, muscle imbalances...firing glutes

Hi,

I really feel as though I have some muscle imbalances going on and would really like to get everything back in balance. I was doing great and really feeling and looking fit while doing JNL fusioin. I love that form of working out and it's very effective. I'm over 42 now and have been dealing with some knee pain, shoulder, hip pain too. I've been reading a bit about how muscle imbalances and week posterior chain muscles can cause some of this and I'm thinking maybe I need to back things up a bit and retrain myself.

Are there any dvd's, youtube videos or books that have helped any of you with this?

I also feel as though my hamstrings usually take over for my glutes and I really want my glutes to FIRE up, so they can build up a bit, in order to lift up the butt

I look forward to hearing some input from my VF friends

Kelly
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 07:39 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Here is a really great article from Bret Contreras describing how to get the glutes firing and how to fix imbalances. He really takes you all the way from describing why the glutes tend to be weak and/or imbalanced in most people to laying out beginner, intermediate and advanced exercises for the glutes to get them to fire:
http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-fix-glute-imbalances/

The important thing is to start as a beginner with the non-load bearing exercises like clamshells and fire hydrants. I thought I was in such good shape when I went to PT for my knees and wasn't aware that my glute muscles weren't actually firing until the PT tested my muscle strength. You have to go slow and easy and in the beginning, just doing real, quality sets of clam shells tired out the muscle quickly! Then I just built up from there. A lot of the intermediate and advanced exercises he describes are ones I do that are in a lot of Cathe's videos (and were ones I also did in PT): firewalkers, step ups, Bulgarian split squats (start unweighted at first), single leg hip thrusts, hip thrusts, walking lunges, etc. Doing the moves in a single leg fashion really ups the challenge and makes sure you don't over take the movement with the stronger leg/glute and it ensures you balance out the muscles. HTH!

ETA: Oh, and also a good one for activating the glutes...heavy kettlebell swings. When you are at the top of the swing you squeeze the glutes HARD. That really gets those muscles firing!
Old 08-28-13, 08:08 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I felt my glute muscles the most when doing a couple of Cathe workouts where she uses a dynaband under the step. She does this in GS Legs and Muscle Max. In GS Legs she uses a high step, and in MM she does it on a lower step, but I feel it in my glutes regardless of the step height. She loops the dynaband underneath the step and pulls on it as she steps up. I don't know why, but I feel this in my glutes more than when using weights. You might have to do more reps than Cathe shows in the dvds in order to get the technique down. Try setting the step at various heights to see which one makes you feel it the most.

The second half of GS Legs also has some good glute exercises using a stability ball.
Old 08-28-13, 08:19 AM  
neatski

Kettlebells, kettlebells, kettlebells.

Nothing I've ever done has worked my posterior chain like kettlebells, and I've done pretty much everything.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 09:12 AM  
gladgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatski View Post
Kettlebells, kettlebells, kettlebells.

Nothing I've ever done has worked my posterior chain like kettlebells, and I've done pretty much everything.
Yep...that would be it....another KB vote....and I'm just thinking of one exercise...the swing...but KB's have so much more to offer in that area....
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-13, 10:11 AM  
marmact

Bret Contreras recently released a book called "Strong Curves." His entire method is based on learning how to fire your glutes. This doesn't just happen; you really have to work at it.
Old 08-28-13, 10:42 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Strong Curves has some good info.

There is also Foundation Training (a book and DVD are available) which works on the posterior chain.

http://foundationtraining.com/core

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 06:01 AM  
Inchworm

Thanks so much for all of your replies. I will have to check out Brett's article again. As for Kettlebells. I loved them, but for some reason, I wind up with periformis types of issues and slight twinges where your upper leg bone inserts into the hip girdle? Is that part of muscle imbalance too? I'm usually pretty strong and have dedicated my last 25 years to working out. I love it! However, lately, I feel as though I love it more than it loves me It's so frustrating when you have the drive to do it, but your body doesn't agree. I also suffer a bit from Epstein barr and felt as though I was having a flare-up about a month ago, of course when I had been 4 weeks into JNL and seeing awesome results.... now back to where I was before JNL, however, still a good weight, 126 and 5'5. I get angry because as soon as I progress to a new level, I feel like I go backwards again.

Thanks for all of your replies, I will check it out. I ordered that Foundations book from Amazon, too.

Kelly
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 06:30 AM  
daisysunshine

Kettlebells! (but you just mentioned it)
another workout I'd really suggest getting is Michele Olson's Fitness Prescription. she works your bum like NO TOMORROW.

I would also like to suggest Pilates. strong core = strong everything else

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-13, 08:54 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Kelly, it could be that you're squeezing your glutes too hard on your swings. I think there's a happy medium. I know for me, if I concentrate on a hard squeeze, I mess up my lower back and the pain transfers to my right pelvic/hip area.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foundation training, glute activation, posterior chain, strong curves