Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-11-22, 09:19 PM  
SpiritYogi

I tried to read Mercy Street by Jennifer Haigh but couldn't make it past chapter three so I moved on to...

Tell Me Everything by Erika Krouse. It's 'part memoir and part literary true crime about a landmark sexual assault investigation and the private investigator who helped crack it open'. The movie, The Hunting Ground is based on the story.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-22, 10:22 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
So I watched the Hulu movie “Deep Water” with Ben Affleck and found out it was based on an older novel written by Patricia Highsmith. I bought a kindle version on Amazon that was definitely not the original! It looks like someone just “typed” it out, lol. All the text was underlined and it was full of typos. Anyway, I made it through.

The book was very dated and it seemed like all the characters did was smoke, drink alcohol, and have parties. It was published in 1957 and it ends much different than the movie. All in all, I actually liked the movie more (although that wasn’t great either).
I really enjoyed the book. Patricia Highsmith is such a good writer. It was dated since it was in the 1950s but I thought it held up well besides the constant smoking and drinking. The movie not only updated the time period but completely changed the characters and ending. I was so disappointed in the movie.
summer breeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-22, 04:34 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I really enjoyed the book. Patricia Highsmith is such a good writer. It was dated since it was in the 1950s but I thought it held up well besides the constant smoking and drinking. The movie not only updated the time period but completely changed the characters and ending. I was so disappointed in the movie.
The book had a lot more detail about their relationship which was was also different in the movie. I had to read it because the way Ben Affleck played Vic’s character seemed “stiff” and cold. But I guess that’s kind of the way the character was supposed to be. The book ending made more sense than the one in the movie, they should have stuck to it instead. They alluded to how everything he did was based on his “love” for her in the movie but the book version was him not wanting a divorce (even though he knew it was a toxic relationship).

I also started reading “The Price of Salt” too since I watched the movie “Carol” that was based on it. I hadn’t read any of her books.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-22, 09:03 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
The book had a lot more detail about their relationship which was was also different in the movie. I had to read it because the way Ben Affleck played Vic’s character seemed “stiff” and cold. But I guess that’s kind of the way the character was supposed to be. The book ending made more sense than the one in the movie, they should have stuck to it instead. They alluded to how everything he did was based on his “love” for her in the movie but the book version was him not wanting a divorce (even though he knew it was a toxic relationship).

I also started reading “The Price of Salt” too since I watched the movie “Carol” that was based on it. I hadn’t read any of her books.
The book definitely made more sense than the movie. I had never read her books either until Deep Water. I enjoyed it so much I bought a bunch of her other books, including the Ripley series, used from ebay and amazon. I'll probably read The Price of Salt and then watch the movie afterwards like I did with Deep Water. Did you enjoy the movie Carol?
Old 04-13-22, 09:18 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
The book definitely made more sense than the movie. I had never read her books either until Deep Water. I enjoyed it so much I bought a bunch of her other books, including the Ripley series, used from ebay and amazon. I'll probably read The Price of Salt and then watch the movie afterwards like I did with Deep Water. Did you enjoy the movie Carol?
Agreed! The movie kind of tried to have the Gone Girl or Fatal Attraction vibe but it was much deeper than that in the book. I really thought the movie Carol was well done! They kept the 50’s setting which made more sense for what their relationship went through (and how she could lose custody of her children). Kate Blanchett and Rooney Mara are both great actresses! I think I read that the movie followed the book more closely so I’ll keep reading. . I haven’t watched or read the Talented Mr. Ripley yet either. You’ll have to let me know how the books compare to the movie.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-22, 09:41 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Agreed! The movie kind of tried to have the Gone Girl or Fatal Attraction vibe but it was much deeper than that in the book. I really thought the movie Carol was well done! They kept the 50’s setting which made more sense for what their relationship went through (and how she could lose custody of her children). Kate Blanchett and Rooney Mara are both great actresses! I think I read that the movie followed the book more closely so I’ll keep reading. . I haven’t watched or read the Talented Mr. Ripley yet either. You’ll have to let me know how the books compare to the movie.
Oh the movie does sound good. I'm looking forward to reading and then watching. I'll do the same with Ripley too and report back
Old 04-14-22, 07:04 AM  
Dancing Queen

Abandoned after 100 Pages:*
Sleeping Bear (Connor Sullivan)

Just Started:
The Turn of the Key (Ruth Ware)

*It's hard for me to give up on a book. Some books with boring beginnings end up being really enjoyable (such as Pillars of the Earth), but some are so unenjoyable that I regret reading them (such as My Brilliant Friend)!

I usually have a good handle on what I will and won't enjoy, but books recommended by others are tricky. I picked this book up based on good reviews, but it's just not working for me.
Dancing Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-22, 08:15 AM  
leigh1673

I just finished Verity by Colleen Hoover. It was.... a lot. I was pretty engaged in the story, although it was quite disturbing in parts. But the reveal towards the end just left me and

Next up is The Dutch House, which I've heard great things about!
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-22, 08:40 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh1673 View Post
I just finished Verity by Colleen Hoover. It was.... a lot. I was pretty engaged in the story, although it was quite disturbing in parts. But the reveal towards the end just left me and

Next up is The Dutch House, which I've heard great things about!

I saw so many raves about Colleen Hoover in a Facebook book group. I tried one book and gave up after fifty pages. It was just bizarre and made no sense . I cannot even remember which book it was. At least it was a library loan.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-22, 10:11 AM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Queen View Post
Just Started:
The Turn of the Key (Ruth Ware)
I just finished that book last night. It was quite a good mystery, IMO. I didn't see the ending coming. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, danielle friedman, kindle, reading, spring reading