Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-16, 09:56 AM  
PennyK

Can we talk about the Posterior Chain?

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-16, 11:07 AM  
Eibhinn

When people talk about working the posterior chain, often they're meaning working on glute activation. Kettlebells are good for this. I particularly like Lauren Brooks' The Kettlebell Body for the glute activation exercises on it. But, really, all "posterior chain" refers to is the muscles on the back side of your body. And because so many of us sit so much and hunch over computers, those muscles often get lazy and weak and we develop movement patterns where we overuse the muscles in the front, which is inefficient because our glute and hamstrings and back muscles are so much larger and capable of much more power, and also it can put too much strain on our knees and other joints because we're not designed to move that way.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-16, 11:19 AM  
bfit

I agree that kettlebells are great for that. Also, core work that works the entire core and not just the abs in front. Finally, for the glutes, back of the thighs, and some lower back you can't beat Cathe's Turbo Barre - it's in her Low Impact set.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-16, 11:42 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Dr. Eric Goodman has a lot of information about strengthening the posterior chain. His work is geared to those with back pain, but we all know strengthening the posterior chain is good for everyone. He has a book and DVD workouts. (The first DVD was really dry and boring. I hope his second set is better!)

https://www.foundationtraining.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOk...z-G5dRqsABppDQ

Deadlifts are a great exercise for the posterior chain if done correctly with extra care to proper weights and form.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-16, 11:43 AM  
PennyK

Old 05-26-16, 01:33 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Penny,

Unfortunately, no. People get so focused on mirror muscles they forget their 'go' muscles. Videos tend to be about equal front to back if not a bit more front. Some of Cathe's older videos were definitely more chest vs back focused.

I have read several places your back vs front work should be 2:1. In fact Dr John Rusin, a trainer, physical therapist and chiropractor just had an article on his Facebook feed about the 2 to 1 ratio earlier this week.

I try to incorporate more pulling movement than pushing when I can, even if I just reduce the volume of pushing reps. I love that Cathe has the rear delt bonus on Xtrain and that she hits them good with a segment in Ripped with HIIT. Helps me balance things out. I have had sternoclavicular joint issues so PT has focused on my rear delts, lats and rhomboids, which has helped with posture also.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate

Last edited by Gibbee; 05-26-16 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Typing on my phone. Autocorrect is annoying, folks.
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-16, 01:39 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

I also enjoy the bandwork in Cathe's videos like Travel Fit. The bow and arrows, T band pulls, etc are also helpful.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-16, 01:39 PM  
cherimac

barre3. Their workouts deliberately focus on the posterior chain.

The back and back body workouts in Pilates by Lisa streaming are good for that, too.
Old 05-27-16, 10:39 AM  
PennyK

Old 05-27-16, 10:50 AM  
Eibhinn

I think a 20 pound kettlebell is good for most women starting with kettlebells. Lauren Brooks' DVDs are a bit weird in that none are best for beginners on their own. Overall, the best is Shut Up and Train. The workouts are short, balanced, and she gives form reminders and occasional modifications. But the DVD doesn't have a tutorial or a warm-up/cool-down on it. The Kettlebell Body has a good tutorial and warm-up, but the workouts are longer and more difficult, but still within the realm of possibility for someone newer to kettlebells. The Kettlebell Body might also be an interesting choice for you since it has one glute-focused routine that includes glute activation.

Probably the best route to start is to find some decent kettlebell tutorials on youtube - I think there are some good StrongFirst tutorials, and that Lauren Brooks might have some - and start with Shut Up and Train. I believe Lauren has some warm-up routines available free to stream on her website if you sign up for an account, or you could just learn a joint mobility routine to do on your own. Brooks also has a book that might be good for learning form a bit - they have a few copies in my library system, so perhaps yours as well. If streaming and paper aren't an option and you're willing to make more of an investment, both SUAT and Kettlebell Body would complement each other as a good starting point, starting with the tutorial on Kettlebell Body, moving on through the workouts on SUAT and then to the workouts on Kettlebell Body, and using the warm-up from Kettlebell Body. But leaving a warm-up and tutorial from her only genuinely beginner DVD was an odd and awkward choice for Brooks, unfortunately.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
imbalances, posterior chain