sherry7899

Thanks so much, Sue!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-16, 09:39 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Does anyone know why the Ambients are so cheap? Mary doesn't say they are dvd-r.
Old 01-10-16, 03:00 PM  
DeepSeaSue

I worked through one of the Ambient DVDs this week (Hong Kong) and just posted a review on my blog. In a nutshell, it has three workouts (two are about 16 minutes each and one is 30 minutes). Two of the workouts were just OK and I probably won't do them again but the third workout (the 30 minute one, along the Hong Kong harbour and skyline) I really liked and will definitely do again.

Among the cons/caveats (and may address ddj's question about why they're so cheap):

*no "play all" option. You have to return to the main menu between each workout to select the next one.
*the footage moves REALLY slow. I know it's a "walk" but I do the Virtual Active walks/hikes on my spin bike with no problem all the time. These ones move super slow. (I still have some "rides" to try which should move a lot faster.)
*no subtitles. Even if you choose the unguided option with Virtual Active, you still get subtitles that pop up at the start of each stage that tell you where you are (ie., in the Hong Kong workout, it would tell you you're entering Victoria Harbour at the start of that stage). I missed these!!
*no music, just ambient sounds. (Although for some people, that's a pro since you like to play your own music).

Oh, and it's a pressed DVD, not a DVD-R.

Overall, it strikes me as a "budget friendly" version of Virtual Active. Not outstanding but by no means terrible. I'm looking forward to trying more of them this week.
DeepSeaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-16, 03:13 PM  
Chomper

I have been looking at clips of DVDs and am in a Goldilocks dilemma. The ones with the beautiful visual quality go way too slow. You see other cyclists blasting past you. That would drive me crazy when I'm pushing hard in my workout.

It seems like so far the ones with more enjoyable speed and more of a real cycling feel also have bad quality picture, jerky motions, annoying graphics diminishing the view or even split screens or pictures within the picture.

I guess I will keep searching.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-16, 03:26 PM  
DeepSeaSue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
I have been looking at clips of DVDs and am in a Goldilocks dilemma. The ones with the beautiful visual quality go way too slow. You see other cyclists blasting past you. That would drive me crazy when I'm pushing hard in my workout.

It seems like so far the ones with more enjoyable speed and more of a real cycling feel also have bad quality picture, jerky motions, annoying graphics diminishing the view or even split screens or pictures within the picture.

I guess I will keep searching.

The Virtual Active Indoor Cycling Group workouts with Jim Karanas move at a pretty good speed. I like the Northern Italy one:

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Vir...Nor-p/2185.htm

I also really like VA's New Zealand Bike workout:

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Vir...DVD-p/2139.htm

I know I've reviewed the New Zealand one on my blog but I'm not sure about the Northern Italy one.

ETA: if the picture-in-picture bothers you, you can always turn off the guided option
DeepSeaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-16, 06:23 PM  
Chomper

Thanks, those are perfect! Just ordered them.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-16, 09:21 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Great blog DeepSeaSue! I was wondering about the new Ambient Dvds, and your review was great, I can't wait to read what you think about the others you got!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycling dvd, scenic views, spinning