Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-07, 07:31 AM  
KathyW
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatfan
Is this chaptered pretty well? Can you just play cardio or just play strength?

I am definitely interested in All About Arms. I really like All About Legs.

Rose
All Systems Go has chapters for each section:
-warm up
-cardio/strength 1
-cardio drills 1
-cardio/strength 2
-cardio drills 2
-cardio/strength 3
-floor exercises
-stretch

There aren't any premixes, but I think it'd be pretty easy to just use the "next" button the the DVD remote to skip certain sections and just do strength or cardio.

All About Arms also has a chapter for each section:
-upper body with bands
-upper body with step and weights (dumbbells)
-upper body with body bar and stability ball
-upper body with gliding discs

I'm pretty sure that the individual exercises aren't chaptered, so you can get from section to section with the "next" button very easily, but you'd need to fast forward to skip individual exercises.

I'm not actually looking at the DVDs now, so someone please correct me about the above if I'm not remembering correctly!
KathyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 10:44 AM  
Jenmgo

The dvd does not have any premixes, it doesnt even have an intro. It is chaptered exactly as posted above - warmup, strength/cardio1, cardio 1, strength/cardio 2, cardio 2 and strength/cardio 3, followed by floorwork/abs then a stretch.

mindy does say throughout the workout that you can do just all strength, or just all cardio and that its your workout. In order to do that you could just hit the next button, or return to the menu. I think if you did all cardio the dvd would be 2 short since there are only 2 cardio sections. But im a cardio junkie. THe strength drills are highly anaerobic and your heart rate shoots up there as well. its 64 mins long from start to finish and the time flies. Hope this helps! now..i just need to get myself a bar...
Jenmgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 02:22 PM  
lorajc

I did this last week and hated it. I don't know if I need to give it another chance. I did it on a day when I wanted a good strength workout with some cardio and I guess maybe the problem was that it was mostly cardio with some FF/STrength thrown in.

Should I try it on another day? This is the first Mindy workout I've really disliked so much.

I'd like to hear more opinions on this. Please try to talk me into liking this!
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 03:58 PM  
Calistro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc
I did this last week and hated it. I don't know if I need to give it another chance. I did it on a day when I wanted a good strength workout with some cardio and I guess maybe the problem was that it was mostly cardio with some FF/STrength thrown in.

Should I try it on another day? This is the first Mindy workout I've really disliked so much.

I'd like to hear more opinions on this. Please try to talk me into liking this!

Hi Lorajc,

with so many other good workouts to do, what is the point of trying to like it?,
at least you actually tried it , which is more than I can say for my self. Sometimes I just view a workout and decide to trade it if I dont like the look of it, and I am sorry, but I dont like the look of this one and will be trading it. I think I saw a lot of impact on it, and a lot of prancing around the body bar , not my thing, so no guilt for me, I still have too many virgins.

Calistro
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 04:16 PM  
BarbK
VF Supporter

I'm no help either....I only did the first circuit/section once and then took it out. I don't have any desire to try it again either. Probably not having a light enough body bar doesn't help.
BarbK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 04:34 PM  
KathyW
VF Supporter

I finally got around doing this for the first time this morning, and I really liked it!

I agree that's it definitely more cardio/plyo/leg strength/anaerobic intervals rather than a strength workout with cardio mixed in. If you like P90X plyo or Mindy's interval workouts, you might like this. It also kind of reminded my of Sharon Twombly's All Body Cardio, though that one has a bit more upper body work. You'll be disappointed if you want a cardio-weight circuit workout like Cathe's Low Impact Circuit, High Step Challenge, or Cardio & Weights. There's very little upper body work, and the lower body work has a lot of plyos and *really* keeps your heart rate up.

Then strength sections start with a lower body move like squats are lunges, and then you speed the movement up and then add some jumping/plyos. Each strength section has a few different exercise progressions. You use a six pound body bar - I think a Firm-style dowel would also work, since you often use it for balance, not for extra weight. Because of all the plyo moves, you would probably also get a good workout with no bar at all. (The bar is fun, though.) I don't think it would go well with a bar much heavier than 6 pounds, though maybe you're more hard core than I am!

The cardio is a lot of fun. You lay your body bar on the floor and do cardio around it almost like it was a step. The first cardio section uses the bar horizontally on the floor in front ot you, and the secton one uses it vertically. If you like Mindy's step work in Interval Express etc., you'll like this, too. It was a lot of fun, and a nice change of pace using the bar. (You can do all the cardio without the bar, too - one exerciser shows that option.)

The cardio sections were more doable for me, since I do a lot of step workouts. The strength/cardio sections really kicked my butt! I think my legs will feel sore tomorrow, and it really pushed me into my anaerobic zone as well.

If you like to work legs without weights and with more reps, this might appeal to you, because it definitely gets into your legs, but all the weight you use is a six pound body bar. And you often use it for balance rather than to add weight to the exercise.

Mindy isn't chatty in this one, probably because it's so frikkin' tough! She's cheerful and encouraging - still Mindy-like, but a bit less talking. She interacts nicely with her two background exercisers, which is something I always like about her. One background exerciser shows modifications throughout, including keeping the strength sections low impact/plyo-free. It's nice to have that option right there if you need to take it down a notch for a bit - some of the sections really get your heartrate up there!

I really loved this one... Lorajc- I'd say it's worth another try if you usually like Mindy!
KathyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 04:55 PM  
Lifeisgood

Thanks for all the reviews. I've been waiting on this one because I just have too many dvds that are sitting on the shelf.

So...if you already have Energy Action Circuit, do you need this one?

For those who have both, what are the main differences?

A Goal Without A Plan Is Just A Wish
Lifeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 04:57 PM  
Buffgirl

I Love All Systems Go

I like workout that keep your heart rate up the whole time, even during the strength sections, which is mostly lower body, I did this morning again, I add one section of Mindy's all about arms and I get a great cardio/strength workout. This workout is athletic and tough.
Buffgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 05:06 PM  
icey

Thanks for this review. I ordered this workout from Jen @ Advanced workouts, along with the gliding one with Keli Roberts (I like her). Getting back into my gliding....
Old 03-16-07, 05:15 PM  
lorajc

That's a good suggestion..........I can omit a small cardio segment and add a segment from All About Arms! The thought crossed my mind before, but I guess I needed to hear it from someone else.

I have the Core Bar (from Leisa Hart) It adjusts to 12 Pounds (which I used) and 8 pounds. I didn't think 8 would be heavy enough.

I'll have to try it on another day. I need variety in my workouts.........so maybe the fact that I was in the mood for more upper body did this in for me.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
all about arms, all systems go mindy