Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-07, 06:21 PM  
doskymom

Any more comments on Leslie's Walk Slim?

I just got these today and was very excited to have new walking workouts to boost my pedometer steps as things are getting heated in the Pedometer Wars. So far, I've only done the Fast Start 1 & 2 Mile Walk. I pretty much agree with Squeakie's previous comments. My biggest disappointment is that Leslie only included two new songs - "I've Got a New Attitude" and "I Feel Good", using them as bookends for her familiar older music. I can't help but think it would have been SO nice to have new music all the way through - especially seeing how the music is apparently repeated in all three walks. I didn't particularly care for the dark set or the cameraman that swings through the screen every once in awhile. Also, when Jim and Jo start doing the leg swings, they each go at a different speed - not big deals, but I guess it all adds up to me being not overly excited about this set - at least not from what I've seen in the 1 & 2 Mile Walk. I will do the others this weekend. Maybe I will enjoy them more.

P. S. I just did the 3 Fast Mile and liked this one. New music is used throughout and it was a nice change. Leslie doesn't cue well in this one, though, and she acts like she had a snort or something before filming because she even realizes she's not cueing well and finds the whole thing pretty funny. She lets Marykay lead for a few minutes except Marykay is not miked, so unless you can read lips, the cueing situation is not improved any.
doskymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-07, 10:35 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Wow. Sounds kind of underwhelming, and not terribly professional.

I, too, hate that she uses the same music over and over. You know she's making plenty of money so she can certainly afford some different pieces. Oh well, I guess she doesn't think she has to.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-07, 10:55 PM  
LCC
VF Supporter

I really don't care for the dark set, or the lights that shine out at the cameras from a certain camera angle. The camera guy that swings through like a mechanical tarzan every now and then, I find amusing.

But, I do like the workouts. I did the 2 mile one and enjoyed the faster pace. I did skates instead of leg swings though because I've just always thought leg swings were stupid. (No offense to anyone who thinks they're the bees knees.)

I was surprised that the band firming workout was pretty decent.

From the credits, it looks like there really isn't any big money behind this set of DVDs, so I'll cut it some slack. I would rather have faster more advanced walks on a cheap set than another set of the same old slow stuff on a nice set.

And, music wise, as long as that "WALK! POWER WALK! WALK! POWER WALK!...." song doesn't show up again, I'm happy.

Laura (LCC)
LCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-07, 11:44 PM  
slimandfit

LCC, I know what you mean about the warm up in WATP Express series! I hate that "walk walk power walk walk power walk" warm up marching song whatever. They use the same song in all the Express workouts and the warm up is around 5 minutes long at that! That's why I only use the 4 Mile Super Challenge DVD which is the best in the series anyway. I can't stand using all the DVDs and hearing the same silly warm up song.

Anyway, I'm still ordering the Walk Slim series because I really want more 3 and 4 mile walks. I don't mind the dark set and I don't mind if they repeat songs. What matters to me is the faster pace of the workouts.
slimandfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-07, 02:45 AM  
SydneyH

Arrow reply

Umm, I kinda like the 'Walk Power Walk' anthem in the Express series. But I digress, I have had the chance to do the 2, 3 & 4 Fast Miles workouts, but in fairness only once so I want to save my comments and opinions for the next go-round. I can say however, that I too was expecting different music but it's not a major factor, imo.
SydneyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-07, 07:12 AM  
doskymom

I guess one of the reasons new music makes a difference to me is that I get bored easily if I'm doing the same choreography to the same music. (It's like rehearsing a dance all year long for a big recital. When you first learn the dance, you love the choreography and the music, but by the time the recital finally gets there, you're sick of the whole thing because you've just done it too many times.)

I haven't quite got the timer thing figured out, either. By starting the timer 4 - 4 1/2 minutes into the workout, does that mean the warm up didn't count toward the "mileage" of the workout? I don't find these much faster than many of her others.

I think my favorite of hers is still the 1-Mile Super Challenge. I don't know why, but that's the easiest one for me to do repeatedly.
Old 01-27-07, 07:49 AM  
Diana3271

Does these workouts seem faster? Doskymom I saw your post that they do not seem faster. That is the motivation for me. I have been doing the fast miles on the 5 mile walk and I love them. I have had the 5 mile walk for a week now and I have walked 17 miles with it. That is huge for me. I hope I don't get tired of it any time soon, LOL. I was really looking forward to the new set, but if it isn't any faster, that will defeat the purpose for me. I would love a 1 or 2 hour DVD with all 10-12 minute miles on it and it would be programmable. It could have the Walk Walk Power Walk song on it, I kinda find it motivating, LOL. But that's just me and my wacky little head, LOL.
Diana3271 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-07, 08:35 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doskymom
I think my favorite of hers is still the 1-Mile Super Challenge. I don't know why, but that's the easiest one for me to do repeatedly.
The opening guitar music is really nice. Plus, Leslie is just insane in this and makes the funniest (weirdest!) comments: "There is nothing more attractive than energy out of your face". So it's a favorite with me, too! IMO she should have packaged her 1-Mile Jog, 1-Mile Booster and the 1-Mile SC all together on one dvd. That would've been a great value!

Last edited by Lucky Star; 01-27-07 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Correct a video title
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-07, 09:56 AM  
JustSandra

Love this set!

I love this set!

To paraphrase some recent threads:

The good: The pace on all three walking workouts is FAST! They music is good, and the sound is properly balanced so that it is loud yet you can still hear Leslie (there is also a "Leslie off" feature). The workouts are chaptered by warm-up, individual mile, and cool down -- something I've wished for a long time with Leslie's workouts. That will make it easier to make short workouts out of the longer ones. I love seeing the old gang in Three Fast Miles, and that Leslie has Mary Kay lead for a couple minutes -- kind of a nice flashback to 1-2-3 Super Fat Burner. I like the cheery, party atmosphere in all three walking workouts. I like that none of them use boosters -- it is just fast walking with optional jogging spurts. Leslie also reintroduces steps she used in her older workouts like tap-outs, grapevines, etc.

The bad: Leslie's cueing is, well, casual at best. As usual she chats non-stop, and at some points she is giggly, almost giddy. This doesn't bother me at all, but I can see how it would irritate others. I also didn't mind the dark set, although in the Four Fast Miles everyone looks pretty crowded together.

The ugly: The outfits -- seems like they add inches to everyone's hips! And the ordering experience was pretty ugly, too. My original order was lost, I did a replacement order by phone, and now my original order was "found" and is on its way to me (sigh).

All of the above applies to the walking workouts. The band workout is led by Leslie alone. It is a pleasant, not-too-tough workout, but nothing I would go out of my way to acquire otherwise.

Sandra
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-07, 10:15 AM  
doskymom

Sandra,

Didn't you think it was a little weird, though, that when Leslie has Marykay lead, she's not even miked? She's giving instruction and the only one you can hear is Leslie who is chatting with the background exercisers. It would have made a lot more sense to me to put a mike on her if she was going to lead part of the workout.

The outfits don't bother me (except in the 1 & 2 Mile Walk, they didn't seem well coordinated. I thought they looked nice in the 3 Fast Miles, though, and I don't think the black pants added inches to anyone's hips - I thought Linda and Jo looked very good.)

I'll be doing the 4 Fast Miles - NOW!

This new set has a very casual feel about it to me.

Tags
mary kay bruening